Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

i don't understand the attraction to bringing Lance to the Vikings. why do it? he's a third string guy in a qb friendly system.

Because he has enormous potential. His live game rep count is so low dating back even to high school. The tools are clearly there, he's just had bad injury luck on a team that can't wait for him to figure it out because they are ready to win now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

i don't understand the attraction to bringing Lance to the Vikings. why do it? he's a third string guy in a qb friendly system.

Because he's 23 yrs old with physical talent and would also be coming to a franchise with a HC that used to be a QB, so he knows what it's like. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

He cant even make it with Shanny why would he elsewhere? Whether people like it or not it most definitely means something when they would like to cut bait.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The same reason they drafted Hall. Potential, upside, and youth. 

Lance has unbelievably more potential than Hall, and he’s 2 years younger. 

If the price is acceptable, it makes more sense to stash Lance as QB3, than to keep Hall. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sad People said:

He cant even make it with Shanny why would he elsewhere? Whether people like it or not it most definitely means something when they would like to cut bait.

Oh, I agree.  But, to me, it's worth a shot.  Just as Josh Freeman was worth a shot...although I think this regime would certainly handle it significantly different than the previous one did with Freeman.

We also have to look at our situation, there is no long-term plan at QB right now...so, every opportunity to get a high potential QB for little cost should be an opportunity worth taking.  If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but they wouldn't be on the hook for him for very long either. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sad People said:

It’s not about making it in Shanahan’s offense. It’s about the logistics of having two young QBs. 

As soon as the 49ers made their decision to go with Purdy, Lance’s time in SF was over regardless of how he played this offseason/preseason. The 49ers were simply trying to get a decent trade offer to recoup some of their losses. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not about making it in Shanahan’s offense. It’s about the logistics of having two young QBs. 

As soon as the 49ers made their decision to go with Purdy, Lance’s time in SF was over regardless of how he played this offseason/preseason. The 49ers were simply trying to get a decent trade offer to recoup some of their losses. 

He got beat out by a 7th round rookie QB and another JAG at QB in Sam Darnold. If they believed in his ability to play QB at a higher level than either of those guys theyd keep him.

Im fine with bringing him in but not at the price of a defensive player JAG or not and a pick swap. 6th or 7th round pick straight up for Lance? Sure.

Edited by Sad People
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sad People said:

He got beat out by a 7th round rookie QB and another JAG at QB in Sam Darnold. If they believed in his ability to play QB at a higher level than either of those guys theyd keep him.

Im fine with bringing him in but not at the price of a defensive player JAG or not and a pick swap. 6th or 7th round pick straight up for Lance? Sure.

What are you accomplishing by just keeping said JAG because you think it's too expensive to throw him in?

Just now, swede700 said:

What are you accomplishing by just keeping said JAG because you think it's too expensive to throw him in?

Depth at a weaker position on the team? What are we accomplishing by adding him to the trade over than it being an overpayment? Another JAG at QB?

5 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Depth at a weaker position on the team? What are we accomplishing by adding him to the trade over than it being an overpayment? Another JAG at QB?

I think the depth at Edge is a lot greater than you think (even though it's not top-echelon).  I don't think there's a significant difference between Wonnum and guys like Carter and Vilain.  Losing Wonnum wouldn't be a great hit to depth.  In fact, I'm not sure we'd notice it just as we didn't notice the loss of Gerald Hodges when he was traded to the 49ers. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think the depth at Edge is a lot greater than you think (even though it's not top-echelon).  I don't think there's a significant difference between Wonnum and guys like Carter and Vilain.  Losing Wonnum wouldn't be a great hit to depth.  In fact, I'm not sure we'd notice it just as we didn't notice the loss of Gerald Hodges when he was traded to the 49ers. 

I wouldnt agree with the bolded parts but time will tell.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Gerald Hodges was objectively a much worse player than Wonnum. not even worth the comparison, really.

Maybe so, but he was also the projected starter at the time, which tells you all you need to know about depth.  That situation, at the time, was far more tenuous than this one is when it comes to depth.  

Edited by swede700