Alex Smith seems like a steal now with these new QB contracts

Vladimir L

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

We probably need to get a RB.

Would love to target one in the 2nd round.

A guy like guice.

Isn't there a guy named Chubb who's pretty good, too?

Is he out of Georgia?

I’d rather have Sonny Michel, Keyrron Johnson (Auburn) or Ronald Jones (USC) than Nick Chubb. 

Nick is a good back too but the others have more explosion. We need a running back who is a cross between Thompson and Perine/Kelley, not a running back who’s very similar to Perine and Kelley IMO.  

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I thought you meant their body of works in the 2017 season. I’m sorry I misunderstood but it still blows my mind how two very intelligent posters are taking my post out of context to just take a jab at me.

If we want to talk about “full body of work” from when Kirk entered the league. Alex was a better qb than Kirk from 2012-2014. Kirk was better than Alex in 2015 and 2016.

Alex was better than Kirk in 2017. 

I’ll go over the numbers again! In 15 games played in 2017 Alex had only 1 less TD and 51 less yards than Kirk despite the fact that Alex sat out week 17. Alex had 14 less turnovers than Kirk in 2017. Alex’s rating in 2017 was 104.7 vs Kirk’s 93.9.

Again, Kirk wasn' the starter from 2012-2014.

You're still going by total stats. When @Wozand I are telling you, the better way to compare is by rates.

You then come back and tell me you can't go by rates because <insert some total stat here> proves you are right. I'm NOT disputing total stats. I'm disputing your metric for evaluation of both QBs.

The comical part to me is the merrygo round that we continue to go on in regards to this very important point

5 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I can't imagine this post is doing anything to keep things civil. 

A) No attacks were levied. I'm talking about the merrygo round my friend Turtle and I are engaged in

B) I've been very civil

C) Condescending and passive aggressive "shaming" doesn't work on me.

D) Complaints about me? PM Webby

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You're still going by total stats. When @Wozand I are telling you, the better way to compare is by rates.

You then come back and tell me you can't go by rates because <insert some total stat here> proves you are right. I'm NOT disputing total stats. I'm disputing your metric for evaluation of both QBs.

The comical part to me is the merrygo round that we continue to go on in regards to this very important point

img_1625.jpg

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Sure, Kirk wasn’t starting from 2012-14 and the reason why is because he wasn’t worthy of starting aka Alex Smith was better in those years.

Well it seems to me that you don’t believe Alex Smith can repeat the season he had last year or even do better in Gruden’s pass first offense. That seems to be the main disagreement and there’s no way of knowing that true answer until the 2018-19 season is over with.

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I found this info over @ES. Pretty interesting stuff, imo.

Play-action pass completion percentage leaders:
1. Alex Smith: 75.0%
2. Deshaun Watson: 71.4%
3. Josh McCown: 68.4%
4. Case Keenum: 68.3%
5. Drew Brees: 67.0%
6. Aaron Rodgers: 66.7%
7. Tom Brady: 66.4%
8. Marcus Mariota: 66.0%
9. Brian Hoyer: 66.0%
10. Matthew Stafford: 65.8% pic.twitter.com/KeeA2IqLZb
— RotoUnderworld (@rotounderworld) February 21, 2018

Dump offs and short throws = high comp %

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Well it seems to me that you don’t believe Alex Smith can repeat the season he had last year or even do better in Gruden’s pass first offense.

Do you think its reasonable to assume a player will repeat or even do better than the best season they've ever had?  

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Dump offs and short throws = high comp %

I remember reading as stat where Alex Smith was either the best deep throwing qb last year or near the top in that category. I think it was from JP Finlay’s twitter or something he retweeted a few weeks back.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Sure, Kirk wasn’t starting from 2012-14 and the reason why is because he wasn’t worthy of starting aka Alex Smith was better in those years.

Well it seems to me that you don’t believe Alex Smith can repeat the season he had last year or even do better in Gruden’s pass first offense. That seems to be the main disagreement and there’s no way of knowing that true answer until the 2018-19 season is over with.

Agreed. We won't know until next January my friend.

Your crystal ball is as clear as mine right now

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Do you think its reasonable to assume a player will repeat or even do better than the best season they've ever had?  

Of course I do. If you don’t believe a player can get better each year in his prime than that seems like a very unreasonable opinion to me.

Don’t you think Kirk Cousins will continue to get better? Because I do.

I remember reading as stat where Alex Smith was either the best deep throwing qb last year or near the top in that category. I think it was from JP Finlay’s twitter or something he retweeted a few weeks back.

Geez...we've literally been over this ad museum Turtle. He had the #1 RB and the #1TE and the fastest #1 WR.

LAST YEAR...was an aberration.

The ES stats are not just from last year

Of course I do. If you don’t believe a player can get better each year in his prime than that seems like a very unreasonable opinion to me.

Progression? Sure.

Blip? No.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9... now predict the next number

2,3,3,2,4,3,2,2,10... now predict the next number

You get the point?

Let me rephrase.  Do you think its reasonable to expect a 34 year old QB that's been in the NFL 12 years to repeat or perform better than the best season he's ever had?

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Geez...we've literally been over this ad museum Turtle. He had the #1 RB and the #1TE and the fastest #1 WR.

LAST YEAR...was an aberration.

The ES stats are not just from last year

So, last year doesn’t count?

I really don’t understand why you have to go to the total opposite positon on this point.

I mean, with the way you’re using this opinion it’d be the same as you saying the only reason Kirk threw for 4900 yards was because he had Djax, Garçon answer Reed and we all know that isn’t true.

Smith didn’t just have the best season of his weapons, he just happened to have his best statistical season in 2017 and his weapons did too. Just like Cousins didn’t just have good seasons because of Djax, Garçon, Crowder and Reed. They all just had good seasons together in 2015 and 16.

Archived