aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

On 5/27/2024 at 4:36 PM, vike daddy said:

bill-w1.jpgb-walton2.webpb-walton3.jpg

Bill Walton died today. a very entertaining sports figure and a very interesting and unique person.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/obituaries/bill-walton-nba-hall-of-famer-basketball-dies-71-rcna154191

My maternal grandfather's name was Bill Walton (I am named for him). He didn't care at all about basketball until Bill Walton became dominant at UCLA.  He watched every UCLA game he could.  My grandfather died before Bill won his 1st NBA championship with the Trailblazers. Now, I am not a big NBA fan, but because of my grandfather,  I followed Walton's NBA career very closely.  

• Like 3

According to Swedish Media, Taylor Swift's three performances at Stockholm's Friends Arena Stadium “raked in a staggering €220M in revenue for the city”.

This amount is tenfold what Beyoncé brought in during her summer shows (€21M) and almost twenty times what Lady Gaga generated with her Chromatica tour (€12M).

The article also reveals that the total attendance for Taylor Swift's performances was “180K people, with each night reaching the venue's full capacity of 60K”. This achievement has allowed Swift to surpass the attendance record previously held by legend Bruce Springsteen since 2013 at the venue (169K).

KansasCityChiefsVictory,com

gawd, this woman can create economic impact wherever she goes....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

According to Swedish Media, Taylor Swift's three performances at Stockholm's Friends Arena Stadium “raked in a staggering €220M in revenue for the city”.

This amount is tenfold what Beyoncé brought in during her summer shows (€21M) and almost twenty times what Lady Gaga generated with her Chromatica tour (€12M).

The article also reveals that the total attendance for Taylor Swift's performances was “180K people, with each night reaching the venue's full capacity of 60K”. This achievement has allowed Swift to surpass the attendance record previously held by legend Bruce Springsteen since 2013 at the venue (169K).

KansasCityChiefsVictory,com

gawd, this woman can create economic impact wherever she goes....

While she's not the most talented singer ever (she is a pretty talented songwriter though), she has the combination of performance and personality that is unrivaled in music today. The fact that she is genuinely a good person has a lot to do with those totals. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

While she's not the most talented singer ever (she is a pretty talented songwriter though), she has the combination of performance and personality that is unrivaled in music today. The fact that she is genuinely a good person has a lot to do with those totals. 

She's been a great role model too...which has been incredibly good for business. She doesn't turn off her fans or, more importantly, their parents. The only people she's really managed to alienate are, for some weird reason, male football fans who ***checks notes*** don't want to see her for 2 minutes per football game. They were never her core demographic though, so she'll keep cashing those big checks. 

I never cared for her most of her music, but she's even got a couple of tunes I like. I've got a few friends who have been to this latest tour with their kids or significant others, and they gushed about the spectacle and how entertaining it was, even if they aren't big fans of the music.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swede700 said:

1972 NBA champion
1969 NBA Finals MVP
14x All-Star
12x All-NBA Team
5x All-Defensive Team
8x NBA champion as executive
traded for Shaq & drafted Kobe
Help build Warriors dynasty
Logo of the NBA
  • Like 3

Per a report from Variety, sources with information on the deal have confirmed that Sony is now in the process of acquiring Queen’s back catalogue, along with merchandising and other business opportunities. Per Variety, the only aspect of the band’s revenue not included in the deal will be from live performances.

Variety‘s sources claim the deal has been closed for $1.27 billion, making it the biggest acquisition of its kind ever.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/queen-sell-music-catalogue-to-sony-music-for-over-1billion-3767084?

pretty decent pension.

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Per a report from Variety, sources with information on the deal have confirmed that Sony is now in the process of acquiring Queen’s back catalogue, along with merchandising and other business opportunities. Per Variety, the only aspect of the band’s revenue not included in the deal will be from live performances.

Variety‘s sources claim the deal has been closed for $1.27 billion, making it the biggest acquisition of its kind ever.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/queen-sell-music-catalogue-to-sony-music-for-over-1billion-3767084?

pretty decent pension.

Just what we need, another giant corporation swallowing up the music of a legendary artist.  While I don't blame the remaining members of Queen because that's a lot of money, it's a sad state of affairs that they have to do that.  I think it's that type of thing which has led to the lawsuit between Daryl Hall and John Oates. 

Edited by swede700

27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Just what we need, another giant corporation swallowing up the music of a legendary artist.  While I don't blame the remaining members of Queen because that's a lot of money, it's a sad state of affairs that they have to do that.  I think it's that type of thing which has led to the lawsuit between Daryl Hall and John Oates. 

Bob Dylan recently did this too. They are probably getting much more money now than they would over the rest of their lifetimes. It also makes a lot of sense for estate planning. Much easier to give descendants a lump sum instead of forcing them to manage contracts, royalties, etc..  

• Like 3