BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

13 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think that the 3 teams that are 2-1-1 would go above the 3 2-2 teams.

Agreed...I had the formula tied to the wrong column.  I've fixed it and have updated the last posting.

Let me know if that corrected the issue or if it created more issues.

Thanks.

Question about the bench players.

So a couple weeks ago I got dinged on listing A. Kamara on the bench as a RB/WR.  My game plan was to run a spread offense in which Kamara's main role in that game was to be the 4th receiver with T. Coleman as the primary running back.

Since then, I've been paying more attention to the listed starters and bench players on other teams, pointing out that Portlands lineup was obviously geared to go vertical as the lineup had listed 4 starting receivers, but that the game plan alluded that the tight end was going to be heavily involved. 

So I'm still trying to figure out what the bench is for, I know its there for players that might be questionable going into the week, and it's heavily used to sub players out.  For teams looking to run the spread offense as well as run some two TE sets, I find it difficult to build my lineup around that with only 11 starting slots.  So my question is whats the best way to layout your lineup without getting dinged for not having the right personnel listed as starters? 

12 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Love me some Prairie.

When I was in the basic training, some of the guys still thought Oklahomans lived in Teepees, hunted buffalos and was chased by tornadoes every day. 

And I thought everyone from California were "different" and everyone from New York was in the mob.

Edited by ny92mike

11 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Question about the bench players.

So a couple weeks ago I got dinged on listing A. Kamara on the bench as a RB/WR.  My game plan was to run a spread offense in which Kamara's main role in that game was to be the 4th receiver with T. Coleman as the primary running back.

Since then, I've been paying more attention to the listed starters and bench players on other teams, pointing out that Portlands lineup was obviously geared to go vertical as the lineup had listed 4 starting receivers, but that the game plan alluded that the tight end was going to be heavily involved. 

So I'm still trying to figure out what the bench is for, I know its there for players that might be questionable going into the week, and it's heavily used to sub players out.  For teams looking to run the spread offense as well as run some two TE sets, I find it difficult to build my lineup around that with only 11 starting slots.  So my question is whats the best way to layout your lineup without getting dinged for not having the right personnel listed as starters? 

This is something that I'm still trying to figure out myself. Like this week on offense I tried listing those that would see the field at the top of the bench and left the reserve QB/OL for the bottom to see if that would help. I feel like it's especially bad on defense as I feel like I (and others) have gotten dinged for listing 2 CBs vs an opponent listing 3 WRs and vice versa, despite it being accounted for in the gameplan.

It's kind of like catchers "framing" pitches in baseball. In a lot of ways we are all trying to convey the same concepts, but the way in which you portray them is, in a lot of ways, more important.

11 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

When I was in the basic training, some of the guys still thought Oklahomans lived in Teepees, hunted buffalos and was chased by tornadoes every day. 

And I thought everyone from California were "different" and everyone from New York was in the mob.

When I was younger I once had someone ask me if I rode a tractor to school, like Oklahoma was just one big farm or something haha.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Whicker said:

This is something that I'm still trying to figure out myself. Like this week on offense I tried listing those that would see the field at the top of the bench and left the reserve QB/OL for the bottom to see if that would help. I feel like it's especially bad on defense as I feel like I (and others) have gotten dinged for listing 2 CBs vs an opponent listing 3 WRs and vice versa, despite it being accounted for in the gameplan.

It's kind of like catchers "framing" pitches in baseball. In a lot of ways we are all trying to convey the same concepts, but the way in which you portray them is, in a lot of ways, more important.

Right....I see a lot of 43 defenses leaving off the third linebacker in the starter side in place of a corner.

I'd like to see this more attention from others in hopes of getting a better understanding.   

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I meant the brewery, Prairie. You like them?

The starters listed is your base that you work out of.  If you explain sub packages with players coming in off your bench in your write-up, great.  To me, it does matter if you send out non nickel defense against a team that starts 4 wide every week.  Or conversely send out a dime against a team that runs a 6 man Oline power running attack every week.

Playing 3D chess every week to bring a lineup that accounts for every possible lineup isn't realistic either.  There is a pleasant medium that a reasonable voter should find acceptable.

Edited by pheltzbahr
  • Like 6