aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

On 1/22/2024 at 10:09 PM, SemperFeist said:

Where on the planet are octopus enough of a staple that 2 billion are being eaten? 

A staple in the mediterranean cuisine as well. Cooked Octopus recently as part of a spanish cooking course.

Please don't ban me now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I'm certainly no expert on the NHL right now (since I've been away from it for so long now), isn't this kind of ridiculous when the Coyotes have had such problems?

Yeah. I'd think they'd just relocate the Coyotes instead of expanding. 

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I can respect Buck a bit knowing that he has admitted his call was overly dramatic.

I wish Buck didn't show his biases as much given he does national broadcasts.   He might be better suited for team broadcasts, but they don't do team TV broadcasts of NFL games. I doubt he would want to leave the NFL TV broadcasts just to do something for which he would be better suited such as radio or college football.

18 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Thanks for sharing.  I can respect Buck a bit knowing that he has admitted his call was overly dramatic.

I wish Buck didn't show his biases as much given he does national broadcasts.   He might be better suited for team broadcasts, but they don't do team TV broadcasts of NFL games. I doubt he would want to leave the NFL TV broadcasts just to do something for which he would be better suited such as radio or college football.

His first love is baseball.  His dad, the remarkable Jack Buck, left a highly paid position as a play by play NFL guy and returned to being the radio voice of the St. Louis Cardinals. He said it was the easiest decision he ever made...even though it meant making less money.

I suspect Joe has made a lot of money as lead network play by play guy.  His next job will be as a team network baseball play by play. Probably the Cardinals.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 4:02 PM, vike daddy said:

Iss keine Tintenfische!

To be nitpicky, "Tintenfisch" (inkfish if you translate it literally) describes the biological class, which includes cuttlefish and squid. "Krake" would be the German word for octopus, although mostly we just say "Oktopus" now. So many beautiful old German words being forgotten...

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Happy 84th Birthday to one of the all-time greats!

https://x.com/Fran_Tarkenton/status/1754547205522763963?s=20

he definitely was. retiring while holding every major NFL passing record, which continued to stand for 15 years+ until Marino broke them. then by Favre, Manning, Brees, Brady, etc. that's elite company.

and the majority of Tark's career was spent in 14 game seasons.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

he definitely was. retiring while holding every major NFL passing record, which continued to stand for 15 years+ until Marino broke them. then by Favre, Manning, Brees, Brady, etc. that's elite company.

and the majority of Tark's career was spent in 14 game seasons.

He is very underrated on this site and in the sports media in general. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

He is very underrated on this site and in the sports media in general. 

I wouldn't necessarily say underrated, it's just that his career ended the year before ESPN started...and that's why he's not talked about that much.  It's not like people talk all that much about Johnny Unitas or Otto Graham either. 

• Like 1