Around the League - Training Camp

flyingmonkey30

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I don’t buy this. I think QBs go 1, 2, and 3 now. Guess we’ll see

That’s the ideal situation for Cleveland. It would be a huge gamble with the Giants having a such a massive void at RB, though. They’d be gift wrapping the best player in the draft to them.

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Lmao. The Jones are on vacation. Even if you let Will and Redball run things, SJ and Jerry are so active, that how you leave at the start of FA is mind blowing. 

Single most important part of the season besides SB week and they pull this crap.

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Single most important part of the season besides SB week and they pull this crap.

I'd imagine many fans would be happy Jerry can't meddle. 

I, for one, dislike it greatly. You make your presence know. Especially during the start of the league year. 

5 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

That’s the ideal situation for Cleveland. It would be a huge gamble with the Giants having a such a massive void at RB, though. They’d be gift wrapping the best player in the draft to them.

The Giants have a massive void almost everywhere on offense, besides their overpaid LT and nutjob WR on an expiring contract. If it were me I’d take the highest QB at 2 and let him sit behind Eli for a year while you try and rebuild that OL. I’m not scared of Barkley at all on that team until they fix their quarterback and line play.

I just don’t see how you can make this trade without virtual certainty over how the first two picks will go. You can’t just value 2-3 of the QBs evenly, there has to be a specific player in mind. Perhaps that certainty involves Barkley, but it would seem to me that the Giants would trade down now with Denver or Buffalo should they truly not want a QB

If the Colts did release Hankins try and make an offer he's a lot better than Richard Ash with the Giants he really didn't get to shine with all the depth the Giants had on their defensive line and what did the Colts really have to compliment his play. At least the Cowboy's have Lawrence, Irving, Collins and Taco to compliment his game, go hard on Mike Pouncey he's a real good option @ LG  then look for that swing tackle in the draft the cupboards a little bare with Chaz Green the only (OG/OT) left beside Kadeem Edwards and Jaron Jones on practice squad. Wide receiver options Brandon Coleman (New Orleans) 25yrs. old and Jordan Matthews (Buffalo) 25yrs.old 2 big bodied guys that run good routes and can catch the ball, unlike  Dez .

Hankins is not someone who will draw interest from Dallas. 

1. He's a DT. They are poisonous. 
2. The 2013 leaked draft board...he's no where to be found. 

The Jones going on vacation at this time of year shows how little they care about free agency.

Why would anyone want to over pay players when good managed teams build in the draft and add small pieces to the puzzle just like New England has done all those years. Just because Suh was a beast coming out of college doesn't mean a team needs to over pay for his services now. It just handcuffs a team down the road to resign their own talented players . I see the Cowboys either drafting an (OG/OT) @ 19TH Isiah Wynn, Will Hernandez or Kolton Miller and cheaply adding back up depth in free agency. Hankins could be a cheap option to be a 1-tech and let Collins move back to his 3-tech spot and freeing up space so the defensive ends can get to the QB. Cowboy fans can hate the way Stephen Jones is going about free agency the last few years but when you get burned for 50 mil. on a CB that never lived up to that value you can see that sometimes free agency is over rated.

12 minutes ago, cowboysdreamer said:

Why would anyone want to over pay players when good managed teams build in the draft and add small pieces to the puzzle just like New England has done all those years. Just because Suh was a beast coming out of college doesn't mean a team needs to over pay for his services now. It just handcuffs a team down the road to resign their own talented players . I see the Cowboys either drafting an (OG/OT) @ 19TH Isiah Wynn, Will Hernandez or Kolton Miller and cheaply adding back up depth in free agency. Hankins could be a cheap option to be a 1-tech and let Collins move back to his 3-tech spot and freeing up space so the defensive ends can get to the QB. Cowboy fans can hate the way Stephen Jones is going about free agency the last few years but when you get burned for 50 mil. on a CB that never lived up to that value you can see that sometimes free agency is over rated.

These are nice thoughts, but "adding cheap back up depth in free agency" last year got you like four dudes (Carroll, Paea, Moore, Blanton) that didn't last until midseason and one (Bell) who only lasted the year because your other option at swing tackle who you spent a third round pick on looked like he had no idea what sport he was playing.

