Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

On 5/4/2024 at 11:14 AM, vike daddy said:

What NFL team during the 1970s do you feel was the best at utilizing and succeeding at the screen pass? It was a play where all 11 men on offense had specific roles, and it was a play that could only succeed if all of those 11 players performed their roles to the utmost of their abilities.

First, your offensive line had to have excellent timing when breaking away from the line of scrimmage and then setting up their blocks. They had to be great at selling the play in order to fool the opposing defense. You also had to have a quality quarterback who could loft the ball on target.

Finally, you had to possess a setback who owned a pair of great hands to catch the pass, and who could weave his way through the mass of defenders who were quickly converging on him. Indeed, everyone on offense was needed to make the screen pass successful.

But what team from 1970 to 1979 was the most successful at it? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Minnesota Vikings -- with Fran Tarkenton at quarterback and Chuck Foreman at running back, and their sturdy yet quick offensive line -- were the NFL's best at pulling off the screen pass.

NFLinthe1970's.com

And now this current version of the Vikings has no idea how to do it.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, swede700 said:

You can have your Steel Curtain, your Doomsday Defense, your Rams line of the 60's and 70's!  IMHO, the greatest D-Line ever was made up of Marshall, Page, Larsson, and Eller!!  

Edited by Captain Relax
  • Like 2

Quarterback Kellen Mond’s time with the Saints has come to an end, as the Saints have waived Mond and offensive lineman Tommy Kraemer. They did not add anyone to the roster, but likely will in the coming days as they will be holding their rookie minicamp this weekend.

Mond signed with the Saints in mid-April, but it was easy to see his departure coming after the team drafted Spencer Rattler in the fifth round. That move gave them five quarterbacks and the Saints will now roll with Rattler, Jake Haener, and Nathan Peterman behind Derek Carr.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/saints-waive-kellen-mond-tommy-kraemer

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Quarterback Kellen Mond’s time with the Saints has come to an end, as the Saints have waived Mond and offensive lineman Tommy Kraemer. They did not add anyone to the roster, but likely will in the coming days as they will be holding their rookie minicamp this weekend.

Mond signed with the Saints in mid-April, but it was easy to see his departure coming after the team drafted Spencer Rattler in the fifth round. That move gave them five quarterbacks and the Saints will now roll with Rattler, Jake Haener, and Nathan Peterman behind Derek Carr.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/saints-waive-kellen-mond-tommy-kraemer

Your career is over if they keep Nathan Peterman over you.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I find it interesting that Alex Boone stayed in Minnesota after he was one of the team’s biggest free agent flops. 

It is odd, but he must have just liked the area so much that he stayed, even after playing with the Cardinals and Seahawks after. 

On 5/14/2024 at 5:13 PM, SemperFeist said:

I find it interesting that Alex Boone stayed in Minnesota after he was one of the team’s biggest free agent flops. 

I think it's interesting how much weight he dropped. Weird how OL seem to do that so easily.

I think Matt Birk got super fit after his NFL days too.

31 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think it's interesting how much weight he dropped. Weird how OL seem to do that so easily.

I think Matt Birk got super fit after his NFL days too.

Have you seen Hutch? Like Semper says, if you no longer have to eat a bunch of calories to keep your weight up, you'll settle down to where you likely should be. Even Phat Pat isn't quite as phat as he used to be, although he's still up there. 

• Like 1