Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

On 12/6/2023 at 9:11 PM, mchjstnk said:

Nick Kurtz from Wake should be the pick. Big power bat

I think it's going to depend on whether Wetherholt keeps growing into his power and whether he shows he can stick at SS or if he'll need to move to 2B/3B. IF he does both of those, he's the clear #1. If either isn't (especially if he looks like he needs to move off of SS) I think Kurtz is more likely. Only complication there being that with the Civale trade, the hope is that 1B is blocked for the next few years by Manzardo. So then whether Kurtz is athletic enough to be at least average defensively in RF/LF becomes a big deal. I'd love it if Wetherholt shows he can stick at SS, because his batting eye is SPECIAL. Like, we're talking about "constant competitor for highest BA in baseball during his prime" level good hit tool. If he can stick at SS and have above average power, that's a super super skill set.

• 3 months later...

I haven't watched them in almost 4 years, but I saw this, and thought I should share it.

Too bad the club doesn't have a DeLorean to be able to go back a year and deal him at the dead line.  

Now they'll get nothing for him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10016339-guardians-shane-bieber-will-undergo-season-ending-surgery-on-elbow-injury

Bieber injury is huge. Deflates the one major strength of the team (SP). 

On the draft front, having the #1 pick and all, it seems like a year where there's a lot of legitimate options but no true "this HAS to be the guy!" pick. Candidates would include: Charlie Condon(3B/OF), Travis Bazzana (2B), Nick Kurtz (1B), Jack Caglianone (1B), Hagen Smith (SP), and Chase Burns (SP). 

I think it'll come down to Condon/Kurtz/Bazzana personally. For now, I think Condon's year puts him as the favorite, but could absolutely see it going any direction.

• 2 weeks later...