Jump to content
pwny

Allen Hurns - keep or let go?

Recommended Posts

I’m going to be making a handful of single decision topics for us to discuss over the next several weeks. This one seemed a good place to start.

Allen Hurns is one of the lovable players in the team. He puts everything he has into helping the team and genuinely seems like a wonderful person. The underdog story going from UDFA to putting up WR1 numbers his second year has been a great one to follow. However, injuries have plagued him throughout his career, particularly the last two seasons.

Scheduled to make 6.9 millions + 100k in a workout bonus, moving on from Hurns could offer significant cap relief for a Jaguars team that - for the first time in forever - isn’t swimming in cap space. However a release of Hurns could leave the Jaguars with only 2 rookies from last season as the impact players.

What should we do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the cap situation becomes absolutely dire, i'd lean toward keeping him.  It'll be tougher to justify with ARob likely getting a huge raise, making for a lot of money invested at the position (even with the 2 affordable rookies).  But it's so hard to know exactly what we're going to get with ARob coming off injury...Lee is going to want way more than he's worth, so it'd be nice to have at least some sort of veteran and continuity with a guy like Hurns.  He's shown to have a nice rapport with Bortles as well.  Gonna need more than just ARob, DeDe, Cole...even if ARob does come back as good as new.  We've seen from Hurns himself how an impressive rookie performer can stumble the next year.

I don't think you're going to find the right value veteran in FA, but if you can somehow get a better (more consistent and reliable?) receiver for the same price or less...you can't let sentimentality get in the way of that.  Though Hurns also has the advantage over any prospective FA vet in that his contract right now is at the point where it's easy to walk away from.  A free agent signing is going to be more of a locked in commitment, even if the money is close.  Cap flexibility is going to be important in the coming years, more so than the 2018 season even.

So unless there's the deal of a lifetime out there in FA, that basically leaves drafting a high-end guy as the avenue to finding a bigger bodied #2ish sort of WR to round out the group.  Which isn't an unattractive option...but rookie WRs can be plenty hit or miss, and we do have plenty of other needs that would be nice to address with those Top-60/100 sort of picks.

Which is how i arrive at probably leaning toward just keeping Hurns.  Might be a little on the pricey side, but ARob/Hurns/DeDe/Cole is a solid WR corps (if they can stay healthy), with good continuity, rapport with Bortles, and a decent variety of skillsets.  And it certainly doesn't hurt that we've seen Hurns appear to be a great teammate and character guy in Jacksonville already.

 

 

The idea of trying to restructure Hurns deal is interesting too.  He'd be a lot more of a no-brainer keep at a slightly lower cap number.  I'm not sure how much i'd want to tinker with guaranteed money or extending into the future though.  The flexibility to just walk away from his deal is one of the more attractive elements to his status, wouldn't really want to compromise that...and not sure how else you'd get him to rework things to bring the salary down for this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on the fence.

He is making a good chunk of change next season and he has only played in 21 out of a possible 32 games the last two seasons.

I do like Hurnsy in the slot a lot. Despite missing time, he is a warrior. 

A-Rob/Hurns/Cole/Dede is not shabby at all.

We can focus on upgrading the TE position, O-Line and depth in general.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to me it depends on what we do with Arob and lee. id also say it could depend what we do with our first few picks and if we draft a wr earliy then i would say trade him for a pick or something. weve seen multiple wrs perform extremely well early on minus last seasons lackluster WR rookies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

We have enough cap space this year. Is there an immediate benefit to cutting/trading him now instead of next year?

Yeah, more cap space. 

We should be fine...but With Bortles having to be way overpaid, and having to fit ARob in, potentially at franchise tag money...we're not exactly going to be swimming in room like we have been lately. If they want to make any sort of upgrades via free agency, it could get pretty tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah, more cap space. 

We should be fine...but With Bortles having to be way overpaid, and having to fit ARob in, potentially at franchise tag money...we're not exactly going to be swimming in room like we have been lately. If they want to make any sort of upgrades via free agency, it could get pretty tight. 

I expected this. Just seemed like we’re in a big hurry. Also are we really expected to be big players in free agency? I assumed not. After cutting Ivory shouldnt we have plenty of space to keep Hurns for another year while Dede and Cole improve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I expected this. Just seemed like we’re in a big hurry. Also are we really expected to be big players in free agency? I assumed not. After cutting Ivory shouldnt we have plenty of space to keep Hurns for another year while Dede and Cole improve?

Depends on where we want the money to go.

We’re at 23.5 now. If we cut Ivory, we get an extra 6 (if they do it as a June 6 cut). So 29.5.

ARob getting franchised would be ~16.2, so we’re down to $13.3.

 

These are the players selected at our current draft spots last year and their year one cost

1.29 David Njoku - 1.73

2.29 Josh Jones - .77

3.29 Montravius Adams - .67

4.29 Jamaal Williams - .61

Not gonna go any further, but we got ~$3.9. Round it up to an even 6 to account for the remaining picks and some UDFAs. That’s still probably low, but ??‍♀️

So we’re talking like $7 mill to do Free Agency. It’s doable if we want to not be active, but it’s going to be tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Depends on where we want the money to go.

We’re at 23.5 now. If we cut Ivory, we get an extra 6 (if they do it as a June 6 cut). So 29.5.

ARob getting franchised would be ~16.2, so we’re down to $13.3.

 

These are the players selected at our current draft spots last year and their year one cost

1.29 David Njoku - 1.73

2.29 Josh Jones - .77

3.29 Montravius Adams - .67

4.29 Jamaal Williams - .61

Not gonna go any further, but we got ~$3.9. Round it up to an even 6 to account for the remaining picks and some UDFAs. That’s still probably low, but ??‍♀️

So we’re talking like $7 mill to do Free Agency. It’s doable if we want to not be active, but it’s going to be tight. 

Fair enough. It is possible we can get a longer term smaller yearly amt for Rob but you’re right its really tight. I just would hate to let Hurns go if all we have is a questionable Arob, Dede and Cole while Lee walks but we cant keep everyone. Gotta get better in other areas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Fair enough. It is possible we can get a longer term smaller yearly amt for Rob but you’re right its really tight. I just would hate to let Hurns go if all we have is a questionable Arob, Dede and Cole while Lee walks but we cant keep everyone. Gotta get better in other areas 

I would be trying to find a way to keep Hurns. A restructure of his deal and Dareus’s would free up some money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iPwn said:

I would be trying to find a way to keep Hurns. A restructure of his deal and Dareus’s would free up some money.

True, hopefully he is willing to do it. Idk if Dareus would be down. The team SEEMS like they love it here but when asking them to take a pay cut it could get hairy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Fair enough. It is possible we can get a longer term smaller yearly amt for Rob but you’re right its really tight. I just would hate to let Hurns go if all we have is a questionable Arob, Dede and Cole while Lee walks but we cant keep everyone. Gotta get better in other areas 

And that's without trying to find money to re-sign Colvin (though he looks likely to be a cap casualty already), or a guy like Omameh who was mostly decent and would be awfully nice to bring back as solid depth at least.

That Bortles money really changes the cap picture for this team, for the worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than crawling off the field what did Hurns really do last year? I think fans get to emotionally invested in players and what they've done. I'm ok with losing Hurns next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×