Around the League - Training Camp

flyingmonkey30

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Agree, but assuming the price is going to be what I think it will ($20m+/yr), it's not a slam dunk decision. A lot working in Dallas' favor though. They are in good shape cap wise.

How do you let him walk? I understand the cap implications if he wants $20m+ but take him off our d-line and what do we have?

Lots of potential and unknowns. 

31 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

How do you let him walk? I understand the cap implications if he wants $20m+ but take him off our d-line and what do we have?

Lots of potential and unknowns. 

I agree. He'd be expensive but he's one of the best in the league at a rare, valuable trait. We've gone through a lot of guys before finding someone as good as him. And he's still only 26. Sign him to a five or six year deal with potential outs after the first three years, and continue to build that defensive line.

There has to be a reason that none of Mack, Donald, Clowney, and Lawrence have deals yet, you know? All want to be the first $20M/yr defensive player. We're just lucky to have the guy who seems happiest to play on the tag for this year.

'I think our team has buyer's remorse on long term money for defensive linemen. It's not a position that always lends itself to longevity, though D-Law's technical prowess could help him on that front. To me it's kind of a position where dudes get paid and then all of a sudden that first step is gone and they're always hurt- not necessarily a coincidence.

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Is dez completely done? What should I expect from him?

Some focus drops and he doesn't have the speed, quickness, or route precision to separate, but he can still make spectacular plays. Not as tough to bring down after the catch as he used to be, but he's still better than the average WR in that regard. I actually like the fit with Gordon on the outside to stretch the field and Landry in the slot.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Is dez completely done? What should I expect from him?

He was two dropped bombs(see 2nd giants game) away from 1,000 yards receiving with one of the worst passing yardage teams/QB/systems in the league. He is still who he was in 2014 imo, and will be the best WR in that division next to AB. He is on par with AJ Green. Compare the stats. Do it. Even last year. Obviously they are different receivers but Dez is better in the red zone.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Some focus drops and he doesn't have the speed, quickness, or route precision to separate, but he can still make spectacular plays. Not as tough to bring down after the catch as he used to be, but he's still better than the average WR in that regard. I actually like the fit with Gordon on the outside to stretch the field and Landry in the slot.

Exhibit A:

this is last year... the DB completely wiffing is Patrick Peterson.

Dez has never really been great at getting separation.  His success depends on having an accurate quarterback who’s willing to target him even when he’s not wide open. Dez’s strength is the contested catch.

He and Romo also used to be great at the the back shoulder throw, but he never developed that with Dak. 

5 minutes ago, Runaway Jim said:

Dez has never really been great at getting separation.  His success depends on having an accurate quarterback who’s willing to target him even when he’s not wide open. Dez’s strength is the contested catch.

He and Romo also used to be great at the the back shoulder throw, but he never developed that with Dak. 

So he should be able to work well with tyrod?

20 minutes ago, ACO said:

Dez going off on twitter right now. He ranting about how Sean Lee is the mastermind to oust him. Whew. 

Dez Bryant calls Jerry Jones “clueless”, nicknames Sean Lee “Snake Lee,” and says Cowboys playcalling was “garbage” last season in Twitter rant

Jerry Jones Clueless? Check

Play calling garbage last year? Double Check. 

Sean Lee a snake? First negative thing I've ever heard about him aside from his injury history. But do tell... 

Archived