Rich7sena's Official Mock Offseason *FINAL DRAFT* - 3/11/18

Rich7sena

I don't think Lee will develop into a star linebacker but I think he at least has competent starter in his DNA. Besides, the point of re-signing Bowman is not having to take a starting middle linebacker early (or at all) in the draft. Lee is fine as a depth player.

Besides, linebacker is not the main position holding this defense back from being good.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2 is up. Take a look:

On 1/26/2018 at 12:01 PM, Rich7sena said:

CUTS:

• Sean Smith - $8,500,000 savings
    • Smith isn't nearly worth the nearly $9 million he's owed in 2018.
  • Bruce Irvin - $8,250,000 savings
    • Irvin doesn't have a home in Guenther's defense.
  • Michael Crabtree - 7,687,500 savings
    • His redzone and big play production will be missed, but I'd rather use his money on someone younger.
  • David Amerson - $6,000,000 savings
    • Already released.
  • Marshawn Lynch - $5,953,125 savings
    • He's still is a capable runner and among the league's best pass blockers from he backfield, but he may not mesh with the incoming culture.
  • Marshall Newhouse - $1,750,000 savings
    • Time to take the training wheels off Sharpe and Kirkland and see what they're made of.

RE-SIGN:

• NaVorro Bowman - 3 years, $10,500,000
    • I think it's time the Raiders bite the bullet and stick with one guy in the middle for a few seasons while young players develop behind him.
  • Khalil Mack (extension) - 6 years, $120,000,000 ($6,000,000 signing bonus in 2018)
    • Ideally a deal gets done before training camp.

UFA SIGN:

• Bashaud Breeland - 4 years, $28,000,000
    • Quality starting corner who won't break the bank.
  • Paul Richardson - 4 years, $28,000,000
    • His ability to adjust his body at catch point and stretch the field serve both Carr's preference as a passer, and Gruden's preference as a play-caller. 
  • Anthony Hitchens - 4 years, $24,000,000
    • He's a perfect fit for the SLB role in Guenther's defense and of all the players signed in this class, he's the one I'd want and like the most.
  • Star Lotulelei - 3 years, $18,000,000
    • Although he never quite met the promise of his stellar rookie year, Lotulelei provides a tried and true veteran presence for a defensive front lacking both talent and experience.
  • Michael Bennett - 2 years, $12,000,000
    • Signing a player who's still under contract adds speculation to an already highly speculative exercise, I expect a purge of the Legion of Boom from Seattle.
  • Deshawn Shead - 2 years, $3,000,000
    • Shead is a do-it-all who lost his 2017 season to an ACL injury. In 2016, he took the place of an injured Earl Thomas and the defense barely skipped a beat. He can play both corner and safety.

DRAFT:

• 1.10 - Derris Guice, RB, LSU
    • When healthy, I'd argue Guice is every bit the runner Barkley is without the versatility. He'll have to be a quick learner pass blocking, but he should be an easy 2-down banger during his first season.
  • 2.41 - Jamarco Jones, OL, Oregon
    • I previously had Tyrell Crosby here, but I'm beginning to think he goes closer to the end of the first round. Jones is a polished tackle prospect who may never be elite, but he'll stick around the league for years and hopefully on the Raiders.
  • 3.75 - Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College
    • Okay, so this may be a new name for some of you but he shouldn't be. Yiadom was one of the stars of Senior Bowl practices and his combination of length and speed are rarities even in the first round.
  • 4.106 - Chad Thomas, DL, Miami
    • *Few athletes are better built to play 4-3 defensive end than Chad Thomas. He was a big part of Miami's TFL machine in 2017 and can bring his prowess to Oakland, contributing both on the inside and outside.
  • 6.171 - Travin Howard, S/LB, TCU
    • Howard is the very definition of a tweener, but he's a tweeter with tremendous instinct. On the Raiders, I project him as a developmental fit at WLB.
  • 6.178 (from Seattle) - Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee
    • Based on highlights alone, James would easily go in the before the end of the second day. His diminutive size (5'9", 176 lbs.) will have him pegged as a potentially dynamic returner with upside as a 4th receiver in the NFL.
  • 7.202 - Dimitri Flowers, FB/TE, Oklahoma
    • *While Jamize Olawale should see some much needed touches in 2018, he'll be a non-priority free agent after the 2018 season. Flowers has unique skills the Raiders have coveted since Tyrone Wheatley.

