aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

On 8/14/2023 at 12:02 AM, vike daddy said:

we should each talk about our dads here...

While encouraging others to share their dad stories wasn't my intent, I think your idea is great.  I know I was raised with a dad who was present in my life with quality, rather than quantity (as he worked long hours). When he was with me...he was WITH me.  I worry that to many boys aren't given enough undivided attention from their dads or father figures.  I don't see dads playing catch, or kicking a soccer ball around with their boys (or girls for that matter.)  I worry that more and more boys are going through their childhood without positive male role models. It's true across political, ethnic, and socioeconomic demographics. I think we are seeing the impact on society in many of the problems we are facing.  If young people could be influenced by male role models to live into principles like integrity, respect and kindness, I believe our society would be able to function a little better.  So, let's hear those stories of how you were influenced by your dad/male role models!!

Great idea Vike Daddy!

• Like 3

This is really only pertinent to me since I live in a suburb, but if they're going to do it, build it downtown so people can take the streetcar or a bus there.  To get to Kauffman now (or Arrowhead for that matter), you have to drive, there's no alternative.  Of course, that would also open up Arrowhead for more parking (if you've been there, you know it's needed) and tailgating.   

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2023 at 5:18 PM, JDBrocks said:

Bourbon and Beyond?! We almost got tickets. It was between that or Lisbon/Azores after Christmas.

I just got back from the festival yesterday. It was absolutely amazing. All of the acts were great, but everything was so well run as well. I camped there for five nights. The campgrounds were organized, quiet, safe, and easy to get around. All of the shows went off without a hitch and on time. It was just an overall superb experience. If you get the chance to go next year, I would highly recommend it. 

I was basically right in front for the Killers, Billy Strings and the Avett Brothers. I was able to be quite close for pretty much any act I wanted to see. The only exception was for Bruno Mars. The place was packed to the hilt for that and people were camped out all day to be close to the stage. I still had a great viewing point and he put on one of the best shows I’ve seen.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Is it just me, or are the mobile ads getting oppressive lately? I think ~35% of the screen real estate is ads when I first load the site on mobile web this week.

I always get the drop down ad at the top of the screen that covers up the notifications. Kind of annoying. But as long as I get to banter with you rapscallions, I guess I can put up with it...for now...

• Like 2

Yes, he's always been over the top and isn't exactly the greatest "story-teller" when it comes to explaining the plays as they go, but he certainly is the one people identify with when discussing the Vikings radio announcers throughout history.

I'm not sure there is another one in their history that is truly identifiable, as the only other identifiable names were mainly Twins' broadcasters (Ray Christiansen and Ray Scott). 

It was sad hearing @sparkyjoe1 talk about his dad's glioblastoma.  I hate to think about this, but it's possible we may have lost another one from Valhalla to this terrible disease. 

Has anyone talked to @TENINCH or heard from his family?  He was suffering from glioblastoma, too.  We were friends on Facebook and his account there suddenly disappeared a while back and I haven't been able to contact him.  He was a great guy, and a good contributor to the Vikings Forum here for many years.  It has been well past the two years time that his doctor originally gave him.  :( 

If everybody has a chance, maybe remember him in your prayers tonight. 

Rest in peace, TENINCH.  I hope you have great seats up in heaven to watch from above when the Vikings finally win that first Super Bowl.

• Like 5