Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

13 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

An investment of $88MM returning $1.5B in 30 years is an annualized ROI of 9.91%.  That is good but nothing remarkable IMO.  Notably, it does not take into account any additional investment Taylor needed to put in along the way nor does it take into account any profits Taylor took out along the way.

https://www.calculator.net/roi-calculator.html?beginbalance=88&endbalance=1%2C500&investmenttime=length&investmentlength=30

For comparison's sake, the S&P 500 had a ROI of 8.4% per year from 1994 to 2024. That does not take into account dividends, which one could have been reinvesting along the way.  By reinvesting the dividends, the annualized ROI would be 10.27% and $88MM would have become $1.722B.

https://www.officialdata.org/us/stocks/s-p-500/1994?amount=88&endYear=2024

Taylor's done okay on the investment. It's hard to gauge how well without knowing how much profit he was pocketing along the way. When considering that, also consider that he was actually working for that profit. Dropping money into an index fund requires almost no work along the way.  For those of us that have 30 years left on this earth and don't want to manage an asset (like being a landlord or owning a business) index funds are a simple option that has historically done decently well. You might do better owning a business, but it is quite a bit more complicated of an investment to deal with.  You might also do worse owning a business.

Either way, turning $88MM into $1.5B in 30 years is nothing that stands out as super remarkable. Take it as a lesson in why you ought to invest as early as possible to get to a cushy retirement.

Well Glen Taylor's net worth was $2.8 billion in 2023, so if he does indeed end up selling the Wolves completely it will be even more than that.  He is the richest man in the state correct.  

Also with a average NBA single game "approximately $1-2 million in revenue for the home franchise during the regular season. This figure includes income from ticket sales, concessions, parking, and merchandise sold at the arena.".  And there are 41 home games a year.  That is not even including merchandise outside of game day or the TV contracts and that revenue....  Not sure what the Wolves make per season minus expenses but considering how well they did this year and how much merch was sold, that also has to be taken into account.  

I looked at that same calculator, it still says what 94% profit on that little investment, but yeah inflation and the large time span hurts it.  If you put those same numbers and change it to 5 years one has a ROI of 1,604.55% and annualized ROI of 76.33%

I still hope the dude just cuts the cord, sucks having the absolute star of the franchise, KG hate his guts and he hates his guts for a reason.  KG wanted to take a minority ownership then Flip Sanders wanted to possibly join him and they would buy  the team outright.  Clearly that never happen and the best Timberwolves player all time and Hall of Famer does not even have his jersey in the rafters!  Guess where his jersey is retired, Boston.  Glen Taylor just needs to take his money and move on, then again guys like that do not buy sports franchises always because it is a great investment, they buy them to become more famous and in the public eye.  But it is not exactly like a money hole where one makes no profit either obviously....

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

And then middle of July for MLB draft.

I'll be curious to see what the Wolves do. Terrance Shannon Jr is a name that I've seen tossed around, he had legal issues and was acquitted recently, so he'd probably go higher, but teams are kind of scrambling to get him on the board somewhere.

I haven't looked at who the Wild are looking at or rumored to be looking at.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

And then middle of July for MLB draft.

I'll be curious to see what the Wolves do. Terrance Shannon Jr is a name that I've seen tossed around, he had legal issues and was acquitted recently, so he'd probably go higher, but teams are kind of scrambling to get him on the board somewhere.

I haven't looked at who the Wild are looking at or rumored to be looking at.

Shannon is a bucket getter no question but he is pretty old.  I think the Wolves need to address the PG spot but not sure any will be around honestly, it is arguably the biggest issue on the roster currently.

Rob Dillingham is more of a SG type so not a true PG.  Cam Christie I would like to get because of his upside but again not really a PG.  Baylor Scheierman again not a PG but a good shooter at least.  

Curious if a guy like Tyler Kolek is worth it, he can play the position and is versatile but not sure he is worth a 1st round pick.  Tristen Newton I would not mind either but he is more of a 2nd round pick.  So maybe they go best player available in the 1st round then get Kolek or Newton in the early 2nd.  Both those two guys can score, rebound, pass and defend.  Good versatility with both.  

