TCMD War Room

Nick

12 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

Great round of bidding this go! Landed all my targets.

Albert Wilson - 4 yr deal, 27.6 mil. Only 7 mil guaranteed in case he's not a great fit, but I like what he brings.
Courtney Upshaw - 4 yr, 5.2 mil. Cheap! Great depth piece.
Travis Swanson - 2 yr, 3.05 mil. If he can stay healthy, he could be a bargain starter down the line. At worst, he's a good depth center behind Groy.
Kyle Williams - 1 yr, 3 mil. Definitely think this is less than what we'll give him should he return, happy with the value! 

Unfortunately, we lost out on Cadet, my reserve bid kicked in but it wasn't higher than what Pittsburgh offered.

This could be our real free agency and I would be quite happy. Well done.

48 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

This could be our real free agency and I would be quite happy. Well done.

Same here! Don't forget I also snagged Lotulelei in round 1. Super happy with this FA class.

I have 19 mil in cap space remaining, with 5,280,000 reserved for the rookie pool, leaving me with about 13 mil to play with. Going to play around with some restructures/extensions to see if I can add to that.  

I can make an offer on Sam Bradford or Case Keenum now that their APYs are down to 11.9 mil. Is that something we should consider? Could hold off one more round... APYs will be down to ~9mil at that point. Either way, I was thinking of signing them to a 2 year deal, backloading the contract in year 2 to save some money this year.

Here are the other options at QB via free agency:

4968 - Austin Davis - QB
0164 - Blake Bortles - QB
4242 - Brandon Weeden - QB
5298 - Brock Osweiler - QB
3087 - Case Keenum - QB
2361 - Chad Henne - QB
6156 - David Fales - QB
2977 - Derek Anderson - QB
2460 - Drew Stanton - QB
3967 - Geno Smith - QB
1899 - Jay Cutler - QB
4770 - Josh Johnson - QB
4286 - Kellen Clemens - QB
1158 - Landry Jones - QB
1274 - Matt Cassel - QB
1287 - Matt Schaub - QB
1328 - Mike Glennon - QB

2647 - Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB
3131 - Ryan Mallett - QB
1855 - Sam Bradford - QB
3483 - Scott Tolzien - QB
5496 - T.J. Yates - QB
9335 - Trevor Knight - QB
4484 - Tyler Bray - QB
7311 - Zac Dysert - QB

My thought is, Rosen/Darnold will likely be going 1 and 2. Miami traded up to pick 7 to select Mayfield I presume. The likelihood that I can move to 5 or 6 are pretty low to jump Miami for Mayfield and I'm not even sure that's the best move for us regardless. So... my gameplan going forward is to take one of Josh Allen/Mason Rudolph/Lamar Jackson at 18 or 21 and have them sit behind Keenum or Bradford for a year. 

Any input is appreciated! It's an interesting scenario because it could very well be what we end up looking at heading into the draft.

@Maxmw22 @BigBillsFan13 @LeeEvans @marshawn lynch @Trentwannabe @davidderion @Yibbyl @gobills123 @BillsGuy82

16 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

The Saints snagged Preston Brown. Our LBer core is looking pretty weak. I think Milano earned a starting role, and Alexander is ok at SLB, so ILB is a big need now. Tried to sign Hitchens last round but lost.

Korey Toomer is at 5.1 APY, which I think is a little high. If he's around for the next round I'll see if the money will line up.

I have a reserve bid in on Cadet, meaning if someone bids on him my offer will kick in. I'll attempt to use one of my resign bids on Cadet next round. 

Disagree on Alexander... He should not be starting in this system

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

Disagree on Alexander... He should not be starting in this system

By the end of the year they were finally using Alexander properly. He was bringing the heat in that Jags game. Buffalo could still look for an upgrade at SLB but Alexander is a key piece to the defense moving forward IMO.

12 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

my preference would go

1. Keenum
2. Bradford
3. Fitzpatrick (Feel like McDermott would love him).

Then draft Allen.

I never in a million years would have expected to argue in favor of bring Fitzmagic back here, but, yeah, I agree with this group of 3 mentors and in that order. I'd gamble on Allen, frankly have no idea about Rudolph, but don't like what I've seen from Jackson. IMO, drafting Jackson is drafting an athlete (a very good one) who wants to play QB. I couldn't tell you any athlete that has actually played well as a QB for a multi-year career. I want a QB who can play QB, not wishful thinking that some terrific athletic threat will one day learn to pass well.

