Super Bowl Thread

Leader

23 minutes ago, Chinaski_86 said:

You make it seem that all the Eagles defense did was give up yards. They also gave up points. Lots of them. 33 points despite missing a PAT and an easy FG. 

Both teams would have destroyed Dom's defense. I'm the last person to defend him but stop acting like the Eagles defense did well on Sunday. They got completely abused by Brady. One strip sack doesn't change that. That's like saying Blake Bortles played well against Buffalo because he threw the game winning TD. 

I'm not saying they did well but it wasn't like the Patriots were just instantly scoring every time they had the ball. The score was 22-12 at halftime. Do I have to remind what happened to us in the NFC Championship Game against Atlanta. The Eagles defense got off to a good start but its hard to hold down the Patriots for an entire game. They have such stamina and close out games so well. Throughout the game the Eagles were getting a rush on Brady and disrupted quite a few plays. They didn't just look completely lost like our defenses have over the last few years. It's pretty much the eye test. You watch the Packers and we just give up way too many easy uncontested plays. It's not like Patriots receivers were just running wide open all over the field. Philly made Brady play a clean game and forced him to make tough throws. It's tough to slow down Tom Brady and that Patriots offense with two weeks of preparation. Even the vaunted Seattle defense gave up over 30 points to Brady in the Super Bowl a few years ago. I'm telling you. Dom would have given up 45+ against Brady playing like he was on Sunday. Like they say, sometimes there's no defense for a perfect pass. Foles and Brady were red hot on Sunday night and were making really good throws. Like we've seen from Rodgers so many times. Sometimes you just can't stop that. My problem with Dom's defenses is that it has just been too easy.  Philly was getting hits on Brady. It wasn't just a walk in the park for Brady.

That Eagles defense stopped Brady TWICE in the final two minutes of the game. Dom's defenses would have given up two scoring drives. Were the Eagles the 2015 Broncos or 2013 Seahawks. No. Not even close. Were they much better than our defenses have been in the playoffs. You better believe it. Brady is just a different cat. He elevates his game in the big moments and accomplishes remarkable things. But seriously the Patriots had the ball with a chance to win TWICE in the final 2:21 of the game. They stopped him both times. Like I said, I don't care about yards. Tom Brady is going to put up gobs of yards on any team when he's playing from behind. That Patriots offense is just so well coaches they are going to get WRs, TEs, and RBs open in the passing game. Philly made impact plays on defense when it mattered most. That is what wins football games.

I think you are being unrealistic. The difference between an elite defense and an average defense is about 4-5 PPG. A team that gives up 17 PPG against an entire schedule of teams isn't going to hold a great offense like the Patriots to that same score. However, the difference comes with the ability to hold the opposing offense in check and give your team a chance to win. Again, while Philly gave up 33 points, Dom's defense would have been blown off the field. The Patriots were 5-10 on 3rd down and forced New England to go for it on 4th twice. Atlanta went 10-13 against us on 3rd down in the NFC Championship game last year. Again, it's not like it was a walk in the park for the Patriots like it was when the Falcons played against us. Dom Capers defense was literally blown off the field. I don't care about yards.

LMAO, I'm already seeing comments from Cowboys fans saying "if the Ertz play was a catch, then Dez caught it". xD Skip even tried to argue the same point (and failed, as usual).

Let's dissect this point by point, shall we?

Ertz took 4 steps with control of the ball (thereby clearly establishing himself as a runner) and crossed the plane before it came loose, Dez bobbled the ball and stumbled (meaning his "steps" were part of the act of falling) as he came down with it, and it popped out as soon as he hit the ground. He never even had it secured until he dove for the end zone, at which point, the ball hits the ground and pops out of his hands. 

By rule, the Zach Ertz play was a catch, Dez's wasn't. You can argue night and day about the absurdity of the rule, but it's the rule.

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

LMAO, I'm already seeing comments from Cowboys fans saying "if the Ertz play was a catch, then Dez caught it". xD Skip even tried to argue the same point (and failed, as usual).

Ertz took 4 steps with control of the ball (thereby clearly establishing himself as a runner) and crossed the plane before it came loose, Dez bobbled the ball and stumbled (meaning his "steps" were part of the act of falling) as he came down with it, and it popped out as soon as he hit the ground. He never even had it secured until he dove for the end zone, at which point, the ball hits the ground and pops out of his hands. 

By rule, the Zach Ertz play was a catch, Dez's wasn't. You can argue night and day about the absurdity of the rule, but it's the rule.

You are correct but you will never convince them.

Somebody post that video of Dez's catch.  Every picture makes it look like a catch, but I vividly recall that he was bobbling it in the middle of his "steps."

Just found it.  It's not as clear cut a drop as I remember it, although I think they changed the rule after this catch, right?

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

^ Cowboys defense wouldn't have stopped Rodgers anyway if they scored. Just saved everybody some time.:)

Yeah, Cowboys fans always seem to neglect the fact that there were 4 minutes and 42 seconds at the time of that Dez drop.  Cowboys were down by 5.  Best case scenario, they would have gone up by 3 points with 3 minutes left for Rodgers when Rodgers had a 125 rating game. 

After the Packers got the ball back, Rodgers completed a 26 yard pass to Adams on a third and three.  Then he completed a 12 yard pass to Cobb on 3rd and 11.  Cowboys couldn't stop Rodgers no matter what the scenario was that day. 

22 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, Cowboys fans always seem to neglect the fact that there were 4 minutes and 42 seconds at the time of that Dez drop.  Cowboys were down by 5.  Best case scenario, they would have gone up by 3 points with 3 minutes left for Rodgers when Rodgers had a 125 rating game. 

After the Packers got the ball back, Rodgers completed a 26 yard pass to Adams on a third and three.  Then he completed a 12 yard pass to Cobb on 3rd and 11.  Cowboys couldn't stop Rodgers no matter what the scenario was that day. 

Amen.

With that said, Jerry Rice still fumbled. :D

10 hours ago, Chinaski_86 said:

Didn't we also lose Cobb to an injury against Arizona? Our WRs were so banged up that I doubt we could have beaten the Panthers or the Broncos. 

Are you talking about the playoff game in AZ when AR threw those 2 long bombs at the end of the game?  If memory serves I think we were down to Abby and Janis at WR at that point.

5 hours ago, KManX89 said:

And even if they called it a catch Dallas probably doesn't win the game anyway.  Weren't there around 3/4 minutes left and we would have been down only by 1?   That would have given AR plenty of time to go down the field and score either a TD or FG.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:16 AM, ArthurPensky said:

^ Cowboys defense wouldn't have stopped Rodgers anyway if they scored. Just saved everybody some time.:)

Not to mention they wouldn't even be effing playing in this game if it wasn't for the refs. xD

Cowboys fans love to forget that one, too. 

Archived