Ask Keyser - 2017 Fantasy Questions Thread

keysersoze3421

2 hours ago, Daimonas said:

Is Matt Ryan still worth keeping as a backup qb? His arm worries me going forward for sure.

Depends on who your other quarterback is or who you would replace him with. Likely too soon to just completely dump him, particularly if you're replacing him with a mid tier quarterback. May be a better platoon quarterback though. The arm was ugly on thursday night, but at the same time, he was facing one of the best defenses in the nfl. There will be better days for Matt Ryan. 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Aaron Jones is available in your league? yeah I would grab him for sure. Id probably drop Clement and keep Breida. Sproles really seemed like he is going to eat into Clement's role that he had in the playoffs last year of third down back. rn hes their third guy with Ajayi getting all of the goal line work. 

Also, nothing wrong with having Kittle and Gronk. They both could be in your lineup on a weekly basis. Both guys are somewhat injury prone too (especially gronk) so having a legitimate TE1 as your backup doesnt sound bad. Its pretty clear to me that Kittle will be a huge part of every gameplan this year. hes a bonafide flex play most weeks imo on a team that will have to pass a lot. 

Here is my team (.5 ppr)

D. Watson

Hunt, Lewis, Michel, Gio Bernard, Breida, Kenneth Dixon

Hopkins, Diggs, Tyreek, E. Sanders, Godwin, Golladay, Rishard Mathews

Graham, Njoku, Jared Cook

Its two WRs, Two RBs, one TE and two flex spots. So basically Im starting 4 WRs every week as Hopkins, Diggs, Tyreek and Sanders all seem like must plays every week. I feel thin at RB right now but Michel should come back soon so I guess its not a huge need

My question is  - Pat Mahomes is available. So is  phillip lindsay. I am thinking I will drop Rishard Mathews for one of them, but which one? Should I do it for Mahomes and if so, how much FAAB money should I spend? right now I have a bid of $12. I could also drop Kenneth Dixon for the other one if that is worth it? 

I liked the stack of Hopkins and Watson, but Mahomes and Tyreek the freak could be just as lethal. 

I think Lindsay is going to get a lot of love this week, and I wouldn't be surprised if that bid goes higher than 12. I haven't decided if he's completely worth it after a single game, because I'm not sure if what we saw was real or not. He's good out of the backfield, but is he really going to get a 50/50 carry split with Freeman moving forward? I'm not completely sold on Watson, so I don't mind having a second quarterback there with him in case things go south. I'd probably target Mahomes first. 

5 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

In a standard league, what kind of RB should I be looking to acquire if I package Burkhead and TY Hilton? 

I don't think that's enough to get you an rb1, so I'm thinking rb2. I'm trying to avoid Devonta Freeman, but that may be around where you are capped out at (depending on the owner). Alex Collins could make some sense. I'd avoid Shady McCoy. You can absolutely go for broke and try to get someone like Hunt after his subpar game, particularly if that player needs a wide receiver, but I don't think anyone would take that deal at this point (give it another bad week though against a solid opponent in Pitt, and that could change). Same for Dalvin Cook. For either of those, you may have to up the running back going back to the other team. 

So I'm about to blast out a few trade offers in my league, hoping to acquire top end talent for multiple pieces. almost never works, but I'm hoping that teams with multiple holes will take me up on the offer. I think I'm focusing the offers on AP + Brandin Cooks. I put in my first one for Hopkins.  The guy's running back situation is pretty brutal in my opinion (Alex Collins and Shady), his wide receivers are stout (Julio, Hopkins). He's got some depth at the rb spot (Ajayi, Carson, Morris), but nothing super special. Cooks should be in line for a good season, so I'm hoping he views AP as an improvement in the running game while not giving up a complete ton in the receiver market. 

I'd prefer to target an rb2 as opposed to another wide receiver, but elite production is elite production, so I'm not going to argue it. 

Was thinking about offering something similar for Kareem Hunt, but I'm starting to cool on that. I don't love Hunt's match up this week, and I think its possible if he struggles again that I could get a good discount on him. May make a similar offer for David Johnson though. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that's enough to get you an rb1, so I'm thinking rb2. I'm trying to avoid Devonta Freeman, but that may be around where you are capped out at (depending on the owner). Alex Collins could make some sense. I'd avoid Shady McCoy. You can absolutely go for broke and try to get someone like Hunt after his subpar game, particularly if that player needs a wide receiver, but I don't think anyone would take that deal at this point (give it another bad week though against a solid opponent in Pitt, and that could change). Same for Dalvin Cook. For either of those, you may have to up the running back going back to the other team. 

I agree with your reasoning. I think that Hilton and Burkh ad should get a strong RB2. I’d be looking at Devonte Freeman, Mixon, Cook, Ajayi, Collins, or Drake. 

The problem is that I’ve got real concerns about Freeman’s and Cook’s health, and Ajayi and Mixon are coming off of big games so their value is up. So perhaps Drake or Collins is the smart play. Maybe you could get something in return at WR.

EDIT: I’d be all over Hunt. His value will never be lower. 

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

EDIT: I’d be all over Hunt. His value will never be lower. 

This is what I'm debating in my main league. I was going to put in an offer for him, but I think there's a real chance that his value is going to tank middle of the season. I mean, his schedule is kind of brutal, and I think he's going to be largely mid rb2 for me most weeks. 

This week against Pitt could be a shootout with KC passing the ball a ton. Last year, the steelers weren't awful stopping the run either. So this could be a meh game. Then they play the niners, who have a legit run defense (though he could eat them up underneath out of the backfield in the passing game). Then the Broncos. Then the Jags.  Another game against the Broncos later down the line...A game against the Ravens and Rams as well.

I mean, I don't know...I think I may pull back on the Hunt buy low scenario right now. I think there could be some major tankage in his value in the coming weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is what I'm debating in my main league. I was going to put in an offer for him, but I think there's a real chance that his value is going to tank middle of the season. I mean, his schedule is kind of brutal, and I think he's going to be largely mid rb2 for me most weeks. 

This week against Pitt could be a shootout with KC passing the ball a ton. Last year, the steelers weren't awful stopping the run either. So this could be a meh game. Then they play the niners, who have a legit run defense (though he could eat them up underneath out of the backfield in the passing game). Then the Broncos. Then the Jags.  Another game against the Broncos later down the line...A game against the Ravens and Rams as well.

I mean, I don't know...I think I may pull back on the Hunt buy low scenario right now. I think there could be some major tankage in his value in the coming weeks. 

Believe in ability. If you think that Hunt is a great RB...get him. If you think that he is a decent RB in a good situation...don’t get him. I’d be shocked if Hunts stock will ever be lower...so for that reason alone you can buy, even with the intent on selling at a later date if you’re concerned about schedule. Good RBs are still typically usable in bad matchups...the Chiefs are a good offense...Hunt will get his opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Believe in ability. If you think that Hunt is a great RB...get him. If you think that he is a decent RB in a good situation...don’t get him. I’d be shocked if Hunts stock will ever be lower...so for that reason alone you can buy, even with the intent on selling at a later date if you’re concerned about schedule. Good RBs are still typically usable in bad matchups...the Chiefs are a good offense...Hunt will get his opportunities. 

Yeah, my vision may be clouded by the fact that I wasn't big on him entering the season (He was originally going to be my keeper in my main league, but I ended up dumping him because I just couldn't get behind him as a top 10 player). I think last year he helped considerably by his 90% carry share, which I don't think is going to happen again. 

I think I will eventually target him, but I think I'm going to wait a few weeks. Going to see if I can get other players to bite on similar deals for the like of Hopkins / DJ / maybe Beckham. 

Archived