Rich7sena's Official Mock Offseason *FINAL DRAFT* - 3/11/18

Rich7sena

5 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

wanting to spend a top 10 pick on a back while admitting you want him to be a two-down back? ugh no thanks. roquan smith would be an every down player from day one and would be an instant upgrade to Cory James or eventual Bowman replacement. in the meantime, marshawn can handle 2-down duties about as well as guice would

I have Guice being picked at 21 after a trade back. He'd split time with Lycnh his first year before taking over after Lynch's contract expires next year. I believe even in a part time role, a dynamic back like Guice or Michel would add more wins than Roquan Smith.

On 2/21/2018 at 5:42 PM, Rich7sena said:

I have Guice being picked at 21 after a trade back. He'd split time with Lycnh his first year before taking over after Lynch's contract expires next year. I believe even in a part time role, a dynamic back like Guice or Michel would add more wins than Roquan Smith.

even worse. you want to spend a first round pick on a guy to be a two-down back splitting carries with another 2-down back. drafting guice, a guy you project as a 2-down back, only makes sense if we're showing Lynch the door. thats too many resources for two down backs.

would much rather take a guy who can be an instant starter at a position that has struggled for years

5 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

even worse. you want to spend a first round pick on a guy to be a two-down back splitting carries with another 2-down back. drafting guice, a guy you project as a 2-down back, only makes sense if we're showing Lynch the door. thats too many resources for two down backs.

would much rather take a guy who can be an instant starter at a position that has struggled for years

I don't project Guice as a 2 down back for the duration of his career. He can catch passes, but he's not the ideal guy you want in there in a 2-minute situation or on 3rd and long. I envision a 50/50 split to start with Richard handling obvious passing downs.

The main reason I'd want Lynch to stick around for one more season is what he offers as a pass blocker and a possible mentor for Guice. I also wouldn't mind cutting Lynch and adding a veteran like Ivory or Crowell for assurance.

i just that that's lousy value to get out of a first round pick... particularly at running back. if you take a RB in the first round, he should be your clear #1 back right away (or be heavily featured otherwise like mccaffrey, reggie bush)

whether it be roquan, or edmunds, payne, vea, or even denzel ward (or if fitzpatrick falls)... our early picks should be going to guys that are going to make us significantly better right away. i dont see guice being that if he's going to be sharing early down work and not being a significant factor on passing downs. i mean yeah if barkley falls, you don't hesitate. but guice isn't in the same stratosphere 

mckenzie has been burned time and time again spending early down picks on guys who are questionable to produce right away.

19 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

i just that that's lousy value to get out of a first round pick... particularly at running back. if you take a RB in the first round, he should be your clear #1 back right away (or be heavily featured otherwise like mccaffrey, reggie bush)

whether it be roquan, or edmunds, payne, vea, or even denzel ward (or if fitzpatrick falls)... our early picks should be going to guys that are going to make us significantly better right away. i dont see guice being that if he's going to be sharing early down work and not being a significant factor on passing downs. i mean yeah if barkley falls, you don't hesitate. but guice isn't in the same stratosphere 

mckenzie has been burned time and time again spending early down picks on guys who are questionable to produce right away.

I believe one of the biggest deficiencies on offense last season was an explosive element from the backfield. I legitimately believe a guy like Guice would of added 1-2 wins last season.

Plus, runningback can make a big impact without being the clear cut guy right away. Think about all the great runningbacks who weren’t clear number ones out of training camp, weren’t huge contributors in their first seasons, or were drafted into a committee: Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, David Johnson, etc. Considering hindsight, I believe all these players would have gone in yhe first round even if they didn’t fullow blossom in year two. I’d be willing to spend a first rounder to gaurantee I get one of my top difference making backs.

Also, why would Guice be questionable to produce right away?

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I believe one of the biggest deficiencies on offense last season was an explosive element from the backfield. I legitimately believe a guy like Guice would of added 1-2 wins last season.

Plus, runningback can make a big impact without being the clear cut guy right away. Think about all the great runningbacks who weren’t clear number ones out of training camp, weren’t huge contributors in their first seasons, or were drafted into a committee: Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, David Johnson, etc. Considering hindsight, I believe all these players would have gone in yhe first round even if they didn’t fullow blossom in year two. I’d be willing to spend a first rounder to gaurantee I get one of my top difference making backs.

because you have him pegged as a 10 touch per game guy, basically. splitting work on early downs

I was listening to a podcast with Evan Silva yesterday. He basically said guice will be a big time chain mover that will break a big one occasionally whereas Barkley will break the big one a lot. He also said that Guice could probably develop into a better receiving back than ppl credit him for but it depends on coaching. He brought up a good point that 18 catches ina single season for an LSU back is actually a lot.

