Does Jimmy Garoppolo Deserve The Contract San Francisco Gave Him?

sportsfan100200

When I see this topic come up, for those against it, it's usually about sample size. If you're talking about sample size, how big do you need?? 10 games, 12, full season, 2 seasons?? What, or is there a magic number to where you'll feel comfortable?? 

There's always going to be a risk. 

No many quarterbacks deserve the money they get. It's just the way the market is due to the impact of the position. Every situation is different though. You can't just look at the basic statline. Jimmy in seven NFL starts has looked like a top quarterback. Yes, it's only seven NFL starts. However, like I've said before the deck was completely stacked against Jimmy to succeed. Traded to terrible team midseason, no training camp, very limited time to get reps before making first start, no run game, bad offensive line, and very little time to learn the nuances of a complex offense. Yet he still averaged 300 yards per game, lead the NFL in YPA, and was a top DVOA candidate. That isn't normal. So it's either a grand hoax, or Jimmy is the real deal. 

The worst that happens is that the 49ers are back to square one, where they have been for the last nearly 20 years. Steve Young was the last great QB the 49ers had. 

13 hours ago, the-catch said:

Contracts many times aren't given for what the player's done, but what potential he brings.

It's a gamble, it really is. You're betting that by year 3 of this deal, he'll be a bargain. The "safe" thing to say is the franchise tag. But he plays on the tag and plays well, then next year, he's costing us a lot more. It's a gamble in order to save money in the long run, but it was also a show of confidence. It's telling Jimmy : "We believe in you enough to make this bet". So that sends a message to everyone in the organization, really. And it seems to be working, because the enthusiasm is through the roof.

Just look at Reuben. A month ago, in the uncertainty of the negotiations, he was only doing minor drug possession things. Now that confidence has set in, he moves up to real offenses! Thank you, Jimmy!

From the sample he gave us--I don't care that it was small--yes, he does. For one thing, this makes SF look serious about becoming a contender and thus more attractive to FAs. Had we low-balled him, he may have balked and/or walked, which may have alienated FAs (even if we tagged him). I see a drive in Garoppolo that will prevent him from becoming complacent or satisfied. I believe we could win multiple SBs if all 'players' (including FO) are on board, cooperating.

Maybe wishful thinking, but this is the best I have felt about the path our team is taking since 2012.

Archived