We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

We should Trade Crowder, Reed, Doctson, Smith, Norman, Swearinger, Moses and Scherff.

We need to think about 2 or 3 years down the line, obviously we aren’t going to keep these players because they aren’t pro bowlers so we should just move them and then suck for 4 or 5 years and start over.

We should trade TWill and Kerrigan, night as well sell high they aren’t the future, they’re the past.

I’m sure we will see these topics next for in future months or next year or the year after. It’s inevitable.

The players you mentioned (other than Crowder) aren't on the last year of their contract.  

53 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

I'm a straight up jerk.

But if I knew heading into the draft that it was inadvisable for Kerrigan to play on the right side because of his hearing, I would have passed. Many here would have. I remember those clamoring for the crazy physical specimens at DE compared to past and future years. Watt/Jordan/Wilkerson/Heyward (Solder at OT and Smith at CB fit that prerequisite too).

A perfect role model was needed on defense, so I suppose there is that to factor in, but there were a boatload of impressive physical specimens on the DL and they passed on them all. Maybe I'm not over it.

Either way, if we're being real, it doesn't make sense to trade either of them right now. Add to the pass rush, do not subtract. 

I actually think they'll look to sign Preston Smith long-term this off-season like they did with Morgan Moses and more recently Dunbar. Schaeffer is the man with the plan - I still can't believe most of you do not see it.  

Me too. I think P Smith could be extended in a month or two if they work out the entire Cousins situation, which by mid March or April, they should be done with all that mess.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

What did I make up?

Never mind I read your post wrong. I thought you said we drafted another OLB who has more potential. Meaning, Anderson.

Yeah, we probably could get a raw talent like we did with Smith in 2015 who is tall, with long arms and with the same or a little mroe athletic ability, but if we do, that means we aren’t getting Guice/J. Jackson/Ridley/Raquon Smith/Payne/Via/D.Ward in round 1. 

So our defense and running game won’t get better in round 1, through the draft, at best it will remain the same with the “hope and prayer” that this player would develop into an Orakpo or better in a few years.

I’d rather see our defense get better by taking a position we need, rather than create an unnecessary hole and hope that the new guy can even be as good as PSmith in his first 3 years. (3 interceptions  and 20.5 sacks) while being 1st or 2nd on the team in pressures. (I think smith leads the team in pressures over the last 3 seasons.)

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I really don't understand the negative response to suggesting trading Preston Smith.  He's so unbelievably mediocre.  

I told you no one agreed with you on this. You made the claim that he was mediocre earlier in the year and most disagreed, the only one who agrees is Doc who has never liked Smith.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I’d rather see our defense get better by taking a position we need, rather than create an unnecessary hole

I already consider ROLB a hole,.  Upgrading the position would strength the defense significantly.  

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We can draft an OLB with higher potential.  Preston Smith isn't an elite pass rusher.  

Except that's now another hole we have to fill.

The defense needs at least one corner, probably an ILB, an actual NT, and some edge rusher depth.

So even if Chubb falls to us, you still keep Smith because he's cheap and you need to the depth.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I told you no one agreed with you on this. You made the claim that he was mediocre earlier in the year and most disagreed, the only one who agrees is Doc who has never liked Smith.

The right decision isn't always the most popular one.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I already consider ROLB a hole,.  Upgrading the position would strength the defense significantly.  

With a raw rookie? Highly unlikely. A rookie would probably do exactly what Smith does. I don’t see a rookie coming in and getting 3 to 5 more sacks than Smith did. Trading smith away for cents in the dollar because you HOPE you find a rookie ROLB who gets 2 or 3 more sacks a year DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. 

Archived