Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

On 7/15/2024 at 6:57 PM, candyman93 said:

I love how this franchise loves drafting and developing pitchers. 9 out of 11 picks were pitchers.

https://x.com/franmilseyebrow/status/1812964997930315820?s=46

This was the draft for it for sure. The prep pitching class was really deep and the prep hitters very shallow (at least both guys I've heard talking about it have characterized it as such). 

It looks like we're likely going to have to use the money we saved on Bazzana (reportedly agreed to an underslot deal before the draft, huge win) and their 6th/8th/9th round picks (lower regarded college players) to sign three different HS pitchers we got much later than their rankings (typically happens because they want more money than teams will give or they will go to college). 

Joey Oakie - ranked by most in the 30s/40s, we got him at 84. He's listed at 6'3 but probably more like 6'1. Effortless delivery and hitting 97 already. He's a guy who gets REALLY interesting if the development team gets him up 2-3 MPH from his current fastball velocity like Bibee and Cantillo did after we drafted them. He's already got a plus slider with potential for ++.

Cameron Sullivan - ranked around 100, we got him past 200. His velocity kept getting better and better throughout the last calendar year. Started as a 88-90 guy and ended 94-95 and hitting 97.

Chase Mobley - Ranked around 80, got him at 295. 6'5 lefty who's hit 99 at times but hovers lower in the 90s. Lots of projection.

Interestingly, all three of these guys (and Bazzana) got flagged as "high character/plus makeup" picks.

1 hour ago, FGK said:

This was the draft for it for sure. The prep pitching class was really deep and the prep hitters very shallow (at least both guys I've heard talking about it have characterized it as such). 

It looks like we're likely going to have to use the money we saved on Bazzana (reportedly agreed to an underslot deal before the draft, huge win) and their 6th/8th/9th round picks (lower regarded college players) to sign three different HS pitchers we got much later than their rankings (typically happens because they want more money than teams will give or they will go to college). 

Joey Oakie - ranked by most in the 30s/40s, we got him at 84. He's listed at 6'3 but probably more like 6'1. Effortless delivery and hitting 97 already. He's a guy who gets REALLY interesting if the development team gets him up 2-3 MPH from his current fastball velocity like Bibee and Cantillo did after we drafted them. He's already got a plus slider with potential for ++.

Cameron Sullivan - ranked around 100, we got him past 200. His velocity kept getting better and better throughout the last calendar year. Started as a 88-90 guy and ended 94-95 and hitting 97.

Chase Mobley - Ranked around 80, got him at 295. 6'5 lefty who's hit 99 at times but hovers lower in the 90s. Lots of projection.

Interestingly, all three of these guys (and Bazzana) got flagged as "high character/plus makeup" picks.

Excellent post as always.

start teaching splitters and change up from day 1 ,

On 7/16/2024 at 7:01 PM, FGK said:

Think bazzana turns into next lindor?

On 7/19/2024 at 8:30 PM, mtmmike said:

Think bazzana turns into next lindor?

Hmmmm.

So, 2017-2019 was Lindor's peak. During those years, he averaged about .280/.340/.510 (OPS of about .850) with ~35 HRs and 20 SBs a year. That's like, in the MVP conversation type numbers. I think anything like that's a 90th % outcome for Bazzana. And that's ignoring that he's just not really a comp to Lindor (Lindor was an excellent defensive SS while putting up those numbers, Bazzana is likely a very good 2b or okay CF, plus Bazzana is more BA/OBP oriented, I'd be surpriseded if he had multiple 30+ HR seasons.)

If I was putting out more of an optimistic but well within the realm of realism outcome for Bazzana it would be something like...

.295/.350/.460 with 20-24 HRs and 16-22 SBs annually while playing a solid 2B/CF. It's not quite the Lindor line on power, and doesn't come with as important a glove, but it's still probably a "2nd best player on our team behind Jose" package.

A fantasy analyst I trust projected his realistic prime projection as...

.287/.366/.481 with 25 HRs and 20 SBs. So he's a touch more optimistic than me, but I can see it. I'm really excited. I think he gets to the majors by this time next year.

On 7/19/2024 at 5:56 PM, FGK said:

Well dang! That's a heck of a deal for the Guards. Clearly that's how they could afford to sign their three over slot deals. They saved about 1.6M in bonus pool on Bazzana.

https://x.com/jimcallisMLB/status/1814359728262119645?t=Ct2IwKeedRyaaX9iS-FQmw&s=19

Draft signing tracker here.

https://www.coveringthecorner.com/2024/7/19/24201716/cleveland-guardians-2024-draft-tracker-who-signed-far-how-much

Between Bazzana and the two other college guys who have signed so far, we've saved about 1.95M dollars on their slots. Expect to see that go in some combo to Joey Oakie, Cameron Sullivan, and Chase Mobley. Mobley especially should get WAY over slot. He was thought to be a solid college commitment and was hitting 100 on some guns at his last showcase of the year. He's a guy who will take some development but his raw arsenal has crazy potential.

One of the things the guardians have going

for them is a excellent development rate.

this could mean all these kids can be in bigs in 2years with a quick sign where they will make more then all but the highest payed executives.

given a stable return on investment in after tax money there income from investment would hit 160,000

per year while finishing there college education.

2 hours ago, FGK said:

Draft signing tracker here.

https://www.coveringthecorner.com/2024/7/19/24201716/cleveland-guardians-2024-draft-tracker-who-signed-far-how-much

Between Bazzana and the two other college guys who have signed so far, we've saved about 1.95M dollars on their slots. Expect to see that go in some combo to Joey Oakie, Cameron Sullivan, and Chase Mobley. Mobley especially should get WAY over slot. He was thought to be a solid college commitment and was hitting 100 on some guns at his last showcase of the year. He's a guy who will take some development but his raw arsenal has crazy potential.

To give you some names

loiusiana lighting 93 to95

vida blue 97 or 98 mph

randy Johnson 97 to 98

Front office did a bad job regarding starting pitching and basically threw in the towel by not adding someone

Gavin Williams will be fine, so will the other 2. You can win a world series with those 3. However, the rest of this staff is horrible.

Edited by candyman93