Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

On 12/31/2017 at 9:36 AM, vike daddy said:

I’ve joked a few times on PFT Live that, if Jon Gruden returns to coach the Buccaneers, he may hire former Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms to join the staff. As it turns out, Gruden may return to coach the Raiders. And he may hire a former Raiders quarterback to join the staff.

Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Rich Gannon’s name keeps coming up as Gruden makes calls to round up potential members of a coaching staff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/31/rich-gannon-may-join-jon-gruden/

Gannon's never been a coach...and I'd be immensely surprised to see him take it up after being in the booth as long as he has.  As far as Del Rio getting fired, it's not an immense surprise, nor is it unwarranted.  Del Rio has always been limited as a head coach...he can only take a team so far before his message gets stale...it just got stale much quicker than it did in Jacksonville.  

With that said, I don't understand the fascination with Gruden.  He's not that much of a step up from Del Rio.  If he takes the job, he'll be out in 3 years, as they'll get tired of his messaging too.  He never was a great Xs and Os mind, and now that he's been out of the loop for a decade outside of commenting on it, I'm not sure he'll do all that well.    

4 hours ago, disaacs said:

Gannon's never been a coach...and I'd be immensely surprised to see him take it up after being in the booth as long as he has.  As far as Del Rio getting fired, it's not an immense surprise, nor is it unwarranted.  Del Rio has always been limited as a head coach...he can only take a team so far before his message gets stale...it just got stale much quicker than it did in Jacksonville.  

With that said, I don't understand the fascination with Gruden.  He's not that much of a step up from Del Rio.  If he takes the job, he'll be out in 3 years, as they'll get tired of his messaging too.  He never was a great Xs and Os mind, and now that he's been out of the loop for a decade outside of commenting on it, I'm not sure he'll do all that well.    

They want a big name for the move to Vegas. Del Rio being a local legend and growing up a Raiders fan would mean nothing to people in Vegas. Gruden is a "splashy" hire, more than a Shurmer or McDaniels would be.

3 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I'm not sure people in Vegas would care whether there's a splashy hire or not, what matters is whether the team is competitive, as games are going to be attended more by tourists than actual home-grown fans...at least initially.  

You need flash in Vegas to compete with everything else. Just winning wouldn't be enough, I don't think.

Just now, Klomp said:

You need flash in Vegas to compete with everything else. Just winning wouldn't be enough, I don't think.

If they want flashy, hire Belichick away from the Patriots...that's flashy.  I personally don't think Gruden is all that flashy...at least not that much more than Del Rio.  Hell, they could hire Rex Ryan...now that would be flashy.  

The Broncos have let several assistant coaches go since their season ended with Sunday’s loss to the Chiefs, including their offensive line, running backs and wide receivers coaches.

That will lead to significant changes to the offensive coaching staff for 2018, but there will not be a change at the top. General Manager John Elway and head coach Vance Joseph said at a Tuesday press conference that Bill Musgrave will remain the team’s offensive coordinator.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/02/bill-musgrave-will-remain-broncos-offensive-coordinator/

The Vikings have a chance to win a Super Bowl with Bud Grant still on the payroll. Grant, 90, the hall of fame coach who was on the wrong end of four Minnesota Super Bowls, is a consultant for the team, and you’d better believe he’s rooting hard for the Vikings to finally go back.

Grant: “Of course I’m enjoying it. I’ve got an office with the Vikings, I’m there every day. I know those people. I’m certainly excited that we’ve got a shot at it. That’s all you can do, and the ball’s got to bounce right. It’d be exciting, my family, we’ve grown up with the Vikings. This is my 50th year with the Vikings. I’m pulling as hard as anybody for them.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/02/legendary-coach-bud-grant-pulling-as-hard-as-anybody-for-vikings/

• Like 1

Vikings hall of fame defensive tackle Alan Page will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Fritz Pollard Alliance next month during Super Bowl week.

The Fritz Pollard Alliance deals with the NFL on minority hiring. In addition to Page, chairman John Wooten said Monday that Vikings chief operating officer Kevin Warren and the late Dennis Green, Minnesota’s coach from 1992-2001, will be among those honored at the Johnnie Cochran Salute to Excellence Awards at the Minneapolis Institute of Art on Feb. 1, three days before Super Bowl LII at U.S. Bank Stadium.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/01/vikings-legend-alan-page-executive-kevin-warren-late-dennis-green-to-be-honored-during-super-bowl-week/

21 hours ago, disaacs said:

If they want flashy, hire Belichick away from the Patriots...that's flashy.  I personally don't think Gruden is all that flashy...at least not that much more than Del Rio.  Hell, they could hire Rex Ryan...now that would be flashy.  

Nothing about Belichick is flashy. 

Blair Walsh is set to become a free agent in March and the Seahawks have already acquired one potential replacement. The NFL’s daily transaction wire brings word that they have signed former Jaguars kicker Jason Myers to a reserve/future contract that will give Myers a spot on the 90-man roster this offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/03/seahawks-add-jason-myers-to-kicking-options/

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Blair Walsh is set to become a free agent in March and the Seahawks have already acquired one potential replacement. The NFL’s daily transaction wire brings word that they have signed former Jaguars kicker Jason Myers to a reserve/future contract that will give Myers a spot on the 90-man roster this offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/03/seahawks-add-jason-myers-to-kicking-options/

I'll be amazed if Walsh gets another job.  At most, he has one shot left, before he goes the way of Alex Henery.