We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

16 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Well, Alex Smith was worth a 2nd rounder.

I would say that Preston Smith has Alex Smith potential. He's a good situational pass rusher. He's a guy I want on the team for cheap, but don't really want to invest a lot of money in, long term

Right.  I agree with this assessment which is why we should consider trading him now before he needs a contract extension next year.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Right.  I agree with this assessment which is why we should consider trading him now before he needs a contract extension next year.

Nobody is giving up anything for that. Not anything worthwhile. DO you really think the front office can find a suitable replacement with an extra 5th rounder?

All I want to know is this:

1) IF Preston Smith a breakout year and there were few injuries to the team maybe some, less penalties, Defense becomes a Top 10 defense this upcoming season, and Preston is a 1st alternative select for the Pro-bowl? Would you still sign him to a contract? Or say bye-bye and cut your loss on a good or MAYBE a great potential player?

2) Or if Preston Smith has an okay season and the defense looks like a Top 15 defense, but he still perform the same way as he did last year? Would you still sign him or cut your loss with him?

Elite LB's are hard to find and especially when it comes to a 3-4 defense LB.  I say sign him only because where can you can find and elite LB knowing Snyder and Bruce Allen wants to win  and win now. Definitely not in the free agent this year or maybe next? And you maybe take a chance in the draft this year but that's even here or there a 50-50% chance you are taking.

Its best to keep on stacking your defense while you still can, No the Redskins are not the Eagles or the Patriots or even Vikings or even THE FREAKING JAGS lol,  but what they did was kept building their teams up, groom them and are now playoffs/super-bowl contenders.

We all want to win so badly, I get it, but you just can't keep throwing your "GOOD YOUNG" players out for the other teams to ****** Preston and use him like The Titans are using Orakpo. And that's why they are a playoff team and the Skins are not!!!

JS

2 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Nobody is giving up anything for that. Not anything worthwhile. DO you really think the front office can find a suitable replacement with an extra 5th rounder?

I think we could dupe some team into giving us more than that.

9 minutes ago, TruSkinsFan said:

1) IF Preston Smith a breakout year and there were few injuries to the team maybe some, less penalties, Defense becomes a Top 10 defense this upcoming season, and Preston is a 1st alternative select for the Pro-bowl? Would you still sign him to a contract? Or say bye-bye and cut your loss on a good or MAYBE a great potential player?

Of course I would, I don't really understand this question?  I think your hypothetical situation is a big IF though.  

11 minutes ago, TruSkinsFan said:

2) Or if Preston Smith has an okay season and the defense looks like a Top 15 defense, but he still perform the same way as he did last year? Would you still sign him or cut your loss with him?

I would cut my losses.  He isn't worth giving a contract extension at his current performance.  

12 minutes ago, TruSkinsFan said:

Elite LB's are hard to find and especially when it comes to a 3-4 defense LB.  I say sign him only because where can you can find and elite LB knowing Snyder and Bruce Allen wants to win  and win now. Definitely not in the free agent this year or maybe next? And you maybe take a chance in the draft this year but that's even here or there a 50-50% chance you are taking.

Its best to keep on stacking your defense while you still can, No the Redskins are not the Eagles or the Patriots or even Vikings or even THE FREAKING JAGS lol,  but what they did was kept building their teams up, groom them and are now playoffs/super-bowl contenders.

We all want to win so badly, I get it, but you just can't keep throwing your "GOOD YOUNG" players out for the other teams to ****** Preston and use him like The Titans are using Orakpo. And that's why they are a playoff team and the Skins are not!!!

Preston Smith isn't very good though.  We should trade him now and try to find our own elite OLB in the draft.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Of course I would, I don't really understand this question?  I think your hypothetical situation is a big IF though.  

I would cut my losses.  He isn't worth giving a contract extension at his current performance.  

Preston Smith isn't very good though.  We should trade him now and try to find our own elite OLB in the draft.

I think what it boils down to is your perspective versus theirs. You all but stated it earlier in this thread.

