aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Team USA crashes out of Women's World Cup as Sweden wins on penalties

yoooo hooo, @Heimdallr....

why are they called penalty kicks, when they're more like free kicks? or overtime kicks?

Because if they occur during regular time or extra time, it is because there has been a penalty. Same spot. 

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

say what?

each team got multiple kicks, like a shootout. so were there multiple penalties?

No. They are taken from the same spot as a penalty kick during regular/extra time would be. So they are called penalty kicks. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

why are they called penalty kicks, when they're more like free kicks? or overtime kicks?

At the end of a knockout game if it is tied, you go to a shootout just like in hockey. Each team shoots from  the penalty mark and it is best out of 5 (and then best of 1 if still tied after 5 kicks each).

Technically the shootout is called "kicks from the penalty mark" (as defined in the FIFA rulebook), but literally everyone just calls them "penalty kicks"

Edited by Heimdallr
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

At the end of a knockout game if it is tied, you go to a shootout just like in hockey. Each team shoots from  the penalty mark and it is best out of 5 (and then best of 1 if still tied after 5 kicks each).

Technically the shootout is called "kicks from the penalty mark" (as defined in the FIFA rulebook), but literally everyone just calls them "penalty kicks"

see? now that's a proper explanation.

• Like 1

It has been 10 years and one month since my father died at the age of 88.  I was very fortunate to have him as a role model and influencer on my life.  He wasn't perfect, but he lived his life always demonstrating integrity and dignity.  He wasn't famous or rich.  He was a WW II veteran serving aboard an US Navy LST in the Pacific theatre.  After the war, he used the GI Bill benefits to attend the College of William and Mary, graduating in three years.  As a child of a farmer/carpenter, he was the first in his family to go to college.  

For 35 years, he worked for the Virginia Department of Corrections.  One of his last responsibilities was to manage the states implementation of capital punishment.  I was a smart aleck college student during his time overseeing the process of putting inmates to death.  I was home on break during a time when he was overseeing several executions.  I was (and am) against capital punishment...and dad and I got into a debate about the subject.  During the discussion he said that he felt his role was to make sure the process was carried out with as much dignity as possible.  He would be one of the last persons to speak with the condemned man before he was taken into the place of execution.  He said he always tried to remember that the man was a man...a human being...and worthy of being treated with dignity and kindness in the last moments of his life.  I never respected my father more than when he taught me about how to live with great integrity!

You may be wondering why I am writing about this in a football forum.  It will begin, I hope, to make sense as you continue to read.

This morning, with time on my hands, I watched the documentary "Armstrong," about the first person to step on the moon, Neil Armstrong.  I was eight years old, a new Viking fan, when Armstrong took that "small step/giant leap" in 1969.  He was one of my heroes and someone for an 8 year old boy to admire.  However, it's what he did with the rest of his life that makes him a role model for me even today, almost 11 years following his death.  He lived with humility, dignity and integrity. Never seeking the limelight, even though he was thrust into it.  He responded to the pressure of being "the first" with a quiet integrity and humility...ready to praise the whole NASA team for the Apollo 11 success.

I believe yesterday was Alan Page's birthday.  He, too, was a boyhood hero of mine.  He played defensive tackle with determination, intelligence and ferocity.  He was the first defensive player to win league MVP, and he was a part of the greatest defensive line in the history of the game (but, I may be slightly biased).  I had a poster of him and his fellow members of the defensive front on the wall of my boyhood room.  Yet, another picture of Page is emblematic of the reason he is not only a hero but one of my role models.  There is a picture of Alan Page arriving to a Viking training camp wearing Viking training shorts and t-shirt with a load of law books under his arm.  He had to study for a law exam during training camp!  Off the field, and after football, Page became widely known and respected for his work as an attorney, a judge on the Minnesota state supreme court, and as a philanthropist champion for educational opportunities for minority children.  He accomplished all of this with personal dignity and integrity, treating everyone with respect.

I am, again, fortunate to have these men as not just heroes, but more importantly has role models.  They taught me that treating others with respect and kindness is not a weakness but a strength.  They showed me that it is possible for men like me to try to live with integrity, dignity and humility...although, I will never likely make it to the level that Armstrong, Page and my Dad! 

My challenge to you, my Viking Brothers, is to attempt to live with the values and priorities of integrity, dignity and respect, because you never know what 8 year old is watching you and looking up to you and wanting to be like you. 

• Like 9

On 8/8/2023 at 1:26 PM, Captain Relax said:

It has been 10 years and one month since my father died at the age of 88.  I was very fortunate to have him as a role model and influencer on my life.  He wasn't perfect, but he lived his life always demonstrating integrity and dignity.  He wasn't famous or rich.  He was a WW II veteran serving aboard an US Navy LST in the Pacific theatre.  After the war, he used the GI Bill benefits to attend the College of William and Mary, graduating in three years.  As a child of a farmer/carpenter, he was the first in his family to go to college.  

