Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

The best thing that the Dolans could do for fans is sell the team.

The worst thing they could do is move it and profit from the move.

He bought the team 20 years ago for 325 million and the team is now worth 1.15 billion. So Im not buying this 'we're poor and cant afford anything' crap.

Imagine a asset increasing $825 million dollars over 20 years and you tell your employees that your too broke to afford new tables and vending machines in the break room.

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He bought the team 20 years ago for 325 million and the team is now worth 1.15 billion. So Im not buying this 'we're poor and cant afford anything' crap.

Imagine a asset increasing $825 million dollars over 20 years and you tell your employees that your too broke to afford new tables and vending machines in the break room.

I have expressed this before but it bears repeating.

IMHO, the owner of a major sports franchise, usually subsidized heavily by local government, has a civic duty to deliver winning teams to the community.

And by "winning", I mean winning it all, whatever the designation of "best" is in the particular sport.

The Dolans, also IMHO, are despicable for not having recognized, accepted and fulfilled that duty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I have expressed this before but it bears repeating.

IMHO, the owner of a major sports franchise, usually subsidized heavily by local government, has a civic duty to deliver winning teams to the community.

And by "winning", I mean winning it all, whatever the designation of "best" is in the particular sport.

The Dolans, also IMHO, are despicable for not having recognized, accepted and fulfilled that duty.

I dont think thats wrong I can see it. Im just more upset that instead of going 'all in' from 2014-2019 they decided to just dip their toes in the water. The failure to recognize a championship window and going for it was embarrassing. All I was asking for was to push the chips into the middle of the table for a 5 year stretch and go get one. Instead we made value veteran signings to patchwork around a elite pitching staff and the 1-5 hitters.

Remember the one year they signed CarGo and Hanley Ramierez? Like in hopes they would dupe the fans into name value. They should have made a move for Whit Merrifield and the Andrew Miller equivalent of a Outfielder. Perhaps Marcel Ozuna or maybe even a crazy idea like paying Brantley to stay.

They hit on rentals like Bruce, Miller, Edwin, ect but I would have liked to have gotten a longterm piece and not a 1 season type rental guy.

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

They hit on rentals like Bruce, Miller, Edwin, ect but I would have liked to have gotten a longterm piece and not a 1 season type rental guy.

Bruce was the rental but Miller and Edwin weren’t rentals. Miller, we got three years out of him. Edwin, we got 2 years but they moved on from him cause they didn’t want to pay him. 

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Only thing that annoys me is why couldn’t they have traded hand for a prospect? At least get something out of him. 

Must’ve thought teams weren’t going to be willing to pay any type of decent prospect for a guy who they also would have to pay $10M

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bruceb said:

The best thing that the Dolans could do for fans is sell the team.

The worst thing they could do is move it and profit from the move.

I keep hearing they will be selling the team. Sounds like Sherman was in line to eventually buy until he bought the Royals. 

My Butch Davis is telling me they’ll be forced to sell after this year. Like I said words out there they lost tens of millions of dollars. 

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

That’s not how business works. That 1.15 billion is not a liquid asset they can spend. I know you guys don’t want to hear it but the Indians are limited to what they spend based on tv revenue and what they bring in from the stadium. And their tv contract is garbage. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

That’s not how business works. That 1.15 billion is not a liquid asset they can spend. I know you guys don’t want to hear it but the Indians are limited to what they spend based on tv revenue and what they bring in from the stadium. And their tv contract is garbage. 

How though? I read it was either this season or last the Indians had the best local viewership ratings or one of the best in all of baseball. Problem was they couldnt get anybody to actually GO to the games in person.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

How though? I read it was either this season or last the Indians had the best local viewership ratings or one of the best in all of baseball. Problem was they couldnt get anybody to actually GO to the games in person.

It’s because of the contract they signed many moons ago. I have no doubt because of the viewership numbers their next tv contract should be better. And hopefully more attractive to a potential buyer. 

2 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

It’s because of the contract they signed many moons ago. I have no doubt because of the viewership numbers their next tv contract should be better. And hopefully more attractive to a potential buyer. 

Ahh..got it. Can Dan Gilbert buy this Indians or isnt there some thing where you cant own 2 teams in the same city?

Also, what do you make of the Indians waiving Hand and Santanta coming next? Couldnt they have picked up Hands 9 mill and traded him for something?

Zack Meisel said that there is a really good chance the Indians let everybody go outside of Jose. Lindor, Perez, Santana, Hand, Hernandez, Naquin all gone and potentially Carasco as well.

Basically he made it sound like its going to be the Jose Ramierez and Shane Beiber show

Edited by AkronsWitness

55 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ahh..got it. Can Dan Gilbert buy this Indians or isnt there some thing where you cant own 2 teams in the same city?

Also, what do you make of the Indians waiving Hand and Santanta coming next? Couldnt they have picked up Hands 9 mill and traded him for something?

Zack Meisel said that there is a really good chance the Indians let everybody go outside of Jose. Lindor, Perez, Santana, Hand, Hernandez, Naquin all gone and potentially Carasco as well.

Basically he made it sound like its going to be the Jose Ramierez and Shane Beiber show

I don’t think Gilbert can buy them. I definitely don’t like them waiving Hand, they should have been able to get something for him for sure. 

3 hours ago, zelbell said:

Must’ve thought teams weren’t going to be willing to pay any type of decent prospect for a guy who they also would have to pay $10M

Any prospect would be better. Wouldn’t even have to be a top guy in the system. Get something, anything...idk hand seems he is worth every bit of $10m. Last year. His first week, week and half of the season was a struggle but he was darn good after that