Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings have a loaded safety room, but the sixth guy is making a real case to make the roster. Theo Jackson has been everywhere both on defense and on special teams, making the future decision that much more difficult. Should the Vikings go bold and keep six safeties, they could ask Jay Ward to play cornerback, as he did frequently as LSU. This is something to keep your eye on just in case.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-tennessee-titans-10-player-need-great-performance/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR300xkvoMNNo03f6FkkPh9TjQUojWz-J2UOogAI0R7csNhNhNDok0QBfgc

Keep your best players. I’d rather leave a CB off the roster if he’s just a fringe guy who would get burnt if pressed into action. 

The XFL’s offensive player of the year is joining forces with the NFL’s offensive player of the year. Sort of.

The XFL has announced that Washington Defenders quarterback Jordan Ta’amu has signed with the Vikings. Via Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com, the Vikings have not yet confirmed the move.

For Ta’amu, it will be his eighth NFL stint since 2019. From the Texans to the Chiefs to the Lions to the Chiefs to the Lions to the Commanders to the Panthers, Ta’amu has spent time with teams in 2019, 2020, and 2021. He has never made it onto a regular-season roster.

In 10 regular-season games in 2023, Ta’amu threw for 1,894 yards and 14 touchdowns, with three interceptions. He added 298 rushing yards and three scores.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/xfl-announces-qb-jordan-taamu-has-signed-with-vikings

Ta'amu played at the New Mexico Military Institute for two seasons, passing for 3,014 yards and 32 touchdowns as a sophomore. He transferred to Ole Miss in 2017, entering the season as the backup to Shea Patterson before taking over as the starter for the final five games after Patterson suffered an injury. He finished the season with 1,682 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He also rushed for 165 yards and 4 touchdowns. With Patterson transferring to the University of Michigan, Ta'amu entered the 2018 season as the starting quarterback. In his senior season he passed for 3,918 yards, 19 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. He also rushed for 342 yards and 6 touchdowns. He finished the season ranked second in SEC passing yards, behind Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa, who played in three more games.

wikipedia

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Ta'amu played at the New Mexico Military Institute for two seasons, passing for 3,014 yards and 32 touchdowns as a sophomore. He transferred to Ole Miss in 2017, entering the season as the backup to Shea Patterson before taking over as the starter for the final five games after Patterson suffered an injury. He finished the season with 1,682 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He also rushed for 165 yards and 4 touchdowns. With Patterson transferring to the University of Michigan, Ta'amu entered the 2018 season as the starting quarterback. In his senior season he passed for 3,918 yards, 19 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. He also rushed for 342 yards and 6 touchdowns. He finished the season ranked second in SEC passing yards, behind Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa, who played in three more games.

wikipedia

I'm wondering if he's a better candidate for eventual backup QB, after our QB coach and KOC "coach him up".  Maybe he'll even end up beating out Hall for the 3rd QB position (whether as 3rd on The Final 53, or on The Practice Squad? And after some good coaching for his "red shirt season", with also getting some NFL play in games later in this year, he can take over the #2 job from Mullen.  😀

On 8/19/2023 at 1:04 AM, Robb_K said:

I'm wondering if he's a better candidate for eventual backup QB, after our QB coach and KOC "coach him up".  Maybe he'll even end up beating out Hall for the 3rd QB position (whether as 3rd on The Final 53, or on The Practice Squad? And after some good coaching for his "red shirt season", with also getting some NFL play in games later in this year, he can take over the #2 job from Mullen.  😀

No, he's likely only being signed so Hall doesn't have to play the entire 3rd preseason game, because I expect that Mullens won't be playing either. 

• Like 1

Vikings better pay attention on cut day, apparently the Bears might be getting rid of Kellen Diesch who is currently a 3rd string OT.  Vikings could use him all day long, guy has skills and moves defenders, fine run blocker and big strong kid.  Would be well worth and and could be the best RT backup on the team potentially right now.  

21 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Vikings better pay attention on cut day, apparently the Bears might be getting rid of Kellen Diesch who is currently a 3rd string OT.  Vikings could use him all day long, guy has skills and moves defenders, fine run blocker and big strong kid.  Would be well worth and and could be the best RT backup on the team potentially right now.  

We'll have to see...he might be one of the few Bears' OL that isn't injured already. 

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

We'll have to see...he might be one of the few Bears' OL that isn't injured already. 

Jenkins is the only OL on the Bears currently who is hurt I believe.

Tyrone Wheatley Jr is another, on Cleveland and he might be cut considering no way they cut Dawand Jones or James Hudson.  Wheatley Jr I would take all day, he has looked very solid.  Crazy he was a TE/HB on Michigan, transferred to Stony Brooks only starting transitioning to OL in the NFL I believe.  

Lions could be another one to tap into for released OTs, they could release Obinna Eze, Connor Galvin or Ryan Swoboda but Swoboda might be a little too raw at the moment.  

Then the Chiefs might release Tega Wanogho or Niang, doubt they cut the rookie Morris but maybe they keep five OTs instead of four.  

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Jenkins is the only OL on the Bears currently who is hurt I believe.

Tyrone Wheatley Jr is another, on Cleveland and he might be cut considering no way they cut Dawand Jones or James Hudson.  Wheatley Jr I would take all day, he has looked very solid.  Crazy he was a TE/HB on Michigan, transferred to Stony Brooks only starting transitioning to OL in the NFL I believe.  

Lions could be another one to tap into for released OTs, they could release Obinna Eze, Connor Galvin or Ryan Swoboda but Swoboda might be a little too raw at the moment.  

Then the Chiefs might release Tega Wanogho or Niang, doubt they cut the rookie Morris but maybe they keep five OTs instead of four.  

Ms. Cronin (my favorite former Vikings beat writer) said the only starter not dealing with an injury right now is Braxton Jones.  Every single other one is coming back from an injury or dealing with one right now.