*No change

DEPTH CHART:

Offense

QB: Derek Carr, Connor Cook

RB: Derrius Guice (R1), DeAndre Washington, Jalen Richard

RB(Passing): Jalen Richard, DeAndre Washington, Jamize Olawale, Dimitri Flowers (R6)

FB: Jamize Olawale, Dimitri Flowers (R6)

WR(X): Paul Richardson, Seth Roberts, Cordarrelle Patterson, Johnny Holton

WR(Z): Amari Cooper, Seth Roberts, Cordarrelle Patterson, Johnny Holton

WR(Slot): Seth Roberts, Cordarrelle Patterson, Richie James (R7), Johnny Holton

TE: Jared Cook, Clive Walford, Pharaoh Brown

LT: Donald Penn, Jamarco Jones (R2), Jylan Ware

LG: Kelechi Osemele, Vadal Alexander

C: Rodney Hudson, Jon Feliciano

RG: Gabe Jackson, Jon Feliciano

RT: Jamarco Jones (R2), David Sharpe, Jylan Ware

Defense

(Base 4-3/4-2-5)

RDE: Michael Bennett, Chad Thomas (R4), Jihad Ward

DRT: Mario Edwards Jr., Eddie Vanderdoes, Treyvon Hester, Jihad Ward

DLT: Star Lotulelei, Darius Latham, Eddie Vanderdoes

LDE: Khalil Mack, Chad Thomas (R4), Jihad Ward

SAM: Anthony Hitchens, Corey James, Marquel Lee

MIKE: NaVorro Bowman, Corey James, Marquel Lee

WILL: Nicholas Morrow, Corey James, Travin Howard (R6)

RCB: Gareon Conley, Isaac Yiadom (R3), Deshawn Shead, Dexter McDonald

LCB: Bashaud Breeland, Isaac Yiadom (R3), Deshawn Shead, Dexter McDonald

NB: Isaac Yiadom (R3), Deshawn Shead, Dexter McDonald

SS: Obi Melifonwu, Shalom Luani, Deshawn Shead

FS: Karl Joseph, Shalom Luani, Deshawn Shead

(Rush Nickel 4-2-5)

RDE: Chad Thomas (R4), Jihad Ward, Treyvon Hester

DRT: Michael Bennett, Eddie Vanderdoes, Treyvon Hester, Jihad Ward

DLT: Mario Edwards Jr., Eddie Vanderdoes, Treyvon Hester, Jihad Ward

LDE: Khalil Mack, Jihad Ward, Treyvon Hester

SAM: Anthony Hitchens

WILL: Nicholas Morrow

Guice is actually a decent receiver out of the backfield. Not on Bell or David Johnson’s level, but decent. Don’t see him as just a two down guy. LSU just doesn’t throw to their backs much. If we don’t draft guice in the first, gotta go rb second or third round. I’m warming up to Ronald Jones as well.

I go back and forth on how I would like us to attack the draft. While I don’t see all of these free agent moves happening, I could see Gruden and Reggie looking for dependable young defensive help in free agency. Part of why our defense has been so bad is that other than Mack it is full of rookies and band aids every year.  I think we will see a lot of roster moves on both sides of the ball. Can’t wait to get through February.

34 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

Guice is actually a decent receiver out of the backfield. Not on Bell or David Johnson’s level, but decent. Don’t see him as just a two down guy. LSU just doesn’t throw to their backs much. If we don’t draft guice in the first, gotta go rb second or third round. I’m warming up to Ronald Jones as well.

I go back and forth on how I would like us to attack the draft. While I don’t see all of these free agent moves happening, I could see Gruden and Reggie looking for dependable young defensive help in free agency. Part of why our defense has been so bad is that other than Mack it is full of rookies and band aids every year.  I think we will see a lot of roster moves on both sides of the ball. Can’t wait to get through February.

I'd want Guice to primarily be a 2-down guy to start his career for a few reasons: He's only really good for dump offs and screens and doesn't have great hands or downfield route running; I'd want to preserve his body as much as possible considering his hyper-aggressive running style; and he isn't there yet as a pass blocker.

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Pay him a 2.4 million salary. Or cut him and pay him 2 in dead money. Might as well see if the new staff can further develop him and cut him with no dead money next offseason. 

2 mill dead money .. thanks. tired of seeing him.

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I get it, that's the emotional position of fans. Logic says otherwise however.

I get the no dead money next year. makes sense and i agree with it. but 400k and roster spot! haha

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 12:01 PM, Rich7sena said:

OAKLAND RAIDERS

FREE AGENCY

DRAFT

CUTS ($25,535,190):

• Sean Smith - $8,500,000 savings

• Bruce Irvin - $8,250,000 savings

• Michael Crabtree - 7,687,500 savings

• Marshall Newhouse - $1,750,000 savings

RE-SIGN ($51,722,690):

• NaVorro Bowman - 3 years, $10,500,000

• Khalil Mack (extension) - 6 years, $120,000,000 ($6,000,000 signing bonus in 2018)

TRADE ($42,222,690):

• 1.10 traded to Buffalo for 1.21, 2.53, and 2.56

SIGN (42,222,690):

• Paul Richardson - 4 years, $28,000,000

• Bashaud Breeland - 4 years, $26,000,000

• Star Lotulelei - 3 years, $18,000,000

• *Mike Mitchell - 2 years, $8,000,000

• Justin Bethel - 2 years, $5,000,000

ENDING CAP ($16,222,690):

