2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, pollino14 said:

Let’s not act like Kirk Cousins is a top 10 QB, he’s not. Is it a slight upgrade? Probably, but Keenum played pretty well last year.

This move by no means make them the overwhelming favorite in the NFC or the NFC North .

Exactly. This is nothing like when Peyton Manning hit Free Agency and went to Denver and yet people are trying to compare the 2. They got slightly better with that signing maybe more consistent at the position over the years not the games. Nothing more nothing less. That Sheldon Richardson signing would be more beneficial to their next step then the Cousins one does.

20 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

How does the dead money thing actually work?

From what I was reading there is like 9.3 million of dead cap ARI now has to eat up, so it saved them like 5 something million. How much is Mathieu getting paid out of that?

Dead cap is from the signing bonus. It counts against the team this year but the player got it when he signed the contract.

22 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

How does the dead money thing actually work?

From what I was reading there is like 9.3 million of dead cap ARI now has to eat up, so it saved them like 5 something million. How much is Mathieu getting paid out of that?

Without looking, it's likely that was his signing bonus money. Which he already was paid when he signed. Then again, every time I think I know how this works, I'm wrong. Unless Chili is correcting me:) hahaha

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm prepared at any moment to open Twitter and see he's signed with one of the dumpster fire NY franchises.

if he signed here I just pray I'm wearing the right pants at that moment.

You stole that pants thing from me. You SOB

I don't think Cousins was a bad signing, but it gets a little frustrating seeing people condescend when people suggest Cousins wasn't a great signing.  Cousins has been the starter in Washington for three years.  He hasn't missed a game.  He hasn't had a single digit interception season.  He hasn't had a 30 TD season.  2015 was his best season.  Chris Thompson, Pierre Garçon, Desean Jackson and Jordan Reed were on that team.  He also had Trent Williams as long as he was a starter AND Brandon Scherff, a fifth overall pick, playing guard and doing it well.

Cousins will still have good receiving options.  Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph and Dalvin Cook.  He will NOT have that elite level offensive line play.  That's gonna be huge. 

14 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

This so much.

Anyone saying Cousins isn't an upgrade over CASE F'ING KEENUM is wearing their rose-tinted glasses. Clear as day. 

Over multiple seasons... sure, but for a season? Maybe not. As discussed Cousins has only had one season like or better than Keenum’s past season.

I think when people look at the signing they see the inconsistency with Cousins and wonder if he can recapture the greatness he has shown for 1 season.

Because remember it took Keenum to play out of his mind to take them to the NFC championship and so that is likely what will be needed of Cousins this year too.

Plus let’s all not act like Cousins hasn’t had weapons in Washington. He has been inconsistent. There is a reason his GM basically gave him a hard pass.

6 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Without looking, it's likely that was his signing bonus money. Which he already was paid when he signed. Then again, every time I think I know how this works, I'm wrong. Unless Chili is correcting me:) hahaha

Yeah its all signing bonus fwiw

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I am always astounded by fans who fear the vikes, happens all the time though

I bet against the vikes winning the Super Bowl 57 years in a row and my bankroll stands at an even eleventy million dollars

I'll roll the dice again, betting against them and I'll collect again. Same as always. Meanwhile, scaredy- cat Pack fans will wax eloquently on about how improved they are, how good their players are, how awesome Zimmer is etc etc.

It won't matter - it never does. They've been the most talented team many times but they never put it all together and always find new and interesting ways to screw the pooch. Sometimes its a whiff from 27 yards, sometimes its a whiff from 39. Sometimes you wonder why they even ponder passing there, after all this ain't Detroit. 

Why waste a good diaper by loading it with purple-tinged soil ?

I do hope they have a decent season and knock off some of the other NFC challengers, but I ain't worried about minny being their at the end, they won't be

And Zimmer isn't signing guys like Richardson because he thinks he has an shutdown defense, he's signing Richardson because he watched Newton, Brees and Foles carve up his beloved defense at the end of 2017.

That’s exactly what the Bears and Vikings were saying about the Packers for 20 years during the futile 70’s and 80’s.  How ironic.

Archived