For 35 years, he worked for the Virginia Department of Corrections.  One of his last responsibilities was to manage the states implementation of capital punishment.  I was a smart aleck college student during his time overseeing the process of putting inmates to death.  I was home on break during a time when he was overseeing several executions.  I was (and am) against capital punishment...and dad and I got into a debate about the subject.  During the discussion he said that he felt his role was to make sure the process was carried out with as much dignity as possible.  He would be one of the last persons to speak with the condemned man before he was taken into the place of execution.  He said he always tried to remember that the man was a man...a human being...and worthy of being treated with dignity and kindness in the last moments of his life.  I never respected my father more than when he taught me about how to live with great integrity!

You may be wondering why I am writing about this in a football forum.  It will begin, I hope, to make sense as you continue to read.

This morning, with time on my hands, I watched the documentary "Armstrong," about the first person to step on the moon, Neil Armstrong.  I was eight years old, a new Viking fan, when Armstrong took that "small step/giant leap" in 1969.  He was one of my heroes and someone for an 8 year old boy to admire.  However, it's what he did with the rest of his life that makes him a role model for me even today, almost 11 years following his death.  He lived with humility, dignity and integrity. Never seeking the limelight, even though he was thrust into it.  He responded to the pressure of being "the first" with a quiet integrity and humility...ready to praise the whole NASA team for the Apollo 11 success.

I believe yesterday was Alan Page's birthday.  He, too, was a boyhood hero of mine.  He played defensive tackle with determination, intelligence and ferocity.  He was the first defensive player to win league MVP, and he was a part of the greatest defensive line in the history of the game (but, I may be slightly biased).  I had a poster of him and his fellow members of the defensive front on the wall of my boyhood room.  Yet, another picture of Page is emblematic of the reason he is not only a hero but one of my role models.  There is a picture of Alan Page arriving to a Viking training camp wearing Viking training shorts and t-shirt with a load of law books under his arm.  He had to study for a law exam during training camp!  Off the field, and after football, Page became widely known and respected for his work as an attorney, a judge on the Minnesota state supreme court, and as a philanthropist champion for educational opportunities for minority children.  He accomplished all of this with personal dignity and integrity, treating everyone with respect.

I am, again, fortunate to have these men as not just heroes, but more importantly has role models.  They taught me that treating others with respect and kindness is not a weakness but a strength.  They showed me that it is possible for men like me to try to live with integrity, dignity and humility...although, I will never likely make it to the level that Armstrong, Page and my Dad! 

My challenge to you, my Viking Brothers, is to attempt to live with the values and priorities of integrity, dignity and respect, because you never know what 8 year old is watching you and looking up to you and wanting to be like you. 

Bravo 👏 

On 8/8/2023 at 2:26 PM, Captain Relax said:

Your dad was a cool guy and I'm glad he played an integral role in your life. I bet he'd be very proud of you!

• Like 3

Well, my dad retired from teaching high school advanced sciences recently (last year was his first year off). Unfortunately,  he was diagnosed with Glioblastmoa (an aggressive, treatment resistant brain cancer) about a month ago and it's progressing pretty quickly. He coached basketball, track, and cross country and was a back judge for high school football in the most recent school year. He loves fishing, hunting, and for some crazy reason cutting and splitting wood. He was a tireless worker. If he makes it to Christmas, he and my mom will have been married 50 years. It's hard seeing your hero deteriorate so quickly. This spring, he was still riding his bike 100 miles a week, and now he needs a walker. Cancer sucks. The blessing in all of this, though, is that he's had time to get things in order to make sure my mom is taken care of and we've all been able to spend time together, when normally we wouldn't have. My parents live up in Hibbing (northern Minnesota) and I live in the cities, so I've been going up to visit on the weekends. For my family, right now, every day really is a blessing. Tell your dads you love them and share with them the impact they've had on you! My dad is the reason I became a Vikings fan and has been a big influence in my life. He's still my hero.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

Well, my dad retired from teaching high school advanced sciences recently (last year was his first year off). Unfortunately,  he was diagnosed with Glioblastmoa (an aggressive, treatment resistant brain cancer) about a month ago and it's progressing pretty quickly. He coached basketball, track, and cross country and was a back judge for high school football in the most recent school year. He loves fishing, hunting, and for some crazy reason cutting and splitting wood. He was a tireless worker. If he makes it to Christmas, he and my mom will have been married 50 years. It's hard seeing your hero deteriorate so quickly. This spring, he was still riding his bike 100 miles a week, and now he needs a walker. Cancer sucks. The blessing in all of this, though, is that he's had time to get things in order to make sure my mom is taken care of and we've all been able to spend time together, when normally we wouldn't have. My parents live up in Hibbing (northern Minnesota) and I live in the cities, so I've been going up to visit on the weekends. For my family, right now, every day really is a blessing. Tell your dads you love them and share with them the impact they've had on you! My dad is the reason I became a Vikings fan and has been a big influence in my life. He's still my hero.

I am sorry to hear about your dad and glioblastoma. Cancer does suck, indeed.  It sounds like you are aware how precious time is now for you and your family. Use it well.  You won't regret it.  Blessing and comfort is what I pray for you and your dad.

Edited by Captain Relax
  • Like 5