aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say underrated, it's just that his career ended the year before ESPN started...and that's why he's not talked about that much.  It's not like people talk all that much about Johnny Unitas or Otto Graham either. 

If you want to talk about the greatness of Graham, Unitas, Tarkenton and other pre-ESPN quarterbacks, I'd be happy to engage you whippersnappers!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say underrated, it's just that his career ended the year before ESPN started...and that's why he's not talked about that much.  It's not like people talk all that much about Johnny Unitas or Otto Graham either. 

@vike daddytalks about how he mentored Otto Graham when he was a second grader and VD was a young pup in his early fifties. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

That's true I guess, but to me, those guys were in the pre-Super Bowl era, so they are kind of prehistoric.  LOL.  At least Tarkenton played in the Super Bowl era, and it just seems like he should be remembered more for his accomplishments than he is. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

just seems like he should be remembered more for his accomplishments than he is. 

that's very true, but it's also true Tark had (and still does have) an arrogant, abrasive attitude that rubbed many people the wrong way. so it's tougher for some to think of him "fondly."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

that's very true, but it's also true Tark had (and still does have) an arrogant, abrasive attitude that rubbed many people the wrong way. so it's tougher for some to think of him "fondly."

Funny...I became a Vikings fan because of Joe Kapp.  I wonder if I would've if Tarkenton had been the QB.  Maybe I would have been like ALL my friends pulling for Washington and Sonny Jorgensen?  

Kapp wasn't arrogant...but he was combative...in a wonderful kind of way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

Funny...I became a Vikings fan because of Joe Kapp.  I wonder if I would've if Tarkenton had been the QB.  Maybe I would have been like ALL my friends pulling for Washington and Sonny Jorgensen?  

Kapp wasn't arrogant...but he was combative...in a wonderful kind of way!

He definitely was combative…

• Like 1

I just ran across a vintage Vikings gem out on the interwebs and figured if there was any group that would appreciate it, it would have to be you guys.  Unfortunately, it didn't end up the way Vikings fans would have wished, but it's still pretty cool to watch.  Super Bowl IV. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpAiqO7n70&t=1s

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cconocool said:

I didn't know where to put critiques of O'Connell, but

I feel like he ran into the scheme of running on 1st down, just to prove he ran during the drive. 

Well you couldn't be more wrong, according to this the Vikings were 32nd in 1st down run percentage last season and 31st in 2022.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-first-down-pct