Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Legacy is not lost on Karl Dunbar, not with his extensive ties to the Steelers and their legends on the defensive line.

Dunbar isn't one of those legends, despite being drafted by the Steelers in the eighth round in 1990.

Given those connections, Dunbar was a natural fit as Mike Tomlin's choice to become the Steelers defensive line coach now that Mitchell is serving solely as assistant head coach after 24 years as defensive line coach.

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/kevingorman/13790627-74/kevin-gorman-karl-dunbar-carries-on-steelers-dl-legacy

Ed White was a four-time Pro Bowl selection and four-time, second-team All-Pro in 17 seasons as a guard with the Minnesota Vikings and San Diego Chargers. He was a member of the 40th Anniversary teams for both franchises as well as being named one of the 50 Greatest Minnesota Vikings in 2010. Now he’s dealing with Alzheimer’s disease. According to Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union-Tribune, White found out about his condition just two months ago. Officially, White was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s-related dimensia.

White: “After all the head-knocking, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I was driving home after the MRI and the doctor called. He already knew what I had. My hippocampus memory center is about half of what it should be.”

White was a second-round pick of the Vikings in 1969 out of University of California. The Vikings won the NFL Championship game in his rookie season to advance to Super Bowl IV against the Kansas City Chiefs, who beat the Vikings 23-7. He played a total of nine seasons for Minnesota and was named to the Pro Bowl in each of his final three seasons with the team. He was traded to the Chargers 1978 and played the final eight years of his career in San Diego. He made another Pro Bowl in 1979 and retired after the 1985 season with 241 career games under his belt.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/26/former-chargers-vikings-guard-ed-white-has-alzheimers/

Percy Harvin is a failure. He’s an entitled, high-strung hothead whose coaches struggled to harness his game-breaking skills as a wide receiver and return man. He complained, fist-fought and prima donna’d his way out of the NFL by age 28.

Percy Harvin is a success. A child prodigy raised by a single mom, he flew past his peers in high school and at Florida, enjoyed a lucrative pro career and won championships at every level. He retired in 2017, citing various medical issues and his desire to be the dad he never had.

Les Pico, who is still the Vikings’ player personnel director, was “a huge help. That’s why I say Minnesota was my best years; I had at least one person who understood. ... Other places were less understanding, because they just didn’t know.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/28/percy-harvin-anxiety-disorder-mental-health-vikings-florida

Duron Carter, the son of Hall of Famer Cris Carter, continues to play in Canada. But he’s no longer just a receiver. Carter has been lining up on defense lately, playing cornerback for the Saskatchewan RoughRiders. Last night, Montreal receiver Chris Williams ran right by Carter for a long catch and run for a touchdown. The Alouettes went on to win the game, 23-17.

Carter nevertheless has a pick six in an earlier 2018 game, and he’ll remain on defense until Nick Marshall is able to return from a broken hand suffered last month.

The 27-year-old Carter has four catches for 42 yards this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/01/duron-carter-will-keep-playing-cb-in-canada-for-now/

After Rashad changed his name, Simpson would call him, listen to him vent and offer encouragement. As the backlash built in St. Louis, Simpson successfully lobbied Buffalo to acquire him. The Bills came to accept Rashad, he writes, because O.J. vouched for him. Rashad spent only one season in Buffalo, but that rebuilt his reputation and led him to Minnesota, where he spent his best years in the NFL.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/06/29/ahmad-rashad-career-michael-jordan-nbc-sports

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, vike daddy said:

Ed White was a four-time Pro Bowl selection and four-time, second-team All-Pro in 17 seasons as a guard with the Minnesota Vikings and San Diego Chargers. He was a member of the 40th Anniversary teams for both franchises as well as being named one of the 50 Greatest Minnesota Vikings in 2010. Now he’s dealing with Alzheimer’s disease. According to Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union-Tribune, White found out about his condition just two months ago. Officially, White was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s-related dimensia.

White: “After all the head-knocking, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I was driving home after the MRI and the doctor called. He already knew what I had. My hippocampus memory center is about half of what it should be.”

White was a second-round pick of the Vikings in 1969 out of University of California. The Vikings won the NFL Championship game in his rookie season to advance to Super Bowl IV against the Kansas City Chiefs, who beat the Vikings 23-7. He played a total of nine seasons for Minnesota and was named to the Pro Bowl in each of his final three seasons with the team. He was traded to the Chargers 1978 and played the final eight years of his career in San Diego. He made another Pro Bowl in 1979 and retired after the 1985 season with 241 career games under his belt.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/26/former-chargers-vikings-guard-ed-white-has-alzheimers/

White was also a champion arm wrestler and was considered the strongest man in the NFL during his career.

Jared Allen learned a few tricks about getting to the quarterback during an NFL career that ended with 136 sacks and he spent some time this spring passing along what he learned. The Titans were the beneficiary of Allen’s insight. Allen lives in Nashville now and coach Mike Vrabel had him come in to talk to players after Allen reached out earlier this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/05/jared-allen-spent-some-time-with-titans-pass-rushers/

Todd Bouman spent just the first two seasons (2001-02) of his NFL career with the Vikings, but the native of Lyon County, Minnesota, has remained in his home state since retiring. Now, Todd’s son is following in his footsteps. Aidan Bouman, who also plays quarterback, is entering his junior season at Buffalo High School – where Todd is the head coach – and has already committed to play football at Iowa State.

“I see him starting as a true freshman at Iowa State,” senior Buffalo receiver Treyton Welch told KSTP about Aidan.

Added senior receiver Jack Munsterteiger: “He looks like an NFL player, he plays like an NFL player and he acts like an NFL player.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-cousins-favre-among-top-10-list-of-shocking-nfl-fa-signings?sf193370701=1

Edited by vike daddy

45 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Todd Bouman spent just the first two seasons (2001-02) of his NFL career with the Vikings, but the native of Lyon County, Minnesota, has remained in his home state since retiring. Now, Todd’s son is following in his footsteps. Aidan Bouman, who also plays quarterback, is entering his junior season at Buffalo High School – where Todd is the head coach – and has already committed to play football at Iowa State.

“I see him starting as a true freshman at Iowa State,” senior Buffalo receiver Treyton Welch told KSTP about Aidan.

Added senior receiver Jack Munsterteiger: “He looks like an NFL player, he plays like an NFL player and he acts like an NFL player.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-cousins-favre-among-top-10-list-of-shocking-nfl-fa-signings?sf193370701=1

Another future NFL backup QB from Iowa State in the mold of Sage Rosenfels and Seneca Wallace.  :D

21 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Bouman was our Quarterback's Coach my senior year at Buffalo High ( graduated 2008).

Really cool guy, still have no idea why he wasn't our OC...

Shouldn't he have been backing up Joe Flacco rather than being your QB coach?