Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Remembering the 1976 Minnesota Vikings.

Our Bicentennial year of 1976 would turn out to be the last hurrah for the Minnesota Vikings. It would turn out to be the last year that the Norsemen would go to a Super Bowl. Minnesota was deemed by many so-called experts as being too old to get back to another Super Bowl, but in the season of 1976, they proved the experts wrong.

The 1976 Vikings offense was led by none other than quarterback Fran Tarkenton, who threw for 2,961 yards, the most passing yards in the NFC. Other vital components in Minnesota's offense that year were running back Chuck Foreman and rookie wide receiver Sammy White. Foreman gained 1,155 yards rushing and caught 55 passes for 567 yards receiving in 1976. White took the league by storm with 906 yards in receptions and 10 touchdowns, both tops in the NFC.

Minnesota defeated the Washington Redskins in the 1976 NFC Divisional Playoffs, and the Los Angeles Rams in the 1976 NFC Championship Game. They fell to the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XI, however.

NFLinthe70's.com

56 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Remembering the 1976 Minnesota Vikings.

Our Bicentennial year of 1976 would turn out to be the last hurrah for the Minnesota Vikings. It would turn out to be the last year that the Norsemen would go to a Super Bowl. Minnesota was deemed by many so-called experts as being too old to get back to another Super Bowl, but in the season of 1976, they proved the experts wrong.

The 1976 Vikings offense was led by none other than quarterback Fran Tarkenton, who threw for 2,961 yards, the most passing yards in the NFC. Other vital components in Minnesota's offense that year were running back Chuck Foreman and rookie wide receiver Sammy White. Foreman gained 1,155 yards rushing and caught 55 passes for 567 yards receiving in 1976. White took the league by storm with 906 yards in receptions and 10 touchdowns, both tops in the NFC.

Minnesota defeated the Washington Redskins in the 1976 NFC Divisional Playoffs, and the Los Angeles Rams in the 1976 NFC Championship Game. They fell to the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XI, however.

NFLinthe70's.com

I think that was Bud Grant's best year as head coach. With Foreman and White, the offense became  disciplined and precise...which made Tarkenton even dangerous. Defensively, while still having core players like Page, Marshall and Eller...newer stars like Matt Blair added even more athleticism.  Yes, they were a surprise team...but not THAT much of a surprise.

In a post to his Instagram account, linebacker Eric Wilson wrote that he will be back for “another year with the pack” on a post featuring pictures of himself playing for the Packers. There’s been no confirmation from the team about any deal with Wilson yet, but it seems like a good bet that it will be coming.

Wilson has spent the last two seasons in Green Bay and has been a core special teamer in his 30 appearances with the team. Wilson has also played for the Eagles, Texans, and Vikings since joining Minnesota as an undrafted free agent in 2018.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/eric-wilson-says-hes-back-with-the-packers

56 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

In a post to his Instagram account, linebacker Eric Wilson wrote that he will be back for “another year with the pack” on a post featuring pictures of himself playing for the Packers. There’s been no confirmation from the team about any deal with Wilson yet, but it seems like a good bet that it will be coming.

Wilson has spent the last two seasons in Green Bay and has been a core special teamer in his 30 appearances with the team. Wilson has also played for the Eagles, Texans, and Vikings since joining Minnesota as an undrafted free agent in 2018 and standing up Lizzo.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/eric-wilson-says-hes-back-with-the-packers

Made sure to update his bio. 

Edited by swede700

43 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Enjoy the missed extra points and missed field goals inside the red zone Packer fans.

The XP's yes, but Joseph was money from FGs inside of 39 yards. In his career...

1-19: 1/1
20-29: 29/29
30-39: 32/33
XPs: 146/162
40-49: 22/30
50+: 16/28

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3975763/greg-joseph

The XP's for whatever reason seem to be mental with him. 

With all that being said I'm relieved he's no longer kicking for us, it was time to move on and find an alternative option.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm not sure but we might be getting a comp pick now with Joseph signing elsewhere. I'm not sure how much he signed for though.

@Cearbhall we need you!

He didn't sign for enough according to OTC.

Minnesota Vikings
CFAs Lost: 6 CFAs Gained: 5
Name Rd APY # Name Rd APY #
Kirk Cousins 3 $45M 8  
Danielle Hunter 3 $24.5M 39 Sam Darnold 5 $10M 266
D.J. Wonnum 6 $6.25M 360 Blake Cashman 6 $8.5M 342
Marcus Davenport 6 $6.5M 385 Shaquill Griffin 6 $4.55M 461
Jordan Hicks 6 $4M 467 Jonathan Greenard 4 $19M 121
K.J. Osborn 7 $4M 503 Andrew Van Ginkel 5 $10M 261
Non-CFAs Lost Non-CFAs Gained
Troy Dye   $1.79M 946 Trent Sherfield   $1.79M 895
Austin Schlottmann   $1.4M 1090 Dan Feeney   $1.8M 883
Joshua Dobbs   $2.25M 795 Jihad Ward   $1.79M 872
Olisaemeka Udoh   $2M 851        
Greg Joseph   $1.3M 1107      

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm not sure but we might be getting a comp pick now with Joseph signing elsewhere. I'm not sure how much he signed for though.

@Cearbhall we need you!

I'm not sure if this is every year or just this year but a good rule of thumb is $3M APY.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm not sure if this is every year or just this year but a good rule of thumb is $3M APY.

That's a good rule of thumb this year.  It will go up a little each year. Last year the cutoff was around $2.5M.

• Like 1

Yes, he only spent 8 yrs as a Vikings coach, but I still think of his LBs in the late 80s into the early 90s...and the fact that his d-bag son went to the other HS in my hometown (I think he was a couple of years behind me). 

• Like 1

Cornerback Patrick Peterson remains a free agent, three weeks after the Steelers cut him, but has not lost hope of signing somewhere.

Peterson: “Me and my agent have had conversations with a couple teams. Nothing really serious thus far, but there has been conversations. We’ll see what happens in the next couple months.”

“I do feel like I still have a lot left in the tank and can provide, not only leadership, but playmaking ability to whatever team desires to have me on their roster. At this point and stage in my career, going through the free-agent process, I’m just taking it a day at a time.”

“I don’t want to start at safety because that’s a different animal back there. That’s a different view back there. If that is the case, I would need to be warned going into the season to get my body, my mental prepared. It’s different being at the safety from the cornerback position, having those open-field tackles. As corners, we’re used to knifing in and slicing guys down. When you’re in the open field as a safety, especially if you’re in the middle of the field, that guy’s got 24 yards right and 24 yards left of you. There ain’t no way to cut him off by any means. You’re the last line of defense. So if that is something, I would need notice and probably, you know, get one of these old-time safeties like an Ed Reed or Polamalu to coach me up.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/patrick-peterson-still-sees-himself-as-a-cb-feels-he-has-a-lot-left-in-the-tank