Early Mock Offseason

BuffaloBulldog

*Did my best guess for the contracts, not an exact science and I'm sure some of them are off.

Roster Moves:

Trade Tyrod to Denver for a 5th

I think Tyrod to Denver is one of the more realistic trades that could happen for Buffalo. Elway is under a lot of pressure to get them back into the playoffs with a roster full of talent but lacking any serviceable QB. Tyrod isn’t going to carry the team but I think the Broncos could move back into the playoffs with him. We would have to take on a portion of Tyrod’s salary with the move but would still create some cap space.

Cordy Glenn, Bills 2nd, Bills 5th for Chicago 2nd

Bears have 41M in cap room and a huge need at OT. Bills could dump some salary and move up in the draft to get a 3rd player in the top 40 of the draft.

Cut Jerry Hughes (post June 1st)

Hughes’ combination of a lack of production and a lack of discipline should result in him getting cut this spring. Everything about him doesn’t seem to fit the type of team McDermott is trying to build. Time for Buffalo to cut ties and rebuild the defensive line.

Cut Lorenzo Alexander

Alexander is such an awesome guy to have in the community and in the locker room for the Bills but he plain and simple does not fit in as a 4-3 OLB. Hopefully he can sign on with a team that can use him as a 3-4 edge and have another good year like he did under Rex.

Re-Sign

EJ Gaines (5/$35 Million)- Gaines was awesome for the Bills this year and would be a solid CB to bring back as a #2 without breaking the bank for Buffalo. At only 25, Gaines and White could be a great DB combo for years to come.

Preston Brown (4/$16 million)- Finished the year leading the league in tackles, Brown should only get better as the talent around him gets better. Seems like a good fit in McDermotts scheme.

Kyle Williams (1/$5 Million)- Bring back Williams on a 1 year deal because I can’t imagine he’d play any more years than that. No brainer if he wants to come back for another year.  

Travaris Cadet (1/$1.5 Million)- Looked great in his limited snaps last year. Would be a good depth signing for the price.

Leonard Johnson (1/$1.5 Million)- McDermott seems to really like Johnson who was pretty up and down in his first year here. I think he comes back for another year to keep last years solid secondary together.

Nick O’Leary (3/$11 Million)- O’Leary has been reliable as a backup TE for the last few years. I’m sure the Bills will try to move on from Clay after next season but O’Leary would remain as a decent #1 or a good #2 TE in the league.

Cedrick Thorton (1/$750k)- Thorton showed flashes this year for Buffalo. I think he’d be a good guy to bring back because McD shuffles his defensive linemen so frequently.

Free Agents

Teddy Bridgewater (2/$22 Million)- I’m a big believer in Bridgewater being able to get back to form. Buffalo could be a great opportunity for him with a great running game already established. If Bridgewater can get back to anything close to his 2015 form then he would be the best free agent available for the Bills. Giving him a two year deal doesn’t lock the Bills in for too long but gives Teddy a chance to prove himself and secure a bigger deal.

Star Lotulelei (4/$40 Million)- This seems like a pretty boring signing that every mock has but it seems like it all lines up too perfectly. Lotulelei fits a huge need for Buffalo and McDermott loves bringing in his Carolina guys.

Kony Ealy (3/$8 Million)- Ealy didn’t really produce during his time with the Jets but had his best seasons in Carolina under McDermott. Here’s another guy McD knows well and hopefully he couldrespark Ealy’s career in a revamped Buffalo defensive line.

Terelle Pryor (1/$4.5 Million)- Pryors one year in Washington was a disaster but you can’t ignore the moster year he had in Cleveland before that. Pryor is a guy worth taking a flyer on as our other outside WR allowing Zay to move into the slot. Bills can give him another one year deal and let him bet on himself again

Derek Anderson (2/$2 Million)- Another former Carolina guy. Anderson is 34 but proved serviceable when Cam Newton has gone down. This gives the Bills an option other than Peterman if they lose their starter.

Dannell Ellerbe (1/$1.5 Million)- Ellerbe’s production has fallen off in recent years but he could be good as a rotational depth LB. He brings a lot of experience to a young LB core and has won a superbowl.

Draft:

Round 1: Harold Landry DE Boston College

Landry would be a steal this late in the first round but there is a ton off good defensive ends in the first round to have him become available. Landry was a monster at BC with great production. He’d be a great piece to help retool our defensive line.

Round 1: Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame

McGlinchey would be a day 1 starter at RT and would probably stay there for the next 10 years for Buffalo. A road grader OT, he could help take our rushing attack to the next level.

Round 2: (Chicago): Malik Jefferson OLB Texas

Jefferson would be a steal at 40 overall and would be a huge improvement to Lorenzo Alexander on defense. Jefferson is a freak athlete that could succeed in run support and coverage as an OLB.

Round 2: (LA Rams): Kerryon Johnson RB Auburn

With the amount of picks the Bills have they can afford to take a risk and go with a true BPA pick. That exactly what Kerryon Johnson would be. McCoy is 29 and while he’s still playing at a high level, it wouldn’t hurt to keep the future in mind. Johnson is an awesome blend of speed and power who would be a great one two punch with Shady.

Round 3 (Philly): Armani Watts S Texas A&M

While the Bills have a pair of great safetys, there isn’t really any depth behind them. Watts is a great safety that seems to have just dropped in rankings because of the depth of the position in this class. Watts can play either safety position.

Round 4: Lowell Lotulelei DT Utah

Lowell could team up with his older brother Star in Buffalo and wreak havoc up the middle for the Bills defense. Like his brother, Lowell eats up space and should make it easier for Landry and Shaq Lawson to make plays.

