Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

I think it is hilarious that a team changed their name and possibly alienated more actual fans than the number of actual fans that were bothered by the name.  I don't blame those fans either.  I like the name Redskins more than Commanders too.

It's sad that a group largely consisting of third-party complainypanyts convinced others that they ought to be offended at something that was not previously offensive and that caused the team to change the name.  The group of people spending their energy being offended or pretending to be offended aren't spending that energy on one of the many things of real importance.

I'll be annoyed when a small group of outsiders drum up outrage and convince the Scandinavian and English populations to be offended about the name Vikings and persist for a generation until they have convinced enough kids to be outraged that the Vikings have to change names. I won't spend a ton of energy fighting it, but the people that stir that kind of outrage are a sad group of people. Pathetic really.

Hilarious?  I don't know. Sometimes all you can do is laugh at them, but I suppose it is more sad than hilarious.

I hope I never become a guy more interested in convincing people to be outraged, which makes the world a worse place, than actually doing something good in the world. I hope none of you will either.

The new owner of the Redskins can call the team whatever they want.  Whatever they do, I hope it works out for them. It's too bad for that organization that they have been so affected by a group more interested in finding a reason to be offended than finding a reason to be united. I won't be bothered by whatever the owner wants to call his team, but I'll think of them as the Redskins no matter what the owner changes the name to. That is not at all unlike UND will always be the Sioux to me.  If anyone decides to be offended about that, that is hilarious. I know the Sioux fans still call them the Sioux at their games. I assume it isn't that much different with Radskins fans.

At Sioux hockey games I still see fans wearing shirts and holding signs with this acrostic for the team's new official name which they mostly dislike:

How
About
We
Keep
Sioux

Here is my suggestion for the Redskins fans:

C - Changed to avoid confusion with the baseball team
O - Originally the Boston Braves
M - Made the change to promote patriotism
M - Make us proud, wear the Redskins name with pride
A - A name that is true to our roots
N - Not offensive when Marshall changed the name
D - Don't worry about complainypants language changers
E - Embrace the name Redskins
R - Respect the fans who love the name
S - Show strength and solidarity with the native americans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

The new owner of the Redskins can call the team whatever they want. 

no, he cannot.

he can't call the team the ThroatRippers or the GrannyRapists, or the CottonPickers.

because the NFL has boundaries as to what they deem offensive. now, what they deem offensive may not sound offensive to some peoples, so instead of just accepting that, they become complainypants kind of people.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Huge amounts of money wasted to be politically polite / woke for a few years.  Wasted $ is typical of big government, and the Washington Whatevers represent the US Capital town/ surrounding area.  Symbolism?  Yup!

You must be a big bill maher fan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

It's too bad for that organization that they have been so affected by a group more interested in finding a reason to be offended than finding a reason to be united.

Ah yes, poor billion dollar organization had to stop using a racial epithet for a mascot. Those people who do find it offensive should suck it up and decide not to be offended anymore. For the sake of unity?

What an incredibly narrow world view. I honestly can’t believe “it never used to be offensive” is the argument here. It always has been. Using a slur to describe a marginalized group of people that essentially endured a genocide, and then making money off of it in the entertainment industry is offensive. If you can’t understand that, it’s a you problem, not an other people problem.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Nope. 

Reality fan.

Disney.  Target.  Anheiser-Busch. Ben & Jerry. 

Thank you for this. Buddy of mine, totally normal man’s man, I’m talking fishing on the weekends, cutting down trees during the week, ate a pint of Cherry Garcia 6 months ago and caught the woke mind virus.

He’s seen Barbie 6 times. Something needs to be done about both Ben and Jerry.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Thank you for this. Buddy of mine, totally normal man’s man, I’m talking fishing on the weekends, cutting down trees during the week, ate a pint of Cherry Garcia 6 months ago and caught the woke mind virus.

He’s seen Barbie 6 times. Something needs to be done about both Ben and Jerry.

I told you, I just really appreciate the dialogue!

Also, imagine being such a sensitive fussbucket you get your panties in bunch because a sports team changed their name in an attempt to not offend some people and when challenged on it your response is to point to a petition and say “well look at how many racists agree with me”. 😂 

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I told you, I just really appreciate the dialogue!

Also, imagine being such a sensitive fussbucket you get your panties in bunch because a sports team changed their name in an attempt to not offend some people and when challenged on it your response is to point to a petition and say “well look at how many racists agree with me”. 😂 

The dialogue is woke and you are woke

Go shop at target, jabroni.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

no, he cannot.

he can't call the team the ThroatRippers or the GrannyRapists, or the CottonPickers.

because the NFL has boundaries as to what they deem offensive. now, what they deem offensive may not sound offensive to some peoples, so instead of just accepting that, they become complainypants kind of people.

Here's a great article on the subject.

Honestly, whether they call themselves the Redskins, Football Team, Commanders or something else, I applaud Washington's fans for sticking through this mess and the divorce of Dan Snyder from the team. I hope something positive comes from this situation that benefits the fans. Who knows, maybe they'll win another Superbowl!

https://fivethirtyeight-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-does-changing-a-teams-name-take-so-long/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_ct=1691935446110&amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16919353982994&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ffivethirtyeight.com%2Ffeatures%2Fwhy-does-changing-a-teams-name-take-so-long%2F