2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, packfanfb said:

To me, we will find out if Gute is different than TT post June 1 cuts and then especially with in-season moves. Will he round out and fill holes on the roster after the draft with anyone but UDFAs? If so, he's different than TT. Will he make in-season moves including a trade or a vet pickup following a injury, versus just raiding the practice squad? If so, he's very different from TT.

I'd like this twice if I could.  It's the one area other than in-season moves I'm most excited/anxious about.  Thompson's absolute refusal to add non-Packers in the middle of the season was his downfall, and it cost us a chance at a Super Bowl in at least two years.  One piece could have been the difference in 2014, 2015 and maybe even 2016 if he had made a move early as soon as he knew Shields was done. 

Simply laughable that some of you are grading / comparing this off-season to last year by the amount of people we've signed, or "lack of activity" that we've had. Or that you think someone was a bigger signing than someone else of years past.

We still have what, five weeks, before the NFL draft takes place. Sure, we didn't over pay for some of the guys we all would have loved to see in Green and Gold, but give it time. Far too many impatient individuals in here. Let everything run its course and then come to a conclusion. 

35 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Players do not want to sign with Green Bay if any other location is available to them.  I don't know why people refuse to accept this. 

Graham and Wilkerson literally had other offers and chose GB. How many places did Wilkerson visit before choosing GB?4?

Graham's old team and QB were courting him hard and he chose GB.

Peppers had other offers from the Patriots, ect.

How many GB free agents have chosen not to re-sign in GB?

This is  groupthink  simplification and not based on facts. Perhaps some FAs don't want to live in a small town, but there are more instances of players wanting to play GB than vice versa. But the whole notion that no NFL players want to be in GB is dumb and proven false. I think the only instance of a guy not wanting to be in GB was Woodson and he turned out to love it and sign an extension.

Just now, Zing said:

Simply laughable that some of you are grading / comparing this off-season to last year by the amount of people we've signed, or "lack of activity" that we've had.

Name one person that has said there's been a lack of activity.  Don't put something in quotes if literally nobody said it. 

It's been nearly two weeks since free agency started.  We've signed two players, one of which had been released.  By this time last year we had signed three with a fourth coming March 24th.  How is it simply laughable for anyone that's not acting like a snob?

Are you the comparison police? 

Additionally, who is complaining?  Who is acting impatient?  Maybe you're just incapable of reading that my argument is that things weren't different in the start of free agency as they had been for Thompson's time.

Is it okay to compare a start of free agency when the start of free agency is over, or do I have to wait for post-start of free agency to compare start of free agencies?  How does that make any sense? 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Exactly right.

This concept that there are separate, distinct and coequal power centers within the 1265 operation is simply a myth. Its Gutes show.

It's amazing the level of denial you're showing here. Dismissing it as a myth when it's not only entirely possible, but the events unfolding before our eyes and ears damn near spell it out for you. Even the media has shown no restraint questioning the structure Murphy put in place and how this is anything but Gute's show. He simply does not have full autonomy over operations. It's widely known that Mike McCarthy has been given a weekly platform with Murphy to add his input to the mix. And if you put 2 and 2 together, you'll see that McCarthy infamous comments about "fit" were the impetus for the last minute compromise from Ball to Gutekunst as GM. Not exactly an empowering situation for Gutekunst to be cast into. And now, when given evidence that the Packers are still sending out the same lowball offers as they did under Ted Thompson, you still think things are going to change under the new regime. The common denominator of both is Russ Ball, the man who was supposed to replace Ted. Again I ask anyone reading this (not just the guy who jumps in to poo poo it every time) - which is more likely...

Gutekunst is Ted 2.0 and expects free agents to come to Green Bay at a discount because of our history and the presence of Aaron Rodgers? (see article linked below)

-OR-

Gutekunst would like to be more aggressive, knows free agents go where the most money is, but has been hamstrung by the contract negotiator who retained the same far-reaching power over contracts he previously held under the previous regime. An influence emboldened by the fact he was the first choice to be the new GM and ensured by the triumvirate of power Mark Murphy put in place.

It honestly doesn't matter which of those anyone thinks is more likely because they're both terrible news. Whether these lowball offers are due to Ball or Gutekunst, the result is the same.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/03/21/dougherty-same-old-same-old-packers-free-agency/446570002/

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

Graham and Wilkerson literally had other offers and chose GB. How many places did Wilkerson visit before choosing GB?4?

Graham's old team and QB were courting him hard and he chose GB.

Peppers had other offers from the Patriots, ect.

How many GB free agents have chosen not to re-sign in GB?

And how do you know that Graham and Wilkerson were offered more by those other teams?  Saints have 2 million dollars in cap space right now. 

How are you even trying to use Wilkerson's post-Green Bay visits as a point for YOUR argument?  Wilkerson visited here and then visited other places.  Don't you kinda maybe sorta possibly think that means he wasn't sold on Green Bay after his visit?  Don't you think that kinda sorta maybe possibly means he was trying to get a better or equal deal from someone else? 

Graham's old team and QB were courting him with 2 million dollars in cap space?  Lol. 

Patriots, etc.  Got a link?  Other than your alter ego?  Because I'm pretty sure that Patriots interest was his FIRST time hitting free agency.  Peppers came here and said he wanted to get a deal done.  He was a 30+ year old player chasing a ring.  Like I said.  And like I continue to say.  And like you continue to neglect in your responses.  You'd be able to find one example of a super big 27 or younger free agent signing a mega contract with us.  You can't.  Not for 30 years. 

Lol.  What?  How many GB free agents have chosen not to re-sign in GB?  You want me to make a sortable list?  Jennings, Hyde, Heyward, Burnett...

but there are plenty of instances of players wanting to play GB.

PROVE IT

You can't just say it and make it true.  Prove there's no difference between free agency signings in small market areas and other teams.  Buffalo/Green Bay.  Hyde is one of Buffalo's biggest free agent signings and he went from small market to small market. 

Literally nobody has proven that there isn't a difference between players choosing a large market versus a small market.  Nobody.  The Packers haven't signed a big name free agent under 28 years old in 30 years, and neither have the Bills.  You want me to show you how many such players the Jaguars have signed?  The Texans?  The Dolphins?  The 49ers, Chargers...

Whatever the reason, Gute or Ball, I don't even have a problem with not signing big name free agents.  Don't think that's how you win Super Bowls.  I think you win Super Bowls through bargain free agents, post June first signings, value trades and in-season moves as well as having strong drafts.

As long as we somehow, someway add corners, I'll see this as the best offseason we've had in a long time. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Literally nobody has proven that there isn't a difference between players choosing a large market versus a small market.  Nobody.  The Packers haven't signed a big name free agent under 28 years old in 30 years, and neither have the Bills.  You want me to show you how many such players the Jaguars have signed?  The Texans?  The Dolphins?  The 49ers, Chargers...

And all of those teams have had a ton of cap space traditionally, so money still does the talking . Plus Florida taxes help... signing the same contract in Wisconsin and Florida, you see more of the money in Florida.

I agree ultimately with you because just look at humans in general. Certain guys want small town, others don’t. A guy like Odell probably wouldn’t willing choose GB. But let’s also understand money talks. Green Bay hasn’t had the luxury of a ton of available cap space for the last 5-10 years.

Archived