Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

how long as the 5th year 1st rd pick option been in place? Im not sure when it became a thing. I think over the past 5 years only 2 QBs have been selected in the beginning of the 2nd rd or close to it. Carr and Geno Smith. I think if its close, its smarter to trade up into the 1st for a QB

No QBs at pick 33 this decade at least.  I didnt look back any further.

1 hour ago, duke2056 said:

Easily.  I think there are a LOT of teams who would give a future 1st for picks 33 or 35.  Straight up though. 

Some of the better teams would probably give a 3rd back this year.  

I would personally rather deal them straight up to teams I think have a great chance to suck. 

33 straight up for a first next year i wouldnt do.  unless you think that the players in that range are not very good compared to other years.

Lot of people talk about how nice it is (or would be in the past) to have pick 33 and have it on the block for like 17 hours before day 2, but I think the reality is that NFL teams are just a LITTLE more prepared for all the scenarios than us, and pick 33 doesn't magically become super valuable over night.

3 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Question: Why do so many people have us taking a DT at back end of round 1 or the top of round 2? Our DT situation is miles better than our pass rush. 

maybe we could use some interior paqss rush *shrug *  i dunno

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

33 straight up for a first next year i wouldnt do.  unless you think that the players in that range are not very good compared to other years.

Depends on the team.  I would imagine there are at least a handful of teams I would make that deal with without hesitation.  I am fully on board with dealing both picks for 2019 1sts in a straight up swap depending who the teams are.  No question.

5 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Depends on the team.  I would imagine there are at least a handful of teams I would make that deal with without hesitation.  I am fully on board with dealing both picks for 2019 1sts in a straight up swap depending who the teams are.  No question.

Yeah a lot of folks don’t like waiting, but you’re getting more value for the pick by doing so.  It’s simply maximizing an asset.

It especially makes sense when we have as many high picks as we do this year.  We don’t need to use every one this year.

9 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah a lot of folks don’t like waiting, but you’re getting more value for the pick by doing so.  It’s simply maximizing an asset.

It especially makes sense when we have as many high picks as we do this year.  We don’t need to use every one this year.

dont get me wrong im not against trading 33 or 35 for future picks in the 1st round, but you're giving up value even if you think that the team you're trading with will be awful.
dallas got our 1st in 2008 for our super high pick in the 2nd of 2007.  imagine if they didnt get anything else, they moved up like 20 spots a year later for doing nothing else.
oof.

need like a 3rd this year or a 3rd next year as well or something.

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

i mean we got REALLY lucky with houston this year.  like we got REALLY lucky that watson tore his ACL.

If he didnt the pick would still be a mid 1st.  

And since when is moving up "only 20 spots" such a bad thing?  If you told me we would trade picks 33 and 35 for 2019 picks 13 and 15, ummmmmm, yeah, duh, sign me up for that.

Just now, duke2056 said:

Would anyone want to trade our 2019 1st straight up for pick 34 this year/?????  Jesus I hope not.

no, but a team who has consistently made the playoffs might find it tempting.

1 minute ago, duke2056 said:

If he didnt the pick would still be a mid 1st.  

And since when is moving up "only 20 spots" such a bad thing?  If you told me we would trade picks 33 and 35 for 2019 picks 13 and 15, ummmmmm, yeah, duh, sign me up for that.

not a bad thing.  just not enough of a good thing.

what if i told you we traded 33 and 35 for 31 and 32 next year 
lol
what a bust that would be

7 minutes ago, mistakey said:

no, but a team who has consistently made the playoffs might find it tempting.

not a bad thing.  just not enough of a good thing.

what if i told you we traded 33 and 35 for 31 and 32 next year 
lol
what a bust that would be

So the absolute 1 in a billion worst case scenario is still better value?  Sign me up.

5 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

So the absolute 1 in a billion worst case scenario is still better value?  Sign me up.

the year of talent playing for your team that you've literally evaporated into thin air is definitely not worth moving up 2 spots a year later.  there are a bunch of cases that this happens to.

13 minutes ago, mistakey said:

the year of talent playing for your team that you've literally evaporated into thin air is definitely not worth moving up 2 spots a year later.  there are a bunch of cases that this happens to.

Also cases of getting a very high pick.  Your point?

I think we all know which teams NOT to make this kind deal with.

Archived