Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Tito is definitely retiring after this season.

Curious who we go after as replacement. John Farrell is a guy I could see us looking at.

One thing I can guarantee is it will be an internal hire. For some reason every team in this town thinks the answer to their problems are already in the building. 

6 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

One thing I can guarantee is it will be an internal hire. For some reason every team in this town thinks the answer to their problems are already in the building. 

Coaching isn't the problem with this team. Ownership is.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

Coaching isn't the problem with this team. Ownership is.

Yeap. The ownership has been asking the front office and coaching staff to work miracles each season for a decade. Probably longer.

Its just shocking to me how every 2-3 years they cant get a little crazy and actually pay a high profile bat. You are letting a decade+ worth of elite elite elite pitching that 99% of teams would kill for, go to absolute waste by being tight.

Develop pitching + pay for hitting = Compete for the WS.

If Cleveland had a league average payroll at 15th and not 26th every year, they would have won a title by now and probably would have been competing deep into the postseason for a few more.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeap. The ownership has been asking the front office and coaching staff to work miracles each season for a decade. Probably longer.

Its just shocking to me how every 2-3 years they cant get a little crazy and actually pay a high profile bat. You are letting a decade+ worth of elite elite elite pitching that 99% of teams would kill for, go to absolute waste by being tight.

Develop pitching + pay for hitting = Compete for the WS.

If Cleveland had a league average payroll at 15th and not 26th every year, they would have won a title by now and probably would have been competing deep into the postseason for a few more.

They have tried to pay for hitting a few times. And it hasn’t worked out. I think that’s what’s scaring them off. 

26 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

They have tried to pay for hitting a few times. And it hasn’t worked out. I think that’s what’s scaring them off. 

ehhh Im talking about paying like with what they did with Edwin Encarnacion. A legit proven 60M bat who is known around the league. Not some reclamation project like Josh Bell. 

Outside of Jose, they arnt paying another batter above 3.5M this year (naylor) lol Yeesh The Guardians second highest paid hitter on the squad is making as much as Shelby Harris and the Braves have 12 hitters on their roster making more than 3.5M. TWELVE! We have 1. 😂

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Well some teams do it (pay for bats) every single year, so to expect the one or two time you do it to lead to a ring is pretty optimistic.

They want to compete but they don’t want to be competitive when it comes to paying for talent.  Obv that can happen from time to time but to have that as an expectation is delusional.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, mchjstnk said:

Absolutely fantastic hire. He will be amazing with the young team 

Yeah, I'm fine with this. Dude is super well regarded around the game. Was tagged as a future manager like 3 years before he retired and he basically used his last years as internships to learn from some of the best managers in the game. 

Craig Counsell was the big name, but, honestly, is he a top 5 manager? Is he a guy who turns a mediocre team into a champ? I feel like those both have to be true for him to earn "resetting the coaching market" money, and I don't know that he is. I like Vogt, solid move. This FO works wonders with peanuts every year. What I wouldn't give to see them unleashed with a 180-200 million budget for 2-3 years in row.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FGK said:

Yeah, I'm fine with this. Dude is super well regarded around the game. Was tagged as a future manager like 3 years before he retired and he basically used his last years as internships to learn from some of the best managers in the game. 

Craig Counsell was the big name, but, honestly, is he a top 5 manager? Is he a guy who turns a mediocre team into a champ? I feel like those both have to be true for him to earn "resetting the coaching market" money, and I don't know that he is. I like Vogt, solid move. This FO works wonders with peanuts every year. What I wouldn't give to see them unleashed with a 180-200 million budget for 2-3 years in row.

Is the pitching coach staying on status quo?