Fixing the ILB...

MDSteeler1971

Besides what we can get in the draft the FO definitely has to be looking at FAs. There have been a lot of people talking about these guys:

NaVorro Bowman, ILB, Raiders. Age: 30. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif
Bowman has a very checkered injury history, and he'd be a risky, long-term signing for that reason. However, he's an impactful player when healthy. Oakland's run defense improved by leaps and bounds after Bowman signed in mid-October. His injury history makes him scary to sign for a sizable contract...

Avery Williamson, ILB, Titans. Age: 26. star.gifstar.gifstar.gif
Williamson was a fifth-round pick in 2014, but he has evolved into a capable inside linebacker. He can stand to improve in coverage, but he's a dominant run-stuffer. This makes him very attractive after seeing our defense get run over by Jacksonville!

Demario Davis, ILB, Jets. Age: 29. star.gifstar.gifstar.gif
Davis had struggled for most of his career heading into 2017, so it was considered laughable when the Jets opted to start him at one of the linebacker spots. Davis had the last laugh, however, playing extremely well last year. Was this a fluke, or a sign of things to come? Perhaps Davis will have to sign a 1-year "prove it" deal so his next team can find out.

Gerald Hodges, ILB, Saints. Age: 27. star.gifstar.gif
A former fourth-round pick of the Vikings, Hodges carved out a role for himself in San Francisco's defense prior to 2017. Hodges played the run well and hasn't been a liability in coverage. He didn't see much action this past season for some reason. Could be a nice addition for a reasonable price...

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

yes.  More football smarts and more athletic.  We have Vince Williams.  I do not need another Vince Williams.

Yeah that's my knock on Vince Williams.  He is not as knowledgeable with the defense and not instinctive as I would like from a MLB. I would like to take dirty Red's hustle, instincts and knowledge and clone them with Shazier's natural speed and athletic ability to create the perfect ILB.

I dug up a couple other names to add to the list to discuss. What are your thoughts on these players?:

Jon Bostic 6'1 245 Indianapolis Colts  age 26 2017 Salary $690,000.00

Preston Brown ILB  6'1 250 Buffalo Bills age 25 2017 Salary $750,000.00

Christian Jones 6'3 245 Chicago Bears age 26 2017 Salary $1,500,000.00

Zach Brown 6'1 250 Washington Redskins age 28 2017 Salary $2,500.00.00

I love the Bills Preston Brown and the Redskins Zach Brown but they will probably be out of our price range.  They are two of the top free agents as they are most likely first or second day free agent signing who may command average salaries upwards of between $8 and $10 million per season.  The Bills have a solid, disciplined and well coached defense.  Zach was a very underrated star on the Redskins defense.

Jon Bostic is somewhat intriguing. He is a thumper.  He played 4-3 after being drafted by the Bears and then playing last year for the Colts. I have no idea of the money he is looking for but, we may be able to get him at a more reasonable rate. He has some experience and is able to play the run.  Current Bear Christian Jones has the size, tools and experience to help our defense.  He does not seems to be as high profile as many, so he may be more affordable as well.  I am still liking the idea of drafting a young player to develop and sign a veteran who can start immediately to improve our run defense. if we stay base 3-4 we have to draft or sign a true NG for that or at the least get a thicker DT for when we run nickel and try to let him spell Hargroves who teams have discovered can get blown off the ball in running situations playing NG.

We play a lot of Nickel. Teams will try to catch us in pass defense mode and gash us with runs. If we can add a few missing pieces  (DT/NG, ILB, FS/SS) we could conceivably go with two big DT's, Cam and Tuitt outside, two LB's, two CB' s and three safeties.  We then can use a safety as kind of an in the box MLB or old school monster back who can support the run and play the pass.

On 2/8/2018 at 12:01 PM, wwhickok said:

Preston Brown lacks the ability to play side line to side line, lacks speed. Inside the box he is an excellent tackler. But I also am not sure Buffalo let's him walk.

He would still be a nice upgrade to ILB.    He just doesnt offer much in terms of replacing Shazier's speed.

Honestly, what I think will end up happening is Timmons will be cut by Miami, the Steelers will resign him (he never wanted to leave) and we will draft an ILB in the first 3 rounds.   I dont particularly want Timmons back unless its for depth, but I wont be shocked if he is once again our starter next year.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He would still be a nice upgrade to ILB.    He just doesnt offer much in terms of replacing Shazier's speed.

Honestly, what I think will end up happening is Timmons will be cut by Miami, the Steelers will resign him (he never wanted to leave) and we will draft an ILB in the first 3 rounds.   I dont particularly want Timmons back unless its for depth, but I wont be shocked if he is once again our starter next year.

Yep, that’s my prediction as well.

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

Todd Davis.  I"m telling you.  Keep an eye on him.

I think he will get paid more than we can pay him.

Given our cap situation, Timmons + early draft pick is the most feasible situation that comes to mind.   Again, its not ideal, and by no means am I guaranteeing it, but it just makes too much sense.   Timmons will come cheap and they will probably look to replace Shazier in the draft.

13 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Would rather have Evans. He is a younger, potentially better Timmons

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Would rather have Evans. He is a younger, potentially better Timmons

We need two ILBs.

If Timmons is cut by Miami, I have almost no doubt we will sign him.  Then, they will likely draft one and our starting ILBs will be Timmons and a rookie (sharing time with Williams) 

Again, its not necessarily what I WANT, but its what I see happening.  

Archived