Fixing the ILB...

MDSteeler1971

On 2/10/2018 at 10:37 AM, warfelg said:

Todd Davis.  I"m telling you.  Keep an eye on him.

I like this move - or Zach Brown as your flow to the ball type LB. Remember there's more than one solution to this problem. You could just play 4-3 base defense and have a safety play LB in the nickel. 

Watt - Heyward - Hargrave - Tuitt

16 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

speed is the key at ILB for us at defense, our defense was centered around Shazier's obscene speed and without that the d started to fall apart esp against the run, because Shazier was so good at if not tackling, slowing down the man at least

I have been torn with this argument for some time. When we drafted Shazier, I actually preferred CJ Mosely because of his instincts and football IQ.  There is no doubt that you cannot simulate or make up for speed, but I have always preferred guys who were disciplined and technically sound over straight athletes.  Many fast LB's Kendricks, Shazier and Lee have incredible speed, but sometimes over-pursue, take bad angles making tackles, and rely on speed rather than fundamentally sound football technique. However, they also make huge impact plays as well that other LB's can't make because of their speed and athleticism.

I was against re-signing Timmons last year, but God how I wished that he was here early in the year, when I saw the struggles in the run defense.  Timmons adopted his game to become more of a thumper when we had Shazier and he was rarely fooled or out of position. He lost some of his speed from his youth and can't cover like he once did, but he certainly would lay the wood in the run defense and was still decent enough to drop into zone coverage without hurting us. Guys who can run between 4.35 - 4.55 at ILB are very impressive, but those guys that run 4.65 and have the IQ and quickness to read and react often make up for that speed in technique and football IQ. That is what I have always liked about former Penn State LB Paul Posluszney.  He cannot run with OLB's Smith or Jack, but his football IQ allows him to still be an extremely productive ILB past 32 years of age.

You bring up some excellent points, but this is something that I struggle with. We still had many problems with our run defense with Shazier, Williams, Bud and Watt.

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I have been torn with this argument for some time. When we drafted Shazier, I actually preferred CJ Mosely because of his instincts and football IQ.  There is no doubt that you cannot simulate or make up for speed, but I have always preferred guys who were disciplined and technically sound over straight athletes.  Many fast LB's Kendricks, Shazier and Lee have incredible speed, but sometimes over-pursue, take bad angles making tackles, and rely on speed rather than fundamentally sound football technique. However, they also make huge impact plays as well that other LB's can't make because of their speed and athleticism.

I was against re-signing Timmons last year, but God how I wished that he was here early in the year, when I saw the struggles in the run defense.  Timmons adopted his game to become more of a thumper when we had Shazier and he was rarely fooled or out of position. He lost some of his speed from his youth and can't cover like he once did, but he certainly would lay the wood in the run defense and was still decent enough to drop into zone coverage without hurting us. Guys who can run between 4.35 - 4.55 at ILB are very impressive, but those guys that run 4.65 and have the IQ and quickness to read and react often make up for that speed in technique and football IQ. That is what I have always liked about former Penn State LB Paul Posluszney.  He cannot run with OLB's Smith or Jack, but his football IQ allows him to still be an extremely productive ILB past 32 years of age.

You bring up some excellent points, but this is something that I struggle with. We still had many problems with our run defense with Shazier, Williams, Bud and Watt.

Cj Mosley might just be available next off-season 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Cj Mosley might just be available next off-season 

Maybe we can sign Timmons, draft an athlete like Fred Warner from BYU, then sign Mosley next year and ditch WIlliams and Timmons. Mosley and Warner should be a salty tandem of ILB's. I doubt we'll be able to afford Mosley, though. Bruh's gonna get PAAAAAAAAAID. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe we can sign Timmons, draft an athlete like Fred Warner from BYU, then sign Mosley next year and ditch WIlliams and Timmons. Mosley and Warner should be a salty tandem of ILB's. I doubt we'll be able to afford Mosley, though. Bruh's gonna get PAAAAAAAAAID. 

Truth. I like what I've seen from Warner. What is his realistic projection? Could we possibly land him AND Evans? Yes Evans is my favorite realistic prospect atm.

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Truth. I like what I've seen from Warner. What is his realistic projection? Could we possibly land him AND Evans? Yes Evans is my favorite realistic prospect atm.

I think it's entirely possible to get Warner in the 3rd. Maybe package some picks to move back into the 4th and take him? I'm not so sure Evans will be there when we pick at 28. I have a feeling he's going to skyrocket after the combine. he'll put up impressive numbers. 

I'd kind of like to grab Ronnie Harrison in the 1st, Josey Jewell in the 2nd, and try to sneak in and grab Warner in the 4th. Warner will need seasoning before he can be relied upon to play heavy snaps on defense. 

Before the Senior Bowl, I saw Warner a late round prospect.  He needs to get better at taking and getting off blocks, and being more physical.  I would love some veteran presence of Lawrence Timmons and Derrick Johnson.  Both are faster than our ILBs ? plus they’re both smart.

Archived