I’m not the greatest basketball draft mind, but giving up a 1st in 2030 and a 1st in 2031 for a top 10 pick, while keeping your scheduled 1st round pick, and all of your players seems like highway robbery. 

• Like 4

Wow trading up to the #8th pick, what a move.  Did not expect that one, pretty aggressive but it is great they got a guard and a scoring guard at that.  And who knows maybe it does not go through and I am not sure what they give up, but clearly NBA 1st round picks are not nearly as important to give up, especially if one already has a good roster and starting 5.

Dillingham I was not super high on but hard to not like that potential scoring punch off the bench and a scoring backup to Conley.  Curious why he was not a starter on Kentucky but they did have Shepard and Wagner of course and the senior in Reeves.  Great isolation player who can take pressure off Edwards and provide much needed scoring.  

Awesome aggressive move and if he can play and produce, he is clearly cheaper than signing a veteran to fill that role.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not the greatest basketball draft mind, but giving up a 1st in 2030 and a 1st in 2031 for a top 10 pick, while keeping your scheduled 1st round pick, and all of your players seems like highway robbery. 

Yeah I assumed this years 1st rounder and the 2nd was included but if it is indeed just what you said and so far out, that is pretty nuts.  2030 seems crazy that is freaking 6 years from now....

8. Minnesota Timberwolves (from Spurs): Rob Dillingham, PG/SG, Kentucky

The Timberwolves crashed into the top 10 to add Rob Dillingham. This could be a stroke of genius. They have a short-term need for shooting and shot-creation off the bench and a long-term need for a post-Mike Conley plan at point guard. Dillingham can check both boxes.

If Dillingham had a bit more heft to his rail-thin 164-pound frame, he might not have made it out of the top five. Few prospects in this class (if any) are slippier off the dribble, and when he creates an advantage, he'll exploit it with pull-ups, runners, floaters or timely drive-and-kick deliveries.

He competes hard on defense as well, although NBA teams will still target him on that end of the floor due to his lack of size. If any club is capable of covering for him, though, it's one anchored by Rudy Gobert and featuring both Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels on the wing.

Minnesota paid a steep price—an unprotected 2031 first-round pick and a top-1-protected 2030 pick swap, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski—but the fit looks phenomenal.

Grade: B

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10126185-2024-nba-draft-live-grades-for-every-round-1-pick

what's unprotected and protected mean here...?

Edited by vike daddy

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what's unprotected and protected mean here...?

So in 2031, whatever pick in the 1st round that the Timberwolves have it goes to the Spurs.

In 2030 if the Wolves are picking #1, they won't swap picks with the Spurs. But if the Wolves are picking #2 and the Spurs #10, the Spurs will get pick #2 and the Wolves will get pick #10. 

7 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

In 2030 if the Wolves are picking #1, they won't swap picks with the Spurs. But if the Wolves are picking #2 and the Spurs #10, the Spurs will get pick #2 and the Wolves will get pick #10. 

aaaah, a "Top 1 protected" pick, i get it.

can you make something like a Top 1-3 protected pick? so in 2031 if the Wolves have the top 1 pick, do the Spurs get nothing for today's trade, or is there some other form of compensation?

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

aaaah, a "Top 1 protected" pick, i get it.

can you make something like a Top 1-3 protected pick? so in 2031 if the Wolves have the top 1 pick, do the Spurs get nothing for today's trade, or is there some other form of compensation?

Yeah, the Wolves and teams will often have picks that are Top 3 protected or Top 10 protected in trades.

If the Wolves were to have pick #1 in 2031 the Spurs still get the pick from 2030. So the Spurs will get something, but what they get is only guaranteed in 2030.

15 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

If the Wolves were to have pick #1 in 2031 the Spurs still get the pick from 2030. So the Spurs will get something, but what they get is only guaranteed in 2030.

that's absolutely crazy, on the Spurs' part. they just allowed another team to trade up 5 spots or whatever so to get two picks five years from now, and could only get one?

oh, but then your draft slot is determined by a weighted random chance?  i guess that makes it more likely the Spurs will get the '31 pick.

but still....

Wolves have some nice looking players available. Shannon Jr is still available if they want to get even more offense and guard play. Or there's the big from Duke, not the biggest defender, but a good shooting big, would be potentially more big scoring off of the bench.