Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

3 hours ago, disaacs said:

He's the GCOAT, that's flashy.  While his personality ain't flashy, that is.  

On 1/2/2018 at 1:59 PM, disaacs said:

I'm not sure people in Vegas would care whether there's a splashy hire or not, what matters is whether the team is competitive, as games are going to be attended more by tourists than actual home-grown fans...at least initially.  

Like you said, there maybe won't be homegrown fans initially. So they need to CREATE a fan base. Create excitement. Create some hype. A Bill Belicheck probably wouldn't do that. If you turn on the news and watch the sports broadcast give a snippet of two press conferences between Belicheck and Gruden, which coach would you say "I want to go watch that guy's team play"

The hope should be not only to get some homegrown fans, but to get some of those tourists to become fans of the team during their stay. That might not be easy, but it's possible. Then they go home and the hope would be that they keep following the Raiders and eventually want to come back for another game.

I don't know if Gruden will do that either, but I think his odds are decent.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

Like you said, there maybe won't be homegrown fans initially. So they need to CREATE a fan base. Create excitement. Create some hype. A Bill Belicheck probably wouldn't do that. If you turn on the news and watch the sports broadcast give a snippet of two press conferences between Belicheck and Gruden, which coach would you say "I want to go watch that guy's team play"

The hope should be not only to get some homegrown fans, but to get some of those tourists to become fans of the team during their stay. That might not be easy, but it's possible. Then they go home and the hope would be that they keep following the Raiders and eventually want to come back for another game.

I don't know if Gruden will do that either, but I think his odds are decent.

First off, most fans don't watch press conferences...otherwise, the Bills, under Rex Ryan, would have been the most watched team in the NFL.  That's people like us that watch them.  What most people, IMO, want to watch is winners.  Belichick is a winner. Gruden is basically a .500 coach.  If the Golden Knights weren't playing as well as they were, they'd probably still be selling out this year because of the newness, but they are getting over-capacity crowds because of their play and not the names they see on the back of the jerseys, most of whom they probably can't even pronounce, let alone recognize.

Edited by disaacs

14 minutes ago, disaacs said:

First off, most fans don't watch press conferences...otherwise, the Bills, under Rex Ryan, would have been the most watched team in the NFL. 

They don't watch entire press conferences, but they do watch bits of them when on SportsCenter or the local news.

Maybe I've been affected too much by PJ Fleck at the college level though.....

7 minutes ago, disaacs said:

First off, most fans don't watch press conferences...otherwise, the Bills, under Rex Ryan, would have been the most watched team in the NFL.  That's people like us that watch them.  What most people, IMO, want to watch is winners.  Belichick is a winner. Gruden is basically a .500 coach.  If the Golden Knights weren't playing as well as they were, they'd probably still be selling out this year because of the newness, but they are getting over-capacity crowds because of their play and not the names they see on the back of the jerseys, most of whom they probably can't even pronounce, let alone recognize.

Klomp said: there maybe won't be homegrown fans initially. So they need to CREATE a fan base.

I think they signed Gruden simply because its the Raider way. Splash and flash.  Like Disaacs said he is a .500 coach.  Really the longer he was out of the league it seems the better coach he became.  His name has been linked to so many teams  its like the Raiders finally got him. Raiders landed Gruden. 

As to Klomps point , it costs about $100.00 to $130.00 to fly round trip to Vegas from Oakland. Take away parking costs and add Vegas. I am betting they retain most of the season ticket holders they presently have. Its really the cost of a nights hotel and Vegas insanity money. That is why fans are not throwing a stink about one of the marque franchises moving.