Super Bowl Thread

Leader

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Where exactly does Philadelphia have the advantage over the Packers offensively?  I'll give you TE, but I'd take a healthy Packers OL and their WR over theirs.  I suppose you could take the RBs over them.

Huh? Better TEAM I said. Anyways, they use their RBs better than we do (25 snaps for Ajayi, 24 snaps for Clement/Blount last night), better TEs, and better overall OL. That's besides the point though, their depth is so much better than ours. They had major injuries all over the place and didn't skip a beat. We lost our QB and took the Browns to OT, quite clear they are a much better team than we are as it stands right now.

3 minutes ago, gopackgo27 said:

Huh? Better TEAM I said. Anyways, they use their RBs better than we do (25 snaps for Ajayi, 24 snaps for Clement/Blount last night), better TEs, and better overall OL. That's besides the point though, their depth is so much better than ours. They had major injuries all over the place and didn't skip a beat. We lost our QB and took the Browns to OT, quite clear they are a much better team than we are as it stands right now.

You're missing the obvious answer in their face.  They got great play out of their backup QB, Nick Foles.  We got mediocre play out of our backup QB, Brett Hundley.  You switch those two, and I guarantee you that the Eagles aren't winning the Super Bowl.

Not sure how I ended up here but that's a pretty good discussion above. Offensively speaking, yeah, the Packers might be more talented at a lot of positions. But I think the strength of the Eagles wasn't necessarily the top end talent. I mean Torrey Smith is starting for us.

If the Eagles are a "model" of anything, it's depth. Depth depth depth. People talk about Corey Clement but he would be our 4th RB if Darren Sproles got hurt. And Corey Clement can ball. It's not that Ajayi, Blount, or Clement are supremely talented individually. But you give Ajayi 9 carries in the Super Bowl and he's operating at 100% stamina on pretty much all of them. A lot of teams are top heavy. Their starters are amazing but the guys behind them are useless.

The Eagles had a TON of terrible injuries that really tested the depth. Jason Peters, Darren Sproles, Jordan Hicks, Carson Wentz... a team that loses so many good players should skip a beat. The Eagles didn't.

But really the debate is inherently flawed because I don't think it's the pieces or how the roster is built that put the Eagles on the path to the Super Bowl. It was all the intangible stuff. Amazing coaches that players in a position to succeed every week. Developing the depth so they were ready to perform when called upon.

Nick Foles looked horrible at the end of the regular season. Doug Pederson went back and looked at all of his film to see what made him successful in the past. He adjusted and Nick Foles looked like a god. That's coaching. That's not a measure of how good Nick Foles is. It's simply doing your homework and putting him in a position to succeed. Nick Foles didn't change. The plays did. This is an incredibly strong locker room and that can take you places too.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Where exactly does Philadelphia have the advantage over the Packers offensively?  I'll give you TE, but I'd take a healthy Packers OL and their WR over theirs.  I suppose you could take the RBs over them.

Peterson is a superior offensive mind to MM, and I mean "superior." Let's start there. Philly's offense isn't based on Rodgers scrambling for 5 seconds and waiting for DBs to get tired, then fitting a laser into a 6 inch window. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Peterson is a superior offensive mind to MM, and I mean "superior." Let's start there. Philly's offense isn't based on Rodgers scrambling for 5 seconds and waiting for DBs to get tired, then fitting a laser into a 6 inch window. 

That's why Eagles fans wanted him gone?  Okay...

8 minutes ago, Phire said:

Not sure how I ended up here but that's a pretty good discussion above. Offensively speaking, yeah, the Packers might be more talented at a lot of positions. But I think the strength of the Eagles wasn't necessarily the top end talent. I mean Torrey Smith is starting for us.

If the Eagles are a "model" of anything, it's depth. Depth depth depth. People talk about Corey Clement but he would be our 4th RB if Darren Sproles got hurt. And Corey Clement can ball. It's not that Ajayi, Blount, or Clement are supremely talented individually. But you give Ajayi 9 carries in the Super Bowl and he's operating at 100% stamina on pretty much all of them. A lot of teams are top heavy. Their starters are amazing but the guys behind them are useless.

The Eagles had a TON of terrible injuries that really tested the depth. Jason Peters, Darren Sproles, Jordan Hicks, Carson Wentz... a team that loses so many good players should skip a beat. The Eagles didn't.

