Around the League - Training Camp

flyingmonkey30

My sports news app The Score says Anthony Barr could be traded, likely not released, but traded. His cap number isnt commeserate with his production and role on a team that appears ready to fork over hefty dough to Cousins.

This is one dream trade I would indeed pull the trigger on. This FO did want him in the draft and had their eyes on him, and he provides an all around skill set that could easily translate to on field production on this type of scheme.

He can play a nickel rusher with hjs hand in the dirt, but his speed and athleticism would be a nice fit at any of the LB spots. He has trained in coverage as well, and while not a great cover option, he has improved enough to drop back into a zone on this unit and be on par with what we had Hitch doing.

The difference is his speed and versatility. Hitch was fierce but not the sideline to sideline sprinter Barr has been, and Barr can provide a boost on the blitz and as a situational rush guy that Hitch never was good at. While Barr will never be the warrior, the banger, that Hitch was, he would be a really good addition to the unit. Id give up a third for him easily, but not much more. Preferably a fourth.

Just now, WizardHawk said:

Joe Thomas deserved better. 

He did.

The best part about Thomas was his loyalty to a fan base on a team that was destined for failure year in and year out.

I will always say Thomas was on the overrated side (a speedy rusher always gave him trouble, while not surrendering sacks he did give up a lot of pressure to them due to his rigid hip play) and really left something lacking when finishing a run block...he was pure technique perfection. Footwork was bar none tops for a decade. His extension was always timed perfectly. And he was tough as nails, smart as can be, and if Im a young coach building a staff Im looking no where else for a new OL coach. 

Thomas was and always will be one of the great blockers to ever lace them up

Archived