Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Bud Grant's "bend but don't break" philosophy was carried to extremes during a 3-0 victory over Green Bay at Metropolitan Stadium on November 14, 1971. The team had been scoring more field goals than touchdowns up to then, but that afternoon saw Minnesota's offense hit a new low of inefficiency (five first downs, 87 total yards). Fortunately, as was the case back in those days, the defense came up big when it really mattered.

The Packers were able to roll into the red-zone almost at will, though each time they did, the Purple People Eaters thwarted threats (Paul Krause interception, blocked field goal, fumble, and goal line stand). It was in the fourth quarter of this scoreless tie when fortune finally prevailed. Charlie West's pick and return into enemy territory provided favorable enough field position for Fred Cox to split the uprights from 25 yards.

vikings.com

28 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Bud Grant's "bend but don't break" philosophy was carried to extremes during a 3-0 victory over Green Bay at Metropolitan Stadium on November 14, 1971. The team had been scoring more field goals than touchdowns up to then, but that afternoon saw Minnesota's offense hit a new low of inefficiency (five first downs, 87 total yards). Fortunately, as was the case back in those days, the defense came up big when it really mattered.

The Packers were able to roll into the red-zone almost at will, though each time they did, the Purple People Eaters thwarted threats (Paul Krause interception, blocked field goal, fumble, and goal line stand). It was in the fourth quarter of this scoreless tie when fortune finally prevailed. Charlie West's pick and return into enemy territory provided favorable enough field position for Fred Cox to split the uprights from 25 yards.

vikings.com

Who quartebacked that game? Cuazzo, Lee or Snead??

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Could you imagine modern-day fans watching that game? 

The first thing to remember was that defensive players were fun to watch and to root for back then.  Defense was not neutered like it is today. While a 3-0 game was tough to watch in 1971, as it is today...a 10-7 or 14-10 game could be a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

The first thing to remember was that defensive players were fun to watch and to root for back then.  Defense was not neutered like it is today. While a 3-0 game was tough to watch in 1971, as it is today...a 10-7 or 14-10 game could be a thing of beauty.

It's the same reason I actually could enjoy a 2-1 baseball game...and while the 1-0 Jack Morris 10-inning game is and always probably will be the best individual game I've ever seen. 

In the aftermath of his release from the Minnesota Vikings, Adam Thielen kept it cordial when speaking on his hometown team. But with a full year passed since he signed with the Carolina Panthers, Thielen shined a light on the team’s 2023 offseason that led to his release.

While there was belief that Thielen, who carried a $19.9 million cap hit into last season, could have taken a pay cut for a third consecutive year to st ay with the team, he revealed that the Vikings never left the door open for him.

Thielen: “They did not, no.It never really got to that point. At that point, it was, do you guys want me to come back this year? Obviously they’re building for the future, they really did some great things. They drafted a young receiver (Jordan Addison) that did a great job. I think they had a very specific plan of what their time was for the future and they’re attacking that and going after it. It is what it is. Have nothing but respect for all those guys.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/adam-thielen-panthers-contract-release-nfl/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR363Ntcm2BbIavs5Hh9LDrp5N9nXao1wwW87eHriUuP4U2j9X0UkilQdr4_aem_AQK0_J2Y4xkhF3KM63m7CA0AwqwlLOuSAccZ8uqdCTJ5ygNFtINdXZ48zwMH0PDN-ekczQHDaJoGxeAEkhmugl_X

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

KAM is certainly not without his warts (every GM is) but I think he's done a fantastic job of navigating the cap.

I think KAM has done a very good job as well. My only real criticism is the 2022 draft. 

• Like 1