He does not seem to be a big fan of Ron Jones. Said the Jamaal Charles comps are based mostly on size, number, and hair style. Stated that he does not have Charles’ lateral agility and basically just takes what is blocked but creates little on his own. Said his explosiveness could make him a good back but anything higher than 2nd to 3rd round would be too high. He did say that he could thrive in the right system.

19 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

because you have him pegged as a 10 touch per game guy, basically. splitting work on early downs

His carries will be variable in his rookie year. I can envision him getting anywhere from 10-20 touches in a single game his rookie year.

3 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

I was listening to a podcast with Evan Silva yesterday. He basically said guice will be a big time chain mover that will break a big one occasionally whereas Barkley will break the big one a lot. He also said that Guice could probably develop into a better receiving back than ppl credit him for but it depends on coaching. He brought up a good point that 18 catches ina single season for an LSU back is actually a lot.

He does not seem to be a big fan of Ron Jones. Said the Jamaal Charles comps are based mostly on size, number, and hair style. Stated that he does not have Charles’ lateral agility and basically just takes what is blocked but creates little on his own. Said his explosiveness could make him a good back but anything higher than 2nd to 3rd round would be too high. He did say that he could thrive in the right system.

Silva’s impressions are pretty close to mine based on what you posted. I’d add the Barkley is already a ready-made elite receiver out lf the backfield.

Guice will never be the caliber receiver Barkley is, but he cerainly can be servicable. Skills-wise, he reminds me of Melvin Gordon but stylistically he reminds me of Jay Ajayi.

I’ve been lower on RoJo since the beginning. He’s getting top 20 overall player love by legit draft analysts. To me, he’s not a better propect than Marlon Mack last year — who I would of taken as early as round two. I view them similarly.

I have my likes and dislikes but not bad at all.Not sure I will just cut Irvin I'm kinda up in the air about it but i will definitely asking him to take a pay cut.I believe we need a young stud in the backfield I just don't think we have to get one in the first round.I get the Paul Richardson signing but I'm just not a fan just don't see him becoming much but I could be wrong 

On 2/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, Rich7sena said:

I agree with this. Part of why I want to see Lynch gone. He's not explosive out of the backfield. He take a ton of contact and breaks tackles, but the Raiders lacked that guy who can be a true threat when he touches the ball.

Anyone saying Guice won't produce right away is watching his 2017 season. Excellent power, speed, vision and balance. 

In an offense like Gruden's he could contend for ROTY. He's going to be a dual threat guy who is a threat every touch he gets.

Updated mock is up.

OAKLAND RAIDERS

FREE AGENCY

DRAFT

Beginning cap - $19,951,213 (OTC.com):

• Sean Smith - $8,500,000 savings

• Bruce Irvin - $8,250,000 savings

• Michael Crabtree - $7,687,500 savings

• Marshall Newhouse - $1,750,000 savings

Post-cuts cap - $46,138,713:

• T.J. Carrie - 4 years, $26,000,000

• Khalil Mack (extension) - 6 years, $120,000,000 ($6,000,000 signing bonus in 2018)

• NaVorro Bowman - 3 years, $10,500,000

TRADES:

• 1.9 and 6.189 traded to Buffalo for 1.21, 2.53, 2.56, and 4.117

Post Re-sign cap - $30,138,713:

• Dontari Poe - 4 years, $40,000,000

• Paul Richardson - 4 years, $28,000,000

ENDING CAP - $13,138,713:

1.21 - Orlando Brown Jr., OT, Oklahoma

2.42 - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

2.53 - Anthony Averett, DB, Alabama

2.56 - Kemoko Turay, Edge, Rutgers

3.73 - Andrew Brown, DL, Virginia

4.112 - Kevin Toliver, DB, LSU

4.117 - J’Mon Moore, WR, Missouri

6.197 - Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt

6.210 - Brandon Facyson, DB, Virginia Tech

6.212 - Brett Toth, OT, Army

6.216 - Dimitri Flowers, FB/TE, Oklahoma

6.217 - Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee State

6.230 - Trevon Young, Louisville

7.230 - Foona Ford, DL, Texas

DEPTH CHART

Offense

QB: Derek Carr, Connor Cook

RB: Marshawn Lynch, Sony Michel (R2), DeAndre Washington, Jalen Richard

RB(3rd Down): Sony Michel (R1), Jalen Richard, Marshawn Lynch, DeAndre Washington

