Around the League - Training Camp

flyingmonkey30

Sean Lee responded and basically said he loves Dez but they did butt heads because he, along with a lot of others on the team, wanted Dez to hold himself accountable.

Guys on the local radio here were talking about that too. They said Dez had an excuse for everything.

I did think it was funny when coaches mentioned Sean Lee when listing the guys who would now step into leadership roles without Witten and Dez.

I was like, isn't he already a leader?

I think JG specifically mentioned Zeke, Dak, and... Sean Lee... as people who would step into leadership roles.

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I love Dez and all. But I think he way overreacted.

Jones mentioned both Dez and Witten as having too much influence for a young Dak. Does anyone really disagree with that?

No.

Argument for who is more important though. With 2016 Zeke and OL. With Dez and Witten. Dak won RoTY. But 2017 Dak without Zeke and OL....?

Didn't look horrible, all of the time.

5 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Is dez completely done? What should I expect from him?

He'd still be on the Cowboys if team's offense was even remotely creative and Dak didn't regress as much as he did throwing the football. He's not washed up by any means at all was massively let down by his situation. At the very least any team who picks him up is getting a very dangerous weapon, even if they don't want to label him as their #1. 

13 hours ago, DaBoys said:

His disappointing 2017 season was still top 15 imo

Yeah I call BS on this.

24th in Rec Yards

28th in Rec Yards

26th in TDs

Then in advanced metrics, he might be slightly worse than those raw stats.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

I know he had some plays that Dak missed him but that happens in a season. It’s not just a Dak-Dez issue.

4 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Yeah I call BS on this.

24th in Rec Yards

28th in Rec Yards

26th in TDs

Then in advanced metrics, he might be slightly worse than those raw stats.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

I know he had some plays that Dak missed him but that happens in a season. It’s not just a Dak-Dez issue.

Take out all the TEs...and look at his stats among WRs only.

Because that's all that really matters when comparing him to the league average. It improves his status a little bit. And the very least cements him top 25, with an valid argument for top 20. He was top 15 imo with a poor situation/ scheme, and developing QB who wins with his legs.

I mean he just wasn’t as good last year. He wasn’t top 15. 

He struggled with man and getting separation off the press.

Guys with better seasons last year not in any order:

Brown

Hopkins

Allen

Baldwin

Tate

Landry

Julio

Thomas

Thielen

Hill

Green

Hopkins

DT

Adams

Evans

Cooks

Diggs

JuJu

Marvin Jones

I’d put him around here but you could make arguments for some other people who had bad QB situations too like Robby Anderson, Marquise Goodwin, Devin Funchess. 

4 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

I love dez but he didn’t perform well, Dak didn’t perform well, the offensive scheming didn’t do well. No one did their part last year. 

He certainly did himself no favors with the drops. But I've never seen that from him before, have you? I mean, before last season you could argue Dez's hands and ability to catch contested throws were some of the best all time. I don't think he fell off that fast. But if he goes to the Browns it'll be hard for him to prove me right.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

He certainly did himself no favors with the drops. But I've never seen that from him before, have you? I mean, before last season you could argue Dez's hands and ability to catch contested throws were some of the best all time. I don't think he fell off that fast. But if he goes to the Browns it'll be hard for him to prove me right.

I've definitely seen Dez have issues with drops. Not as bad as they were last year but still. I think he has the potential to be a top 15 WR but I wouldn't bet on it. 

It just depends on the situation. A team like New Orleans, New England, or GB, gives him a better shot than Dallas, Cleveland, or some other team that has a charlie check down QB like Dak/Tyrod Taylor. 

Archived