We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

The defense needs at least one corner

Agreed, but not likely a first round need.  Breeland coming back is an option, and we have Dunbar and Moreau that could possibly take over at the #2 role.  What we need is a slot CB, which typically can be filled in later rounds.  

3 minutes ago, Slateman said:

probably an ILB

If Brown is retained this is debatable. I really thought Mason Foster was going to leave, but he's been solid when he's been healthy.  We have solid depth here too with Spaight and JHC.  If Brown leaves obviously this becomes a priority.  

4 minutes ago, Slateman said:

an actual NT

I don't disagree, and Payne sounds like a great option, but it also kind of bothers me spending a top 15 pick on a guy that's probably a 2 down player in the modern NFL.  A lot of great NTs are drafted in later rounds.  I would be pretty excited if we picked Payne, I would also be really excited if we drafted Key or Davenport and drafted a NT in the 4th round.  

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

So even if Chubb falls to us, you still keep Smith because he's cheap and you need to the depth.

He's only cheap for one more season.  

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

With a raw rookie? Highly unlikely. A rookie would probably do exactly what Smith does. I don’t see a rookie coming in and getting 3 to 5 more sacks than Smith did. Trading smith away for cents in the dollar because you HOPE you find a rookie ROLB who gets 2 or 3 more sacks a year DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. 

Stop thinking about 2018 and start planning for 2020.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

That's not what the front office is going to do. You don't trade for Alex Smith and sign him to that deal to plan for 2020.

Besides, which 5th/6th rounder are you going to draft to take his place?

2 minutes ago, Slateman said:

That's not what the front office is going to do. You don't trade for Alex Smith and sign him to that deal to plan for 2020.

Besides, which 5th/6th rounder are you going to draft to take his place?

Oh I don't think the Front Office will do it, I think they should though.  

I would spend our first round pick on an OLB edge rusher. 

I don't think you would get anything higher than a 5th round pick for Preston/Nancy. Its as you wrote- has a few good games and others where he is a non-factor. He is too toght in the hips to play OLB effectively in a 3-4. The big problem with him at DE in a 4/3 is he is soft and subpar against the run. He is easily blocked just with a TE which should never happen and happans almost always with Nancy. Seems like a good character guy, but simply isnt that good athletically and has the desposition of a nice guy, not a mean MF what I want in all of my defensive players. H is a wasted draft pick that will be a depth guy and probably out of the league by 2020. 

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

In 2020, we can draft Kerrigan’s replacement if Anderson or Murphy aren’t the answer, or we could move Smith over to Kerrigan’s side and draft an OLB in round 1.

Look, the fact is that I don’t absolutely love the OLBs we’ve drafted since Kerrigan but we did draft them and they should be given the chance to prove they can be a starter like Murphy in 2014 - if they fail then draft an OLB in the following draft. 

At this point though I don’t see why we should create another problem for ourselves when we have half a dozen others to fix in free agency. 

Truthfully, your thought about Smith are the same thoughts that almost 1/2 of the fanbase had about Cousins. So I really don’t understand your perspective. Instead of wanting to get rid of a developing player who could get better over the next few years and was 1st or 2nd on the team in pressures the last 2 years, you think the grass just has to be greener on the other side which, could be true, but we could also draft a bust - likely under Bruce Allen - and then where are we?

I’ll tell ya where we’d be then, up the creek w/o a paddle and wanting to draft another OLB high 2 years after drafted that guy or spend a lot of $ on a free agent because the rookie Bruce had drafted crapped the bed. There no reason to get rid of a good pass rusher for pennies on the dollar - and I bet we would int even get a 3rd for Smith - that’s just fictional compensation like what fans used to say we’d get for trading Cooley in 2009, 2010 & 2011.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

A team that runs a 4-3 would probably get more out of him.  

Why? The positions are nearly identical. Smith and Kerrigan rush the passer against OT’s & TE’s 75 to 90% of the game.

Most 3/4 OLBs & 4-3 DEs are interchangeable. The only ones who aren’t are those 4-3 DEs who weigh 280-290 pounds like Jeremy Jarmon did. Those guys should have weight put on them and be moved to 3-4 DE, not do what we did with Jarmon and try to make him lost 15-20 pounds to be a 3-4 OLB.

Archived