The Patriots aren't a pure draft and develop team. They always have the flexibility to get a $5-6M/year DE like Sheard or Clayborn or a $12M CB like Revis or Gilmore if they want to because they're the best cap-managed team in the sport. We don't because we're not.

In an ideal world, our team would be able to draft well enough to not use free agency to find real players. But if even the Packers, the ultimate "draft and develop" team, have concluded that that's not how the modern game is played, then we have a right to skepticism. If the Garrett/McClay/Stephen approach was so much smarter than the aggressive signings we made when Parcells and Wade were here... then why do we have the same amount of playoff wins in 7.5 years of Garrett as we did with 7.5 of Parcells and Wade?

People can hate on Carr and his contract all they want, but the guy pretty much never so much as missed a snap. Paying Dez 50% more over the same 5 years to miss games and not make big plays is a substantially worse allocation of cap resources- availability is the best ability. But no one can see that because Dez is a homebred Cowboy and we love him for that. And no one can see the ineptitude of the Cowboys' plan because it seems so wholesome.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

These are nice thoughts, but "adding cheap back up depth in free agency" last year got you like four dudes (Carroll, Paea, Moore, Blanton) that didn't last until midseason and one (Bell) who only lasted the year because your other option at swing tackle who you spent a third round pick on looked like he had no idea what sport he was playing.

The Patriots aren't a pure draft and develop team. They always have the flexibility to get a $5-6M/year DE like Sheard or Clayborn or a $12M CB like Revis or Gilmore if they want to because they're the best cap-managed team in the sport. We don't because we're not.

In an ideal world, our team would be able to draft well enough to not use free agency to find real players. But if even the Packers, the ultimate "draft and develop" team, have concluded that that's not how the modern game is played, then we have a right to skepticism. If the Garrett/McClay/Stephen approach was so much smarter than the aggressive signings we made when Parcells and Wade were here... then why do we have the same amount of playoff wins in 7.5 years of Garrett as we did with 7.5 of Parcells and Wade?

People can hate on Carr and his contract all they want, but the guy pretty much never so much as missed a snap. Paying Dez 50% more over the same 5 years to miss games and not make big plays is a substantially worse allocation of cap resources- availability is the best ability. But no one can see that because Dez is a homebred Cowboy and we love him for that. And no one can see the ineptitude of the Cowboys' plan because it seems so wholesome.

Last year sucked but what about the cheap backups and depth guys the years before?

Mayowa Selvie Durant McClain Mincey Morris McFadden and couple others. great additions for cheap hokding a spot until we could upgrade.

The last FA signing to have been worth the big bucks was LaRoi Glover... and its not for lack if effort. Its bexause when you overpay its always going to disappont.

I’m not saying we need to go out and give Suh and Earl $80M guaranteed combined and sacrifice a 1st rounder for the rights to the latter. I’m saying you can’t use the Patriots as an example of a team that ignores free agency entirely to prioritize retaining their homegrown talent. They operate almost exactly opposite to that. They always have the flex to go out and get solid veterans because they know how to value and when to cut bait on players. This regime lacks that somewhat, to say the least.

4 hours ago, matt79511 said:

The Giants have a massive void almost everywhere on offense, besides their overpaid LT and nutjob WR on an expiring contract. If it were me I’d take the highest QB at 2 and let him sit behind Eli for a year while you try and rebuild that OL. I’m not scared of Barkley at all on that team until they fix their quarterback and line play.

I just don’t see how you can make this trade without virtual certainty over how the first two picks will go. You can’t just value 2-3 of the QBs evenly, there has to be a specific player in mind. Perhaps that certainty involves Barkley, but it would seem to me that the Giants would trade down now with Denver or Buffalo should they truly not want a QB

No matter which route the Giants go, itll be considered the dumb move. Barkley and ride out Eli and give hima  chance to win one more,  they are stupid and ignoring the future. Draft a QB and they are giving up on Eli and that defense too soon. Trade back and youre giving up the QB they need/RB they need. There is no winning with their situation. Not in a fans or medias eyes. Not until whatever they do pans out and they win.

Er and to add to the Jets..

this proves they rank all of the top QBs as future success stories and are happy with any of the three. And in the worst case scenario, left with a choice between their third favorite QB, the best defensive lineman available after losing several top DLs over the last two seasons, and Barkley. Not a bad choice to be left making.

Archived