2018 HOF Class Discussion Thread

TheRealMcCoy

48 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

You're a massive homer incapable of being objective?

No I'm capable. Ive seen all those guys play. To say Harrison Smith is 1/4 the safety considering he's the best in the game today and he's asked to a ton in Zimmers defense is asinine. 

4 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Oh stop. 9_9

The friction wasn't imagined. TO was an immense primadonna. I love the guy. I still think he was a better receiver than Moss. But the dude wasn't always the easiest guy to share a locker room with.

Depends who you ask. I've talked with someone on the team who was there at the time. Said Owens was great, and a good teammate. 

Didn't say or imply anything about friction being imagined in regards to Owens. The 49ers were a dumpster fire at the time. Owens being a D to his quarterback or head coach doesn't change that.

3 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

I'm not saying he has issues with everyone. I am just saying he had his issues. It seems like people want to paint him as this poor, misunderstood dude. He wasnt. I mean, he wasnt satan either. I think the truth lay somewhere in the middle. 

Yes, he had his issues, which were mainly boiled down to not getting along with a couple of his quarterbacks, and head coaches. Who is painting him as misunderstood? Most people acknowledge he had baggage, but he deserved his spot in Canton without having to wait two years. Morten Anderson over Terrell Owens? Really?

57 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

No I'm capable. Ive seen all those guys play. To say Harrison Smith is 1/4 the safety considering he's the best in the game today and he's asked to a ton in Zimmers defense is asinine. 

To give Smith his respect, he probably is the best safety in the league.  But to be honest, that's not saying a ton.  There isn't a current safety that is playing in the league right now that will be viewed as an all-time great.  I think over the past 6 years, Earl Thomas has probably been the consensus best safety in the league and he isn't anywhere near the player Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins or Troy Polamalu were.

When people say that about Smith it isn't trying to downplay how great he is.  It's just that Polamalu was on a completely different level and there's no shame in that since Polamalu was arguably one of the most impactful safeties to ever play the game.  The guy was everywhere and made splash plays that would be most people's best plays ever... he made plays like that routinely.  His instincts and feel for the game was unreal and you can't coach or teach it. 

Archived