Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

The Steelers parted ways with some veteran players this week and defensive back Patrick Peterson is hopeful that he won’t be joining them on the discard pile in the next few weeks.

Peterson signed a two-year deal with the Steelers last year and he’s due a $3 million roster bonus early in the new league year, so the Steelers have a decision to make about his future. On his All Things Covered podcast, Peterson said he wants to keep playing in Pittsburgh and that the ball is in the team’s court.

Peterson: “The question is if the Steelers want me to finish with them. I signed a two-year deal for a reason.” 

After playing his entire career as a cornerback, Peterson saw time at safety during the 2023 season and said he’s “open to playing wherever” the Steelers would want to put him next season. With the bonus due days into the league year, Peterson won’t have to wait long to know his fate one way or the other.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/patrick-peterson-i-signed-a-two-year-contract-up-to-steelers-if-they-want-me

Rick Dennison, who held multiple coaching roles in Minnesota from 2019 to 2021, is reportedly joining New Orleans for the 2024 campaign as the team's run game coordinator, according to Bleacher Report's Jordan Schultz.

If the report turns out to be true, Dennison will become the fourth member of the Saints' coaching staff to have a previous tenure with the Vikings. There's, obviously, Klint Kubiak, who spent five seasons in Minnesota as an offensive quality control coach (2013 to 2014), quarterbacks coach (2019 to 2020), and offensive coordinator (2021). But also on New Orleans' staff for 2024 are Joe Woods and Clancy Barone.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/former-minnesota-vikings-coach-joining-new-orleans-saints-2024?fbclid=IwAR0FVKLCs_SJvaKM2kSAcwefc9y-oCVFqdKgPs-4Xs0ZjC9r1aRuCC4dy9M

At the end of his first training camp, the players threw a party. Jim Marshall, then a veteran defensive end and team leader, placed a beer on the table in front of Page.

“Chug,” he said.

Page didn’t drink alcohol then and doesn’t now. He told Marshall no. This was the tradition, Marshall countered. All rookies were required to chug beer. Page refused again. Marshall tried to persuade him, telling him he needed to go along to stay on good terms with his teammates. Page was steadfast. Marshall relented and told him he could chug Cokes instead. Page wouldn’t do that either. The atmosphere grew tense. Marshall told him either he had to drink or leave.

Page walked out, the first of many hard stands he took in his professional life.

https://theathletic.com/5285529/2024/02/21/alan-page-nfl-career/?source=emp_shared_article

It's a phenomenal article if you have the opportunity to read it.  This is just one notable excerpt.  I'm going to post one more excerpt, but that will be it.

“We were still in the middle of the civil rights struggle,” Page says. “We were talking about freedom as football players. The spirit of the message was fitting.”

Head coach Bud Grant might not have thought so. Page and Grant often found themselves on opposing ends of a viewpoint. Page says he didn’t have much of a relationship with his coach, but Grant claimed he talked more with Page than any other player because Page questioned so many things.

Grant once fined Page $50 for being late to a meeting. Page filed a grievance with the union. Then he filed another, alleging Grant had not given the team the required time off during the week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

https://theathletic.com/5285529/2024/02/21/alan-page-nfl-career/?source=emp_shared_article

It's a phenomenal article if you have the opportunity to read it.  This is just one notable excerpt.  I'm going to post one more excerpt, but that will be it.

For things like this...Alan Page is my favorite player of all time. An All-Pro on and off the field.

On 2/15/2024 at 4:45 PM, swede700 said:

Former Gopher and Viking training camp participant (back in Zimmer's first year) retires after more than a decade up in the CFL...

Now, I know some may not think too highly of him or even remember him, but I've been following him on Twitter for some time now...and he's beloved in Hamilton...he's even having his own day today in Hamilton to celebrate his retirement and is getting rewarded with a "Snowmoni Lawrence" snowplow...how Canadian is that?  Tickets to the event sold out in hours. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

Alan Page is just one of those incredibly fascinating human beings who makes you realize that all men are not created equal. 

• Like 1