Super Bowl Thread

Leader

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Cool article on how Pederson used BB's strength ( preparation) against him

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/06/doug-pederson-coach-year-super-bowl-52-bill-belichick?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

"So the fourth-and-1 conversion on the drive that gave Philadelphia its final lead was a tendency breaker two times over, with Pederson and Foles running counter to New England’s scouting on two occasions to make it happen.

“I think we’ve run that play with that personnel five times this year and every time it went to Trey,” Ertz says. “It's a great call against man coverage and that’s what the Patriots do on third and fourth down, and against that coverage, I’m ‘High Alert.’ Great Call by Doug in that situation to go for it and trusting us to get it done.”

We should have ran that play against Zona in 2015 after the hail mary. ?

Just now, packfanfb said:

We should have ran that play against Zona in 2015 after the hail mary. ?

That's the year that hurts more than 2014.  I feel like the Packers had that gritty "whatever it takes" mentality that could have won a Super Bowl that year. 

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That's the year that hurts more than 2014.  I feel like the Packers had that gritty "whatever it takes" mentality that could have won a Super Bowl that year. 

Nothing hurts more than 2014. Worst day in Packers history IMO. I think Carolina would have taken us in 2015 had we won and I think Denver would have thumped us like they did earlier in the year, but it would have been nice to find out.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Nothing hurts more than 2014. Worst day in Packers history IMO. I think Carolina would have taken us in 2015 had we won and I think Denver would have thumped us like they did earlier in the year, but it would have been nice to find out.

We almost came back against the Panthers that year in the regular season, and I think the fact that the Broncos were the first to expose our major issues that year would have been enough to get us past them.  2014 Packers wouldn't have beaten the Patriots I don't think. 

26 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We almost came back against the Panthers that year in the regular season, and I think the fact that the Broncos were the first to expose our major issues that year would have been enough to get us past them.  2014 Packers wouldn't have beaten the Patriots I don't think. 

2014 GB Packers beat the NE Patriots.  Whether they could have done it again is another matter.

Just now, squire12 said:

2014 GB Packers beat the NE Patriots.  Whether they could have done it again is another matter.

I know.  In Green Bay, and by 5 points.  If the Packers played the Patriots in the Super Bowl, Julius Peppers would have strip-sacked Brady with 57 seconds left and some running back would have picked it up and run for 47 yards to take it down to the 1 yard line while the Patriots were down by 5, and they would have scored with 37 seconds left and Rodgers would miss a chip, which would allow some second string safety to run in unblocked.  He'd grab Aaron's facemask and literally rip him to the ground by the facemask, but Rodgers would fumble, so they'd miraculously ignore the facemask. 

"The Patriots used two cornerbacks and three safeties for the majority of the game. Typical nickel defenses deploy three corners and two safeties. By swapping in a safety, the Patriots, in theory, had a better ability to defend the run when the Eagles had three receivers on the field.

And no team in the NFL ran the ball more effectively out of spread formations.

With three receivers or more on the field, the Eagles rushed 302 times for 1,628 yards, an average of 5.4 per attempt.

Entering Sunday, the Patriots allowed 5.5 yards per carry when the offense ran the ball with 3+ receivers in the game.

This was a distinct advantage for the Eagles. And Belichick chose to go big nickel to combat it."

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2018/02/new_england_patriots_defense_i.html

On 2/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, CWood21 said:

I'm making the argument that what they did wasn't that they somehow found a magical recipe to winning.  They're doing what every other 31 franchises do.  Fortunately for them, their FA acquisitions worked out, they had the ball bounce their way, and they got unsustainable success out of players who likely won't be able to repeat that.  I mean, the Aaron Rodgers' fumble several years ago against Arizona is a PRIME example of this.  The Eagles didn't do anything different, they just had luck on their side.

Well it seems luck just seems to bypass the Packers every year and land on other teams.

Or maybe the Packers haven't done enough to be in a position to use luck to their advantage. Hence the FO changes. 

14 hours ago, Chinaski_86 said:

Yet the Packers have scored 38, 34 and 35 points in three of their last four playoff games. 

You want to give the Eagles D credit for forcing a couple of FGs? They didn't force one single punt. Not one. They made one good play all game long which was the strip sack. Their only sack of the game which is still bad for such a great DL. The Eagles played a horrible game on defense. They had nothing to do with the Patriots missing a PAT and a chip shot FG. They had nothing to do with Brady dropping an easy catch. They had nothing to do with BB deciding to go for it on 4th and 5 but not going for it on 4th and 1. The Pats failed to score even more points because of their own mistakes, not great defensive plays by the Eagles. 

Brady threw for 505 yards with Amendola and Hogan as his top two WRs for 3(!) quarters of the game. The RBs only caught 3 balls so they weren't dinking and dunking their way into Eagles territory. The Eagles secondary got absolutely abused by Amendola/Hogan/Gronk. You score 41 points and still need to sweat it out to win the game? Come on.

Both defenses were playing like Dom Capers was the DC.

I don't care about yards. Tom Brady might have put up 50 points on Dom Capers defense the way he was playing Sunday Night. Seriously. Holding teams to FGs matters. Especially good offenses. The last two years were a disaster for our defense where our red zone defense was atrocious. Who cares about yards dude. That' what Tom Brady does though. WRs don't really seem to matter in the Patriots system.

8 minutes ago, th87 said:

Well it seems luck just seems to bypass the Packers every year and land on other teams.

Or maybe the Packers haven't done enough to be in a position to use luck to their advantage. Hence the FO changes. 

They did win the Super Bowl in 2010 with 59 guys on IR.

1 minute ago, strat1080 said:

I don't care about yards. Tom Brady might have put up 50 points on Dom Capers defense the way he was playing Sunday Night. Seriously. Holding teams to FGs matters. Especially good offenses. The last two years were a disaster for our defense where our red zone defense was atrocious. Who cares about yards dude. That' what Tom Brady does though. WRs don't really seem to matter in the Patriots system.

They were pretty bad about giving up yards too.

3 hours ago, strat1080 said:

You make it seem that all the Eagles defense did was give up yards. They also gave up points. Lots of them. 33 points despite missing a PAT and an easy FG. 

Both teams would have destroyed Dom's defense. I'm the last person to defend him but stop acting like the Eagles defense did well on Sunday. They got completely abused by Brady. One strip sack doesn't change that. That's like saying Blake Bortles played well against Buffalo because he threw the game winning TD. 

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Didn't we also lose Cobb to an injury against Arizona? Our WRs were so banged up that I doubt we could have beaten the Panthers or the Broncos. 

See 2011. Yards, points, time of possession, rushing, passing, it doesn't matter. Bad defense is bad defense and sooner or later it's gonna bite you in the nuts no matter how you want to spin it. Fans made up excuses for that defense all season long. For the love of God Packer fans should know this better than anyone by now

5 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

They did win the Super Bowl in 2010 with 59 guys on IR.

Adults today were in elementary school when that happened. 

This attribution of our lack of championships solely to bad luck doesn't fly. It's why Capers and TT were finally removed from their positions. MM will be next if he doesn't deliver one soon. 

Archived