7 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

I never in a million years would have expected to argue in favor of bring Fitzmagic back here, but, yeah, I agree with this group of 3 mentors and in that order. I'd gamble on Allen, frankly have no idea about Rudolph, but don't like what I've seen from Jackson. IMO, drafting Jackson is drafting an athlete (a very good one) who wants to play QB. I couldn't tell you any athlete that has actually played well as a QB for a multi-year career. I want a QB who can play QB, not wishful thinking that some terrific athletic threat will one day learn to pass well.

This right here. I really hope we don't target Lamar Jackson (IRL). Give me an actual QB. The number of failed athletes who played QB is far superior to those who have succeeded. Give me a guy who will stand in the pocket and just manage the game and put the ball where it needs to go. You don't need an excellent athlete to roll out and just abandon the play and take it into his own hands. Everytime I watch Tyrod play and see him take it into his own hands, I just sit there waiting for an injury to happen

Offered Keenum a 2 year deal, APY of 10.75 and lost him to Tampa Bay because they offered him a 3rd year on the deal (less money per year). A little frustrated by that. Not much I can do..

Lost on Alfred Morris. Considering going after Chris Ivory because we looked at him, not a priority of mine though. 

That said, I did win Korey Toomer to slot in at ILB. A relatively cheap 3 year deal for a guy who could be our starter there. 

Resigned Shareece Wright for depth.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:24 AM, NickChowaniec said:

Offered Keenum a 2 year deal, APY of 10.75 and lost him to Tampa Bay because they offered him a 3rd year on the deal (less money per year). A little frustrated by that. Not much I can do..

Lost on Alfred Morris. Considering going after Chris Ivory because we looked at him, not a priority of mine though. 

That said, I did win Korey Toomer to slot in at ILB. A relatively cheap 3 year deal for a guy who could be our starter there. 

Resigned Shareece Wright for depth.

Man, with how things are setting up, we really could have used the Keenum signing. Bummer.

Glad to hear we got Toomer, though. How much was the contract? Personally, I think he is a poor man's Bobby Wagner. Knock on him coming out of college was that he was slow to diagnose plays, but he's got experience now with a few years under his belt and is still insanely athletic for a LB. We need that sideline-to-sideline speed and ability to cover in McDermott's scheme. I'm happy with this.

https://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/4/28/2981340/nfl-draft-results-2012-seahawks-select-korey-toomer-with-19th-pick-of-5th

and...

Basically finished with free agency, here's our incoming class:

Star Lotulelei
Virgil Green
Jay Bromley
Davon House
Albert Wilson
Courtney Upshaw
Travis Swanson
Kyle Williams
Korey Toomer
Shareece Wright
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Chris Ivory

The draft is under way. Follow along here:

Picks so far:

1 - CLE - Sam Darnold
2 - NYJ via NYG - Josh Rosen :(
3 - NYG via IND - Quenton Nelson
4 - CLE - Saquon Barkley
5 - OAK via DEN - Bradley Chubb
6 - IND via NYG via NYJ - OTC

Please feel free to chime in at any point. PM me if you prefer to be secretive, especially considering people have been stealing news from here. QB discussions should be via PM

5 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Love the free agency pick ups. I'd be extremely happy with that in real life. 

Lots of movement in the draft already. Are you considering moving up or leaning towards staying put?

I think I'm going to stay put for the moment. I don't love Mayfield or Allen enough to move up for them. Especially considering the cost is likely both our 1sts.

If those two slide a bit more, which I doubt with Miami moving up, I'll reconsider. 

Hate to rag on one of our own fans (running the Pittsburgh Steelers team) but the Steelers traded up from their spot to 8, and then moved more picks to get from 8 to 6 to select...

Baker Mayfield. Don't hate the player, just hate the scenario. 

Details: Moved from ~27 to 8 by giving up a 2019 1st, 2018 2nd. Then traded two 5th round picks to get from 8 to 6. Interesting move. Plus side, they likely grabbed Mayfield from Miami.

Archived