2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not worth it haha. I'm a big grammar guy, but phones make it tough.

I only purposely make mistakes if I know they annoy people. HtZ loved the thread about us resigning Adams.

I too value the written and spoken word, however the computer, accumulated laziness and distance - have eroded my English 101 skills. My larger problem is a left index finger typo factor. Not sure if its the transmission from the brain to that finger thats faulty or the digit fails to comply to instruction, but "it" comes out "of" - or - "or" - comes out "of". Its those small, two letter words where that finger fails me. I'm considering whether to renew its contract or pickup a FA.  :)

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I too value the written and spoken word, however the computer, accumulated laziness and distance - have eroded my English 101 skills. My larger problem is a left index finger typo factor. Not sure if its the transmission from the brain to that finger thats faulty or the digit fails to comply to instruction, but "it" comes out "of" - or - "or" - comes out "of". Its those small, two letter words where that finger fails me. I'm considering whether to renew its contract or pickup a FA.  :)

I have a solution...

0292462a-50b2-4c61-9faa-e1c55143a48c.jpg

Just now, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I have a solution...

0292462a-50b2-4c61-9faa-e1c55143a48c.jpg

No, no.....appreciate the thought and consideration - but in the panoply of issues - my two letter word issue doesnt rank. Besides - thats what the edit feature is for no? 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

No, no.....appreciate the thought and consideration - but in the panoply of issues - my two letter word issue doesnt rank. Besides - thats what the edit feature is for no? 

No edits allowed all misspells must last forever!

We have that exact paper cutter at work, I have a couple of nice scars on the back of my hand from it.  That SOB is sharp!

Anyway, FAs.  Has Robert Ayers signed yet? I think that would be a good piece for a rotation like Brooks was last season.  Also... What is Brooks doing?

2 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

We have that exact paper cutter at work, I have a couple of nice scars on the back of my hand from it.  That SOB is sharp!

Did you happen to glance at the Instruction Manuel? Just say'in :)

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Graham isn't as big a name as you insist it is and the only reason you insist it is is because he's an exciting receiving tight end and not an excellent blocking tight end like Bennett was.

As far as talent and age, there's no difference between Graham and Bennett except Bennett was younger and a blocker while Graham is older and a receiver.  No matter how many times you say there's a difference.  

I personally never liked Jimmy Graham, although I thought he was a special talent. But are you really arguing Graham isn't a "bigger name" than Martellus freaking Bennett? Have you been following the NFL for the last ~decade? He and Gronk have been the premier TEs in the league. HOF candidate caliber player.  Martellus Bennett? Not so much. 

13 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I personally never liked Jimmy Graham, although I thought he was a special talent. But are you really arguing Graham isn't a "bigger name" than Martellus freaking Bennett? Have you been following the NFL for the last ~decade? He and Gronk have been the premier TEs in the league. HOF candidate caliber player.  Martellus Bennett? Not so much. 

Jimmy Graham has not even called a HOF candidate throughout his time in Seattle.  His HOF hype ended five years ago when he was traded to the Seahawks.

if he was as OMG HYPE as you insist he is, he would not have cost only 9 million more over three years than Bennett.  

It's almost literally no different from Peppers signing with us.  HOF career with first team, a letdown with his second team.  The only difference is position and when in free agency he was signed.

Keep accusing me of minimizing the signing, but the facts, contract, age, and comparable signings by Thompson add up.  

In spite of all the "are you kidding me's," and "you can't be serious'," the only difference right now is that Gute got out of bed earlier in free agency than Thompson did.  That's it.

32 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

IIRC Bennett was seen as a better signing last offseason than Graham is this year.  

Blasphemy!  

You're right though.  People were acting like we'd just landed the best blocking right end in the league and the most underrated receiving option.  The best people can say about Graham is that they hope he has a Gonzalez type end to his career.  

I like the Graham signing.  A lot.  It's going to fix this offense if he stays healthy, it's going to make Cobb effective again and it's going to do wonders for Rodgers.  To act like it's a massive departure from Packer free agency over the last few years of Ted's time here is just ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

IIRC Bennett was seen as a better signing last offseason than Graham is this year.  

