We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

9 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I'm arguing you have zero context for "he's not worth it" when you don't really what the worth is.

Other than that, he's a 25 year old pass rusher, who learned a new position coming into the league, doing ok for himself and you want to dump him based on hypotheticals. Do you, man.

Watch him play then get back to me.

On 2/18/2018 at 10:18 PM, Jlash said:

I'm arguing you have zero context for "he's not worth it" when you don't really what the worth is.

Other than that, he's a 25 year old pass rusher, who learned a new position coming into the league, doing ok for himself and you want to dump him based on hypotheticals. Do you, man.

I'm not there is "zero" context. The easiest thing would be to look at what other players received last year.

• Donta Hightower: 4y/$35.5M ($8.875M AAV)/$19M guar/$17M guar at signing
  • Jabaal Sheard: 3y/$25.5M ($8.500M AAV)/$12.75M guar/$9.5M guar at signing
  • Malcolm Smith: 5y/$26.5M ($5.300M AAV)/$11.5M guar/$11.5M guar at signing
  • John Simon: 3y/$13.5M ($4.500M AAV)/$5.5M guar/$5.5M guar at signing

Now, if the Redskins could get him at a John Simon price, then I think they'd do it. I suspect that @MKnight82 believes the contract is going to be closer to the Hightower side of things. I would be curious, MK, where your "keep/trade" line is.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'm not there is "zero" context. The easiest thing would be to look at what other players received last year.

Now, if the Redskins could get him at a John Simon price, then I think they'd do it. I suspect that @MKnight82 believes the contract is going to be closer to the Hightower side of things. I would be curious, MK, where your "keep/trade" line is.

I think he's a back up caliber OLB.  So that John Simon contract looks ok.  I would also want to draft a replacement and Smith would have to accept a role coming off the bench.  

54 minutes ago, Woz said:

Hightower and Smith aren't 3-4 rush LB's so I'm not sure if they really count as in the same field. 

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I think he's a back up caliber OLB.  So that John Simon contract looks ok.  I would also want to draft a replacement and Smith would have to accept a role coming off the bench.  

Redskins ranked number 2 in pass rushing as a team in 2017.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915923/article/eagles-redskins-seahawks-head-nfls-best-passrushing-units

Total pressures: 269. 

Top pass rusher: Ryan Kerrigan (51 pressures). 

Washington was one of 12 teams to clear 40 sacks on the season. The Redskins' underrated front seven offers a bevy of players who can get after the quarterback on a consistent basis, with Kerrigan leading the way.

Third-year pass rusher Preston Smith is one of the more underrated young defenders in the league. He led all players with 200 or more pass-rush attempts in pressure rate, recording a pressure on 15.9 percent of his rushes. His sack totals (eight in 2017) simply don't do his play justice. Washington had three players finish inside the top 12 in pressure rate in 2017, with impending free agent Junior Galette joining Kerrigan and Smith.

The team also has another young potential star on its hands in 2017 first-round pick Jonathan Allen. The rookie went down early with a Lisfranc injury, but he looked like the next great interior disruptor, with 16 pressures in just five games.

Just now, Jlash said:

You don't want those 2.5 sacks/year John Simon type play though?

It is what it is. Mknight has made up his mind, there’s no changing it. I’ve now posted two articles proving that’s Preston Smith is better than he thinks, and done it multiple times with Junior Galette as well. It doesn’t matter, he’s not going to change his mind.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

This article is ridiculous.  You really believe the Redskins have a better pass rush than the Jags?  Better than the Panthers?  This is one of those times you’ve just gotta look at the article and say something is off here.  The guys definition of a pressure is any time the defender was within 2 yards of the QB at the time of the throw.  It takes no consideration of whether the player made any sort of impact on the play or not. I know you watched all 16 redskins games last year, do you honestly believe this article or are you just posting it to be argumentative?

btw the author of the article is “associate fantasy football writer”.

20 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair, the redskins pass rush was pretty damn good when Allen and Ioannidis were healthy. If we get Payne to go along things I think you'll see a major jump in Prestons sack numbers. 

We rarely use a 3-4 set though.  I like Payne, but I’m not thrilled about using a first round pick on a guy that’s going to play 30% of our snaps.

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair, the redskins pass rush was pretty damn good when Allen and Ioannidis were healthy. If we get Payne to go along things I think you'll see a major jump in Prestons sack numbers. 

I agree with you . The redskins did need to blitz more and play more press coverage .

overall I am pleased on how the pass rush looked. I am fine with Payne or Vets .

Archived