FB: Jamize Olawale, Dimitri Flowers (R6)

WR(X): Paul Richardson, J’Mon Moore (R4), Cordarrelle Patterson, Johnny Holton

WR(Z): Amari Cooper, J’Mon Moore (R4), Cordarrelle Patterson, Johnny Holton

WR(Slot): Seth Roberts, Cordarrelle Patterson, Amari Cooper, Richie James (R6)

TE: Jared Cook, Clive Walford, Pharaoh Brown

LT: Donald Penn, Orlando Brown (R1), Jylan Ware, Brett Toth (R6)

LG: Kelechi Osemele, Vadal Alexander

C: Rodney Hudson, Jon Feliciano

RG: Gabe Jackson, Jon Feliciano

RT: Orlando Brown (R1), David Sharpe, Jylan Ware, Brett Toth (R6)

Defense

(Base 4-3/4-2-5)

RDE: Mario Edwards Jr., Jihad Ward, Kemoko Turay (R2), Trevon Young (R2)

DRT: Andrew Brown (R2), Eddie Vanderdoes, Treyvon Hester, Poona Ford (R7)

DLT: Dontari Poe, Darius Latham, Eddie Vanderdoes, Poona Ford (R7)

LDE: Khalil Mack, Jihad Ward, Kemoko Turay (R2), Trevon Young (R2)

SAM: Corey James, Marquel Lee, Oren Burks (R6

MIKE: NaVorro Bowman, Marquel Lee, Oren Burks (R6)

WILL: Nicholas Morrow, Oren Burks (R6)

RCB: Gareon Conley, Anthony Averett (R3), Kevin Toliver (R4), Dexter McDonald

LCB: T.J. Carrie, Anthony Averett (R3), Kevin Toliver (R4), Dexter McDonald

NB: Anthony Averett (R3), Kevin Toliver (R4), Dexter McDonald

SS: Obi Melifonwu, Shalom Luani, Brandon Facyson (R6)

FS: Karl Joseph, Shalom Luani, Brandon Facyson (R6)

(Rush Nickel 4-2-5)

RDE: Kemoko Turay (R2)

DT: Mario Edwards Jr.

DT: Andrew Brown (R2)

LDE: Khalil Mack

SAM: Corey James

WILL: Nicholas Morrow

• 2 weeks later...

Final draft of my mock offseason series posted in the OP. Some highlights:

Trading back with Dallas in round 1: I believe the trade is both realistic and prudent. In this scenario, I envision 4 quarterbacks going in the top 10 and a top non-QB prospect falling to #10 overall. I could see the Cowboys targeting a player like Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick with Byron Jones reportedly moving back to corner.

Cameron Fleming: In every mock I've done so far, I've had the Raiders using their first 2nd rounder on a tackle. Signing Fleming to a Mike Remmers-like deal solidifies the right tackle spot for the foreseeable future. While I don't believe Fleming has any future on the left side, Penn's contract does allow left tackle to be eschewed for the next two seasons. Next season, the team can evaluate the developmental left tackle prospects on the roster and take a look at a potentially left tackle rich free agency class.

Isaac Yiadom: I've been conducting the Isaac Yiadom hype train hard this draft season, and I've only become more excited about his prospectus the more I watch. The Boston College product is a prototypically sized corner with great technique. I believe he will thrive in a scheme which challenges him to take receivers on in man coverage. He's still roundly considered an end of round 2 or round 3 player by most draftniks, but I believe in him enough to take him at the top of the 2nd. My comp for him is A.J. Bouye.

5th and 6th round linebackers AGAIN!: Yes, but I believe in this staff's ability to draft and develop more effectively than the last. I somewhat believe in Corey James' ability to become a reliable starter on the strong side and Morrow showed some promise as a run and chase weakside backer toward the end of 2017. Christian Sam has the instincts and size necessary to challenge James on the strong side and spell Bowman as a middle backer. Oren Burks validated the athleticism he showed at the Senior Bowl with his testing at the combine.

Ultimately, until the middle of the defensive line gets sorted out, it won't matter who gets put into the second level. I'm banking on the promise of a player like Andrew Brown and the emergence of one or two of the rest of the pack to make the interior unit competent on a down to down basis.

Archived