I think at least from the average poster/fan's perspective you're probably correct and there's a few reasons I think that's the case.

1) We finally made a big splash vs. that big splash failing. Unbridled enthusiasm vs. cautious after being burned.

2) Patriots vs. Seahawks... coming from Patriots who are infallible and everything they touch is gold vs. coming from a team we hate so we convince ourselves everyone they have sucks.

3) Age... it seems silly that a few months makes a difference but the big bad 30 is a thing people notice. 29 is still young. 30 is too old.

4) Money... it seems silly that a few dollars makes a difference but once contracts hit 10+ per year it's a thing. 3/27 is cheap. 3/30 is expensive.

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Jimmy Graham has not even called a HOF candidate throughout his time in Seattle.  His HOF hype ended five years ago when he was traded to the Seahawks.

if he was as OMG HYPE as you insist he is, he would not have cost only 9 million more over three years than Bennett.  

It's almost literally no different from Peppers signing with us.  HOF career with first team, a letdown with his second team.  The only difference is position and when in free agency he was signed.

Keep accusing me of minimizing the signing, but the facts, contract, age, and comparable signings by Thompson add up.  

In spite of all the "are you kidding me's," and "you can't be serious'," the only difference right now is that Gute got out of bed earlier in free agency than Thompson did.  That's it.

You're literally agreeing with what I first stated. The Graham Signing is on par with Peppers. Ted Thompson had two of those signings in over a decade with Woodson being  more impactful. Gutey isn't even through his first Free agency foray yet and also added Wilkerson.

Graham has the potential to be HOF. Bennet does not.

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

You're literally agreeing with what I first stated. The Graham Signing is on par with Peppers.

Okay, fine.  Graham/Peppers, Cook/Wilkerson.  What the hell are we arguing for? 

Thompson signed Woodson and Pickett in free agency.  Hall of Famer and a better DL on a longer deal.

Gute has not proven to be noticeably different than Thompson and I don't know why you insist he is. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Thompson signed Woodson and Pickett in free agency.  Hall of Famer and a better DL on a longer deal.

Gute has not proven to be noticeably different than Thompson and I don't know why you insist he is. 

To me, we will find out if Gute is different than TT post June 1 cuts and then especially with in-season moves. Will he round out and fill holes on the roster after the draft with anyone but UDFAs? If so, he's different than TT. Will he make in-season moves including a trade or a vet pickup following a injury, versus just raiding the practice squad? If so, he's very different from TT.

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Because Gutey has been a GM for weeks and you're already throwing him under the bus for more of the same. He's already acquired the number and caliber of players ( not via draft) that are somewhat comparable to what TT did through his entire tenure as GM. Much too soon to judge that he's not going to be different .

Pickett's deal may have been longer but he sure wasn't a better DL than Wilkerson.

* BTW I think most fanbases would have been absolutely thrilled to have enjoyed the success the Packers had under TT. Admittedly, some of the last couple years of TT drafting were relatively poor.

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

Because Gutey has been a GM for weeks and you're already throwing him under the bus for more of the same. He's already acquired the number and caliber of players ( not via draft) that are somewhat comparable to what TT did through his entire tenure as GM. Much too soon to judge that he's not going to be different .

I'm not throwing him under the bus.  When did I ever throw him under the bus for anything but his trade of Randall?

I'm saying all of this because I believe even when you desperately try, players don't want to sign with Green Bay unless we COMPLETELY overpay for them or unless they're old and looking for rings.

That's been true for as long as Green Bay has been Green Bay. 

Do you not ever wonder why crap teams like the Dolphins and Jaguars and Jets and Redskins and so many other teams sign so many more free agents than teams like Buffalo and Green Bay?

You yourself brought up the fact that Graham is a top 4 free agent signing in the past 20 years.  How many GM's have we had in the past 20 years?  Sherman signed Johnson to approximately a billion more than he was worth because it was the only way he COULD sign him. 

Players do not want to sign with Green Bay if any other location is available to them.  I don't know why people refuse to accept this. 

Archived