Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

PFN predicts the demise of the Motor City Kitties...and look who gets the final WC spot...and not to mention the highly unlikely scenario of 3 NFC West teams making the playoffs.

It's weird. Past results will tell you that the playoffs change every year to a certain extent. It's not crazy for teams to fall off. But if you try to predict something like that, it feels a little clickbaity? Negative predictions will always get more comments than positive ones. People are always ready to tell people why 'you' are wrong, but don't as easily comment praise or appreciation. 

Basically, I'll just say, this is a pretty wild prediction.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

It's weird. Past results will tell you that the playoffs change every year to a certain extent. It's not crazy for teams to fall off. But if you try to predict something like that, it feels a little clickbaity? Negative predictions will always get more comments than positive ones. People are always ready to tell people why 'you' are wrong, but don't as easily comment praise or appreciation. 

Basically, I'll just say, this is a pretty wild prediction.

Yeah, I don't think there's much there to account for its validity.  I'd be (pleasantly) surprised to see the Vikings make the playoffs this year...and there's little, if any, chance that the Rams get the #1 seed having to face the NFC North and AFC East this year.

• Like 2

Free agent cornerback Stephon Gilmore visited the Vikings on Monday and left without a contract. Head coach Kevin O'Connell said it was a "really positive" visit that allowed Gilmore to get a sense of the Vikings' culture.

O'Connell: "Had a great visit with him. Similar to some of the visits in years past, I would say it was really good dialogue amongst Stephon, myself, other coaches, getting to know him personally. Flo obviously has a relationship with him from the past and Daronte wanted to spend some time with him as well."

"We're very proud of the atmosphere, we're very proud of our locker room, our players, so I just think it's a positive when we can allow guys to get a little sneak preview, sneak peek at what they may be joining if all things work out. As far as where we're at right now, nothing to update there other than it was a really positive visit."

Although a deal didn't get worked out today, the Vikings have now met with Gilmore, discussed how he could fit in their defense, and given him a glimpse at what they have to offer.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/free-agent-cb-stephon-gilmore-leaves-vikings-visit-without-a-deal-01j54m7qbcst

agent and GM talking to each other now, perhaps...?

@Soko, what's your take? what motivates Gilmore? is it just money, or anything/something else?

Edited by vike daddy

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Seems very Risner-esque from last year. Hopefully they can come to terms before the season starts.

i like how what the Vikings are selling is culture. camaraderie. fellowship.

trying to make an emotional impact.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

@Soko, what's your take?

Not surprising for FA visits to end without a deal, wouldn’t cross him off the list quite yet.

I’m not really familiar with Minnesota’s secondary, so hard for me to comment more specifically than I did earlier. Like I said though, I think Gilmore’s still a decent starting CB in this league, preferably in a role where he isn’t tasked with too many CB1 duties. Pretty much how Dallas used him last year (and how Flores implemented Gilmore/Jackson/Jones/McCourty back in the day).

I know Flores is pretty flexible in terms of how he deploys his personnel, with the main staples being his aggressive approach with blitzes and fundamentals. When it comes to heavy man vs heavy zone we’ve seen him do both, so Gilmore should be a fit in the back end one way or another. Probably doesn’t have the athleticism to challenge some of the speedsters/short area quickness guys (like ARSB in the division) but I think Gilmore’s a good add to any CB room, even at this stage.

• Like 1

Just now, Soko said:

Not surprising for FA visits to end without a deal, wouldn’t cross him off the list quite yet.

I’m not really familiar with Minnesota’s secondary, so hard for me to comment more specifically than I did earlier. Like I said though, I think Gilmore’s still a decent starting CB in this league, preferably in a role where he isn’t tasked with too many CB1 duties. Pretty much how Dallas used him last year (and how Flores implemented Gilmore/Jackson/Jones/McCourty back in the day).

I know Flores is pretty flexible in terms of how he deploys his personnel, with the main staples being his aggressive approach with blitzes and fundamentals. When it comes to heavy man vs heavy zone we’ve seen him do both, so Gilmore should be a fit in the back end one way or another. Probably doesn’t have the athleticism to challenge some of the speedsters/short area quickness guys (like ARSB in the division) but I think Gilmore’s a good add to any CB room, even at this stage.

thank you for that depth. it's all football though (not surprising), but what i'm getting at is what is Gilmore like as a person, as a team member? aloof? involved? outgoing? quiet? social? solitary?

because what the Vikings were pitching to him yesterday is the culture of the team, not just the need for additional secondary guys. is he liable to respond to that, or is just about the $$?

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

thank you for that depth. it's all football though (not surprising), but what i'm getting at is what is Gilmore like as a person, as a team member? aloof? involved? outgoing? quiet? social? solitary?

because what the Vikings were pitching to him yesterday is the culture of the team, not just the need for additional secondary guys. is he liable to respond to that, or is just about the $$?

Cant speak to his current motivations, tbh. He’s won a championship, been DPOY, and he’s in the twilight years - money has to be somewhat of a priority.

As a team mate, he’s quiet. Like, super quiet. Doesn’t talk trash. I forget who it was, but there was a WR who commented on how strange it was to be talking smack the entire game and receiving absolutely nothing back from the DB. That said, he’s a good locker room guy, not the rah-rah leader or true glue guy for a secondary, but he’s been involved helping coach guys up before. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Please please please if we make a move for a QB don't trade for one. It's not going to move the needle for us. 

I really liked Tyler Huntley with Baltimore.  Decent, but not great arm talent...excellent at extending plays...can move the chains with his legs.