1.21 - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

2.41 - Tyrell Crosby, OL, Oregon

2.53 - Sam Hubbard, Edge, Ohio State

2.56 - Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama

3.75 - Andrew Brown, DL, Virginia

4.106 - J’Mon Moore, WR, Missouri

6.171 - Brandon Facyson, DB, Virginia Tech

6.178 (from Seattle) - Travin Howard, LB/S, TCU

7.202 - Dimitri Flowers, FB/TE, Oklahoma

DEPTH CHART

Offense

QB: Derek Carr, Connor Cook

RB: Marshawn Lynch, Derrius Guice (R1), DeAndre Washington, Jalen Richard

RB(3rd Down): Jalen Richard, Derrius Guice (R1), Marshawn Lynch, DeAndre Washington

FB: Jamize Olawale, Dimitri Flowers (R7)

WR(X): Paul Richardson, J’Mon Moore (R4), Cordarrelle Patterson, Johnny Holton

WR(Z): Amari Cooper, J’Mon Moore (R4), Cordarrelle Patterson, Johnny Holton

WR(Slot): Seth Roberts, Cordarrelle Patterson, Amari Cooper

TE: Jared Cook, Clive Walford, Pharaoh Brown

LT: Donald Penn, Tyrell Crosby (R2), Jylan Ware

LG: Kelechi Osemele, Vadal Alexander

C: Rodney Hudson, Jon Feliciano

RG: Gabe Jackson, Jon Feliciano

RT: Tyrell Crosby (R2), David Sharpe, Jylan Ware

Defense

(Base 4-3/4-2-5)

RDE: Mario Edwards Jr., Sam Hubbard (R2), Jihad Ward

DRT: Andrew Brown (R2), Eddie Vanderdoes, Treyvon Hester

DLT: Star Lotulelei, Darius Latham, Eddie Vanderdoes

LDE: Khalil Mack, Sam Hubbard (R2), Jihad Ward

SAM: Corey James, Marquel Lee

MIKE: NaVorro Bowman, Marquel Lee

WILL: Obi Melifonwu, Nicholas Morrow, Travin Howard (R6)

RCB: Gareon Conley, Anthony Averett (R3), Justin Bethel, Dexter McDonald

LCB: Bashaud Breeland, Anthony Averett (R3), Justin Bethel, Dexter McDonald

NB: Anthony Averett (R3), Justin Bethel, Dexter McDonald

SS: Karl Joseph, Shalom Luani, Brandon Facyson (R6)

FS: Mike Mitchell, Shalom Luani, Brandon Facyson (R6)

(Rush Nickel 4-2-5)

RDE: Sam Hubbard (R2)

DT: Mario Edwards Jr.

DT: Andrew Brown (R2)

LDE: Khalil Mack

SAM: Corey James

WILL: Obi Melifonwu

A bit different than what I've been doing.

13 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

A bit different than what I've been doing.

D

Getting rid of Crabtree for Paul Richardson is a downgrade

Crosby would be nice in the second

Guice- I honestly don't know what people see in him

Andrew Brown- is meh

Hubbard- would be buried on the bench

Those LBs are so iffy..... Sam Corey James- he is undersized as a Will... Obi as a LB?

Isn't Mike Mitchell a SS? 

Breeland would be a good pickup

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

D

Getting rid of Crabtree for Paul Richardson is a downgrade

Richardson is 5 years younger than Crabtree and outproduced him in yards a season ago. For virtually the same price on a per year basis as Crabtree would get paid in 2018, I'd gladly take a younger receiver with his best years ahead of him.

Crosby would be nice in the second

You have to watch him in both 2016 and 2017 to get a complete picture on him -- or just watch him against Notre Dame. When healthy, he's a rare speed/power guy with a penchant for uphill, nonsense running. He has Ezekiel Elliot upside.

Andrew Brown- is meh

The book on him is he was misused as a two-gap player at Virginia. He ravaged offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl (practices and game) and I actually really like his cut-ups.

Hubbard- would be buried on the bench

Even if you for whatever reason don't like Hubbard as a prospect, who exactly would he get buried behind? It's not like the Raiders are bursting at the seams at edge rusher. 

Those LBs are so iffy..... Sam Corey James- he is undersized as a Will... Obi as a LB?

Corey James is not undersized. His latest listed weight is 245 lbs. Plus, he played off the edge in college.

Isn't Mike Mitchell a SS? 

Sean Davis is the SS in Pittsburgh

Breeland would be a good pickup

19 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Care to elaborate? 

He is a violent runner with great balance. His vision is excellent. His burst (possibly due to injury) was a little off from 2016, but still explosive as a runner. When healthy, he's 1b to Barkely's 1a. He's a special every down back.

wanting to spend a top 10 pick on a back while admitting you want him to be a two-down back? ugh no thanks. roquan smith would be an every down player from day one and would be an instant upgrade to Cory James or eventual Bowman replacement. in the meantime, marshawn can handle 2-down duties about as well as guice would

Archived