Round 5 (Denver): Holton Hill CB Texas

Hill was suspended for the final 3 games of the year for violating team rules at Texas, causing his draft stock to fall. Hill has great size and speed as a DB and is worth a flyer in the 5th round. If he can avoid trouble off the field Hill could end up being a huge draft steal.

Round 5 (Jax): Richie James WR Middle Tennessee State

Richie James is an athletic freak who would be a fun addition for new OC Brian Daboll. The Bills don’t have an absolute burner like James on the roster and would help whoever is under center stretch the field.

Blue: FA

Red: Draft

QB: Bridgewater, Anderson, Peterman,

RB: McCoy, Johnson, Cadet

FB: Dimarco

WR1: Benjamin, Holmes

WR 2: Pryor

Slot: Jones, James

TE: Clay, O’Leary, Towbridge

LT: Dawkins, McDermott

LG: Incognito

C: Wood, Groy

RG: Ducasse, Miller

RT: McGlinchey, Mills

DE: Lawson , Yarbrough, Davis

DT: Williams, Washington, Thorton

DT:  S.Lotulelei, L. Lotulelei

DE: Landry, Ealy

WLB: Milano, Vallejo

MLB: Brown, Lacey

SLB: Jefferson, Ellerbe

CB1: White, Johnson

CB2: Gaines, Hill

FS: Hyde,

SS: Poyer, Watts

P: Schmidt

K: Hauschka

Let me know what you think!

I'm not a fan of Bridgewater and don't think he was a good QB even when he was healthy. Pryor was so bad in Washington I don't know if we could really rely on a guy who provided nothing to a successful pass attack in Washington. I like the additions to our defense and think we could have a really balanced defense with this offseason. 

I'm also not huge on taking a second round RB. Shady has been fine and I think you can get good value later in the draft. 

In the end I'd be very disappointed in going into the season with Teddy Bridgewater coming off a huge injury, especially when we're in the best position to get a franchise guy than we're probably be in another decade. I think I'd honestly rather have another year of Tyrod instead of Bridgewater. 

I don't hate it but I'd bet we struck out a lot on the FA QB's as Bridgewater is a last option.  I also don't like the signing of Pryor.  I love the D signings and wouldn't mind your draft becoming true either thank you for doing a Mock I love these things!!!   

45 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I'm not a fan of Bridgewater and don't think he was a good QB even when he was healthy. Pryor was so bad in Washington I don't know if we could really rely on a guy who provided nothing to a successful pass attack in Washington. I like the additions to our defense and think we could have a really balanced defense with this offseason. 

I'm also not huge on taking a second round RB. Shady has been fine and I think you can get good value later in the draft. 

In the end I'd be very disappointed in going into the season with Teddy Bridgewater coming off a huge injury, especially when we're in the best position to get a franchise guy than we're probably be in another decade. I think I'd honestly rather have another year of Tyrod instead of Bridgewater. 

Its a tough double edged sword when it comes to the QB situation. In order to get one of those top two guys you have to give up a lot of the draft assets we've acquired. If that ends up being the move we make then its tough to fill in a lot of the holes we have. I'm not totally sure where i stand on it but I guess watching Minnesota has made me a believer in having a really complete team rather than forcing for a QB (Maybe thats not the case after tonight).

I understand anyone doubting Bridgewater but I guess he's one of the better options if you aren't one of the teams ending up with Cousins, Rosen, or Darnold. 

As far as the Johnson pick goes its partially because of his age and partially because I feel like the Bills have been so lucky with his health since he's been on the team. If he goes down right now we'd really be in trouble. 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Fan said:

I don't hate it but I'd bet we struck out a lot on the FA QB's as Bridgewater is a last option.  I also don't like the signing of Pryor.  I love the D signings and wouldn't mind your draft becoming true either thank you for doing a Mock I love these things!!!   

I'm not super sure on Pryor either but I think its an awesome risk vs reward opportunity because you are getting him on a 1 year contract that is going to be significantly less than the Washington contract. 

As others have said, I would be lukewarm with Bridgewater. Was never a huge fan of his and that injury is as scary as it gets. 

I do think Anderson is a legitimate option to sign, as is Ealy and the guys you re-signed.

All in all I wouldn't hate it because the "process" is going to take a few years and I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a step back next season. 

Not a fan of this mock in any way....Trading Tyrod isnt going to happen bills will end up cutting him. No one will want to take him with a 1 year 11 mil cap hit and denver is hurting for cap space as it is.

Cutting Hughes would be a massive mistake, whether people see it or not he actually had one of his better years. Qbs passing in the flats on his side were at an all time low, he almost reached his top year in tackles and played over 100 snaps less than that year and was short by 6 tackles. McDermott doesn't rush the passer as much as other guys like Schwartz so you cannot bas his performance on sacks as he was doing what the coaches playbook said. Also bills DT position was at its weakest in over a decade which causes plenty of issues for DE. Letting him go to clear up a few million isnt worth it even if it was a post June 1st cut the 2019 cap would suffer because of it. He is still young to play the position and keeping him at one of the thinnest positions on the team would be the smart move.

As for Kyle Williams he got paid 10 mil last year anything less he will stick with retirement. It isn't on the bills to bring him back its him wanting to continue to play and honestly I do not see it happening especially after Wood had to retire seeing a good friend have to end his career on a serious injury isnt something he probably wants to do as he has 5 kids to take care of.

Only fan of resigning Gaines and Leonard, then signing Star the rest are bad signings in my opinion. Kony ealy isnt going to take a 3 year 9 mil deal especially when he played well for Jets and they have a 100 mil in space once they cut Mo Wilkerson so I expect him to be resigned to Jets for probably a 3 year 15-16 mil deal. Pryor is garbage the guy proved it let him go back to Cleveland if the Redskins do cut him which he is still on their roster. 

Archived