aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

47 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I just found out at the start of this year I have a 403b and 401a savings plan. 

I don't remember setting up my savings plan like this.

Is it possible to combine these? I think I'd rather just have the 403b.

Any help? 

You should be able to roll those over to another qualified retirement plan when you leave your job.  Until then, your main choice is probably how much you want to contribute to your 403b.  Your answer to that will depend on how many years you want to work before retiring and to a lesser extent how many years you plan to be alive after retirement.   Many people go for something like 40 working years and around 15% savings. 

If you don't want to work that long increase your savings rate.  You may be able to get away with something like 10 working years and 75% savings. Only needing to work for 10 years sounds nice, but then you have to be content with whatever lifestyle you would have on 25% of your income.  That is the rub that keeps most people that aren't star football players working longer.  At a moderate income some go with 20 working years and 50% savings rate.

Also, I want to echo what Mr @vike daddy just said.  Everything I have said is very general guidelines.  You need someone that knows your specifics.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

don't take financial advice from cyber friends on the internet, talk to a professional. not us.

But if he takes your advice and talks to a professional, he'd be taking advice from cyber friends on the internet, right? :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Octopus is also very popular in South America. And it's delicious. I can absolutely understand why it's popular. 

Plus, they are smart. If allowed to reproduce unchecked, they might take over...

Unfortunately or fortunately, they have a very short lifespan, averaging 1-5 years. 

Fun fact:

This short lifespan is a consequence of a reproductive strategy known as semelparity, meaning that octopuses breed only once in their lifetime and die shortly thereafter.

So, unless they get this semelparity thing figured out, they are no threat to take over. 

• Like 2

here's my favorite octopus story, it's from the Seattle Aquarium...

years ago the Aquarium created an indoor artificial tide pool. if you don't know what that is or the biology of how it works, well, look it up. but basically tide pools exist in rocky, semi-flat enclaves at the edge of the ocean and have waves continually crashing over them, and receeding to return hours later. an enormous amount of species thrive in tide pools, mostly sticking themselves to the rocky surfaces.

the Seattle Aquarium tide pool was a big hit, very popular with the tourists and locals, as pumps created an artificial 24 hour cycle of waves crashing over their display. so popular in that the Aquarium staff noticed aquatic critters disappearing regularly. thinking it was the patrons stealing them, they installed video cameras aimed at the pool. (this was back in the days when video cameras were on the new side...)

what the playbacks showed was at night when the facility was closed down, a neighboring octopus would climb out of his tank, slither wetly across the floor, climb up in to the tidepool, and have himself a buffet table of goodies. then he'd slither back in to his tank when full.

they built him a different type of tank, and man oh man was he mad.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 4