Giants hire James Bettcher to be DC

TheKillerNacho

48 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000910020/article/giants-hiring-james-bettcher-as-defensive-coordinator

Interesting... didn't he run a 3-4 in Arizona? Does he try to convert the Giants to a 3-4? If so, what would it look like?

He did. This probably means guys playing multiple positions, OV as a stand-up edge rusher, JPP as a 3-4 DE/interior pass rusher, same scheme he ran in AZ.

The fact that he was the front-runner to the Titans' vacant DC spot all but confirms a switch to a 3-4.

1 hour ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Spags will be missed, but Bettcher is a very solid hire. Very flexible DC who will tailor the scheme to the player's strength.

My guess is the transition year will feature the 4-3 Under which is a hybrid b/w the two traditional fronts.

I certainty won't miss Spags. Too many defenses where he has ranked last. Unacceptable.

7 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Spags will be missed, but Bettcher is a very solid hire. Very flexible DC who will tailor the scheme to the player's strength.

My guess is the transition year will feature the 4-3 Under which is a hybrid b/w the two traditional fronts.

Flexible? Tailor to players strengths??

It took until midseason this year and senior defensive players to approach him to tell him to simplify what he was doing and allow them to play to their strengths defensively that he changed anything.

Look at the pre-bye results this year. 5/7 games 28+ points allowed. The two exceptions were the Colts and Garapollo less 49ers. The real change came with about 6 weeks to go in the season, Bettcher got out of his own way and the defensive performance sky-rocketed. 255 total yards allowed and nearly 2 turnovers a game.

It will be interesting to see how he goes. But I don't think he has earned being called flexible and will tailor to players strengths yet. He gameplans well, but doesn't adjust.

Very much still growing in the role though. Could turn into a very good hire.

30 minutes ago, khodder said:

Flexible? Tailor to players strengths??

It took until midseason this year and senior defensive players to approach him to tell him to simplify what he was doing and allow them to play to their strengths defensively that he changed anything.

Look at the pre-bye results this year. 5/7 games 28+ points allowed. The two exceptions were the Colts and Garapollo less 49ers. The real change came with about 6 weeks to go in the season, Bettcher got out of his own way and the defensive performance sky-rocketed. 255 total yards allowed and nearly 2 turnovers a game.

It will be interesting to see how he goes. But I don't think he has earned being called flexible and will tailor to players strengths yet. He gameplans well, but doesn't adjust.

Very much still growing in the role though. Could turn into a very good hire.

I'd be interested in reading that. I scouted their defense in '16 and on only a few occasions this year and came away impressed with his hybrid Nickel scheme, so I am not aware of any player/coach conflicts.

I don't think there was a conflict per se, the defense just needed a change. Get back to basics, allow them to play with speed and without thinking.

Over the final 6 weeks of the season the Cardinals defense was as good as any in the NFL. When the team got back to basics (and closer to their 2016 squad schematically) over the first 7 weeks of the season the defense was as bad as any in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, khodder said:

I don't think there was a conflict per se, the defense just needed a change. Get back to basics, allow them to play with speed and without thinking.

Over the final 6 weeks of the season the Cardinals defense was as good as any in the NFL. When the team got back to basics (and closer to their 2016 squad schematically) over the first 7 weeks of the season the defense was as bad as any in the NFL.

What was it in their scheme that changed in early '17 from '16?

Archived