You (and do correct me if I am mistaken) have given up on the success of the next year or two. .. so you have moved onto future considerations. No? or yes?

If yes, then this greatly conflicts with the F/O and HC's plans.. because they are looking to win now.. and save their jobs. 

To save their jobs, they will want to be competitive right now... so it would not benefit their 2018 plans to trade away a good (not sucky-not great) defensive player at a key position for some day 3 rookie to develop. 

4 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I think what it boils down to is your perspective versus theirs. You all but stated it earlier in this thread.

You (and do correct me if I am mistaken) have given up on the success of the next year or two. .. so you have moved onto future considerations. No? or yes?

If yes, then this greatly conflicts with the F/O and HC's plans.. because they are looking to win now.. and save their jobs. 

To save their jobs, they will want to be competitive right now... so it would not benefit their 2018 plans to trade away a good (not sucky-not great) defensive player at a key position for some day 3 rookie to develop. 

I have a realistic opinion of our roster in that we won't compete for a Super Bowl.  I don't care about limping along for a 9-7 season.  I want to build a championship caliber roster.  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I have a realistic opinion of our roster in that we won't compete for a Super Bowl.  I don't care about limping along for a 9-7 season.  I want to build a championship caliber roster.  

Right. That's the conclusion I came to. You are going to remain unhappy.. because your vision for the team does not coincide with that of the folks making the decisions. 

On 2/14/2018 at 10:42 AM, MKnight82 said:

Alternative to trading him: extend him now at a smaller price. Try to buy low, but don't make it insulting (a la Cousins). Chances are he won't accept it, but it couldn't hurt to try.

I get where you are going with regards to trading him, though.

Just now, Woz said:

Alternative to trading him: extend him now at a smaller price. Try to buy low, but don't make it insulting (a la Cousins). Chances are he won't accept it, but it couldn't hurt to try.

He isn’t worth extending.  We need a new starting ROLB.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

He isn’t worth extending.  We need a new starting ROLB.

If that's the theory then, we should give Ryan Anderson the gig before drafting another guy.

No, I don't think that Anderson will be an improvement much less the same. However, given our situation right now, we have to prioritize where we make fixes.

Just now, Woz said:

If that's the theory then, we should give Ryan Anderson the gig before drafting another guy.

No, I don't think that Anderson will be an improvement much less the same. However, given our situation right now, we have to prioritize where we make fixes.

Think about it though.  The defense isn’t very good.  The only place where we don’t have a returning starter is at NT (and possible #2 cb but I’d argue we have options there).  So then you have to just come to the realization that the guys we have need replacing if we are going to upgrade the defense.  Preston Smith plays arguably the most important position in the modern nfl (edge pass rusher), and does it at a mediocre level.  Upgrading that position would make the biggest positive impact on the defense as a whole.

37 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Think about it though.  The defense isn’t very good.  The only place where we don’t have a returning starter is at NT (and possible #2 cb but I’d argue we have options there).  So then you have to just come to the realization that the guys we have need replacing if we are going to upgrade the defense.  Preston Smith plays arguably the most important position in the modern nfl (edge pass rusher), and does it at a mediocre level.  Upgrading that position would make the biggest positive impact on the defense as a whole.

Yes, but the problem is that the Redskins have so many holes (LG, NT, MLB, at least one WR, RB, CB (while we might have options, I'm not sure they are workable options)). Making another one they would need to fill is dicey at best. Unless you think they can get by with Ryan Anderson, I don't see them doing it. I'm not saying I disagree with your logic, but I don't think it will improve the defense they way you envision it will.

I get the idea with trading Smith: you don't think he's part of the long term plans for the franchise, so get higher trade value than you would get from any possible compensatory pick. However, due to the lack of the 3rd round pick, if the Redskins do this, I feel like they have to put Ryan Anderson there and cross their fingers. If it works, jenga! If it doesn't, you fix it in the 2019 draft.

Archived