But really the debate is inherently flawed because I don't think it's the pieces or how the roster is built that put the Eagles on the path to the Super Bowl. It was all the intangible stuff. Amazing coaches that players in a position to succeed every week. Developing the depth so they were ready to perform when called upon.

Nick Foles looked horrible at the end of the regular season. Doug Pederson went back and looked at all of his film to see what made him successful in the past. He adjusted and Nick Foles looked like a god. That's coaching. That's not a measure of how good Nick Foles is. It's simply doing your homework and putting him in a position to succeed. Nick Foles didn't change. The plays did. This is an incredibly strong locker room and that can take you places too.

Absolutely. Exactly why I said TEAM, not just the starters. I'd also argue that Pederson just coached those last 3 playoff games as well as any I've ever seen, he was fantastic. I live in Philly and spent last night on Broad street, this team had a special buzz around it the entire season, just seemed like a team destiny from the start. They were confident, unflappable, and their chemistry was off the charts. As disappointed as I was about GB's season, the Eagles were a fun group to follow. Congrats.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I absolutely wouldn't go that far yet, as great as Pederson was this past season at times. MM is going to redeem himself this year and show why he's still the HC of the Packers, don't let this past season fool you.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because look at what the Eagles just gave up at the deadline to land Ajayi.  They gave up a 2018 4th round pick in order to do so.  Based on what transpired, it's an easy win.  But what if they didn't win the Super Bowl, does that make it a great deal?  They just gave up a potential long-term asset for a temporary fix.  Hell, he was only a part-time back in Philadelphia.  You can't give up long-term assets for short-term fixes, and assume that's a sustainable model.  Too many teams have tried and failed.

Who cares about a single 4th round pick? We need to get over this TT-esque malarkey that draft picks are worth their weight in gold. Getting Ajayi, a need to fill a hole, for a 4th round pick for a team with SB aspirations was an easy call. 

6 minutes ago, gopackgo27 said:

I'd also argue that Pederson just coached those last 3 playoff games as well as any I've ever seen, he was fantastic. They were confident, unflappable, and their chemistry was off the charts.

Agreed. And the Eagles were really playing with house money all year long- even when Wentz wasn't injured. They weren't picked to do anything except show some improvement over the previous 7-9 season. They had no pressure on them in the playoffs - they were underdogs with a back-up QB. And Coach Pederson played the role of underdog to perfection. Congrats to all of them. And next year, when the pressure starts in July and doesn't let up - they'll have a different hill to climb:

Very limited cap space, traded-away draft picks and the immense pressure of being the lead dog with Super high expectations. 

But that's for next year. Right now, they are Kings of the World and they surely earned it.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

We're not punishing the.  You're trying to use an unsustainable model, and trying to paint it as the process to build a franchise.  Does anyone truly believe that Nick Foles is going to play at the same level as he did this postseason?  Let's give credit where credit is due, but don't overthink this.

I'd argue Philly's model has been just as successful as ours...1 SB win in the last 7 years. Difference....they've played 6 of those 7 years without a decent QB while we've had Aaron Rodgers. We need to get past this complacent attitude. The way we've been doing business the last 7 years is not working. We need to get more aggressive in talent acquisition and focus on winning now (next 2-3 years) versus what our salary cap is going to look like in 2035. 

17 minutes ago, gopackgo27 said:

I absolutely wouldn't go that far yet, as great as Pederson was this past season at times. MM is going to redeem himself this year and show why he's still the HC of the Packers, don't let this past season fool you.

I mean his offense has been the same for 20 years or however long he's been here. Remember, we've seen this offense struggle mightily even with Rodgers at QB. People on here have seen it happen, complain about it, but then forget about it once an off-season comes around. They did the same things for Capers for years, and I never understood it. The offense succeeds when Rodgers plays masterfully. When he doesn't, the offense more or less struggles. That's been the case for years. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

I mean his offense has been the same for 20 years or however long he's been here. Remember, we've seen this offense struggle mightily even with Rodgers at QB. People on here have seen it happen, complain about it, but then forget about it once an off-season comes around. They did the same things for Capers for years, and I never understood it. The offense succeeds when Rodgers plays masterfully. When he doesn't, the offense more or less struggles. That's been the case for years. 

Not that I disagree with your sentiment but it's far too early to call Pederson a superior offensive mind to MM.

Archived